Finally decided to do it!

sweet sensation

Ok, I have been reading through a lot of threads in here and also at threads I have posted over the years and me and my husband have been doing a lot of talking, thinking and working out over the past few days (and years really) but now feel that the time is right to just do it!

We decided after our first visit in June 2005 that we wanted to live in Ibiza one day and ever since then we have been trying to think of ideas for a business opportunity that we can live off. We have had loads of ideas but unfortunately so have other people and after lots of research discovered that these businesses already exist in Ibiza.

So we have thought s0d it, lets just get 'jobs' rather than trying to be entrepeneurs :lol: We have some contacts and a good chance of work when we do eventually move there. We recently sold our house (after 3 years on and off of trying) and have gone back to renting cos we knew we didnt want to stay in the UK long term plus my husband has just lost his job and we have also had a small inheritance so feel now (well next year) is the time to go.

But things have changed since we first wanted to live there! We now have 2 babies, well a 2 1/2 year old and a just turned 1 year old, so we now have to think of schools etc aswell.

I think realistically it will take us 1 1/2 years to get completely sorted so the plan is to move there in Oct 2012. Im guessing after the season accomodation will be easier and cheaper to find then?

I am going to have loads of questions the more I think of them but for now I just would like some advice on what we REALLY need to be thinking about before we make the move. We will be able to pay 6 months rent in advance (maybe more), will this make it easier to find somewhere? How much would a 3 bedroom house/apartment/small villa cost per month? Where are the best places to look for this? When do I need to start thinking about schools? What are they like, how much do they cost? Do mothers get any help financially like they do in the UK eg tax credits? What is the average cost of living for a family of 4, food, bills etc? We have a basic grasp of spanish but will be looking to improve this over the next year. We also have a variety of other skills we have picked up in jobs over the years and my husband is looking to get more training in IT engineering, would this be of use in Ibiza?

I guess thats enough for now. I really hope you can help with this as we really dont know where to start but definately know that the time has come to 'just do it'! :D

Thank you in advance :D

I think realistically it will take us 1 1/2 years to get completely sorted so the plan is to move there in Oct 2012. Im guessing after the season accomodation will be easier and cheaper to find then?

i'm not sure the timing is a good idea. yeah you'd be able to find accomm easier, but if you get all year round rentals, they are pretty much the same price at whatever time of year you get them.

the main reason i'd advise against coming then, is that you'd then face 7/8 months potentially out of work before the season kicked in again and whatever savings/money you had would slowly dwindle away........pretty demoralising and stressful.

f you aim for feb-apr, the accomm would be more or less the same price and you'd have the season to get stuck into.

We will be able to pay 6 months rent in advance (maybe more), will this make it easier to find somewhere? How much would a 3 bedroom house/apartment/small villa cost per month? Where are the best places to look for this?

not necessarily a big factor, most places want 1-2 months deposit, 1 months rent and there is usually a fee to pay the agent, which is the value of 1 month's rent.

I'd say a 3 bed house/aprt you'd be looking at an average price of 1000€ maybe, depends where you wanna live and how nice you want it. maybe a bit less in san an area of somewhere in the middle of nowhere. So using the above, even your average place would need funds of 4k to start with (2months deposit, 1st month rent and fee).

Pick up some of the free property magazines when you come next and then a few months before you come, email them all to see what's available. obviously though, easiest thing is to be here. We found ours through a tiny rubbish little ad in Diario. couldn't believe it when we saw it!

When do I need to start thinking about schools? What are they like, how much do they cost? Do mothers get any help financially like they do in the UK eg tax credits?

depends when you move. for us, we ended up moving to the place where there was a school place. some villages and places are full, so it would have been no good living in sant josep as the local school was full.

i can't recommend the local schools enough, there is less money than your average school in the UK, but the method of education is much more widespread and non-linear or textbook than UK. more than that, the social and cultural aspect of their education and upbringing is given big importance, mainly because the teachers really do act in loco parentis. My kids are currently learning about Miro cos there is an exhibition about him here in Ibiza, the syllabus has taken a back seat, they are loving learning about art and his works.

People like to make a big deal about the catalan thing, i'm not going over that again. but it's stupid at best, ridiculous cringe-worthy snobbery at worst. my kids speak catalan and spanish fluently, it's just not an issue. my spanish is no worse off for having had to learn catalan either. i'm still trying to work out what the supposed negativie side of it is.

Local schools are free.

there is an english and french private school. they're quite expensive really and IMO don't justify the expense in the slightest. they are pretty much places for ex-pats to send their kids to school cos they're obviously too intelligent or better for the local schools. as a result, you can imagine the kids that go there.

there are no tax credits as such, altho low income families get support on some things. either way though, as you have no financial history in spain, you wouldn't be able to get these straight off anyway.

What is the average cost of living for a family of 4, food, bills etc? We have a basic grasp of spanish but will be looking to improve this over the next year. We also have a variety of other skills we have picked up in jobs over the years and my husband is looking to get more training in IT engineering, would this be of use in Ibiza?

no idea, depends on how much you eat, where you live, if you turn lights off or not, etc, etc. i really have no idea.

IT engineering. hmmm, i guess, not really sure. depends what he thinks he'd use it for.

thank you thank you thank you :D i have had a few messages regarding this but you have been very helpful. i will send you a private message as soon as i get a chance :D are you on fb?

me, my wife and daughter are doing a very similar thing. we are moving to the island february-ish 2012, pretty much got my work planned out and sorted, hopefully my wife wont have to work but we will see when have been there for the season really. same as what grego has said, you will struggle moving out at the end of the season due to everything seasonal closing down around that time. we have been looking at rentals privately and will save 200 euros roughly per month by not going through an agent. as long as you get a contract with the landlord you have the same rights as you would in the uk. schools have been our only worry but have decided on a local school young kids make friends and learn whatever the language or nationality. less than a year till we go!!! cant wait!!!

Back