Exchange

Thspence_uk

Doing a last minute short break. Will have enough money to get by the first few days but will need to get some Euros at some point.

Is there not much difference between doing withdrawals at the cashpoint compared to going to an exchange shop.

If the exchange shops are the better tell me the one to use in San An.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what bank you use. Check with them. I have no idea what rates any shop would do in San An but I've generally found that if your card / account is fee-free to use abroad, then you'll get a better deal using your card as they use the spot rate rather than a tourist exchange rate. Fees can negate or even wipe out the saving over using an exchange shop.

You might not have time now but I would recommend getting an account with Starling bank. They don't charge any fees for using the card abroad and you get near enough the bank rate for the exchange. I transfer my spends to that account and use that card while I'm away. They don't charge any fees for overseas ATM withdrawals either (some of the overseas banks do charge though). There are limits to how much you can withdraw per day but it's usually more than enough because I'll pay with card wherever I can, and that means carrying less cash around.

Back