European Countries Theme Nights

diver

To counteract the boredom of Covid and to appease a 19 year old, we came up with the following idea.

Each week (well every 8 days in my case due to shift pattern) we are going to try a Foodie themed night for a European Country. It starts tomorrow with Switzerland (@stivi @Moha ) mainly because we were looking at doing a Fondue after finding it in the back of the cupboard. The theme for the following week will be drawn out of the hat each preceding theme night.

I will be looking for guidance from forum members as we go along, feel free to join in.

So tomorrow its Cheese Fondue - any good recipes or pointers for the sauce, what to have with it? A desert? Swiss drinks? (I tried to find some Swiss Wine today in the supermarket, not a chance!!!).

To counteract the boredom of Covid and to appease a 19 year old, we came up with the following idea.

Each week (well every 8 days in my case due to shift pattern) we are going to try a Foodie themed night for a European Country. It starts tomorrow with Switzerland (@stivi @Moha ) mainly because we were looking at doing a Fondue after finding it in the back of the cupboard. The theme for the following week will be drawn out of the hat each preceding theme night.

I will be looking for guidance from forum members as we go along, feel free to join in.

So tomorrow its Cheese Fondue - any good recipes or pointers for the sauce, what to have with it? A desert? Swiss drinks? (I tried to find some Swiss Wine today in the supermarket, not a chance!!!).
Oh btw, important point is that we are Vegitarian

add a sip of cherry brandy to the fondue. and obviously get the right cheese, 50% gruyere, 50% vacherin

add a sip of cherry brandy to the fondue. and obviously get the right cheese, 50% gruyere, 50% vacherin
What do you normally dip in the sauce apart from bread?
If I can’t find Swiss wine, what’s the next best similar grape wise from 🇩🇪 or 🇫🇷 ?

If I can’t find Swiss wine, what’s the next best similar grape wise from 🇩🇪 or 🇫🇷 ?

Apples, pears, crusty bread, broccoli, etc. Pretty much anything goes good with cheese.

I personally drink a white from Bugey(Roussette du Bugey 💕) or Savoie (Chignin or Apremont),if you prefer a red, a Médoc, à Cadillac or a Corbières (my favorite).
I doubt you can buy a wine from Bugey in UK, but who knows... 🥂

Apples, pears, crusty bread, broccoli, etc. Pretty much anything goes good with cheese.

purists would only ever dip bread or at a push potatoes (steamed previously and then cut into big chunks) into the fondue. most actually just bread. you can have lots of stuff on the side (potatoes, veggies, pickles, even some sausages if you want), but into a proper cheese fondue you basically only ever dip bread into. buy various types of bread.

a friend of mine always has a glass of cherry brandy on the side and every third piece of bread he dips into the brandy first and then into the cheese. needless to say he ends up fairly drunk each time 🤣

Fondue savoyarde is one of my favorite dish during the winter ( along with raclette , pierrade and fondue bourguignonne ( same as fondue with cheese but instead of dipping bread into the cheese pot it’s meat into an oil pot )

I do it this way ( but I think that most of the Swiss or the French do the same way so I’m not telling anything special 😅)

Most important thing is buy the right cheese
For the Swiss one (2 cheese )gruyère and vacherin
For the French one ( 3 cheese ): comte , Beaufort and emmental or abondance
a nice baguette 🥖 ( bought the day before to be a bit dry )
I mix the cheese in the pot with a dry white wine , a bit of garlic and as Stivi said I put also a shot or 2 of kirsch inside (cherry)
That it really ...
A side salad sometimes..
And a good bottle of red wine 🍷

Last edited:
Fondue savoyarde is one of my favorite dish during the winter ( along with raclette , pierrade and fondue bourguignonne ( same as fondue with cheese but instead of dipping bread into the cheese pot it’s meat into an oil pot )

I do it this way ( but I think that most of the Swiss or the French do the same way so I’m not telling anything special 😅)

Most important thing is buy the right cheese
For the Swiss one (2 cheese )gruyère and vacherin
For the French one ( 3 cheese ): comte , Beaufort and emmental or abondance
a nice baguette 🥖 ( bought the day before to be a bit dry )
I mix the cheese in the pot with a dry white wine , a bit of garlic and as Stivi said I put also a shot or 2 of kirsch inside (cherry)
That it really ...
A side salad sometimes..
And a good bottle of red wine 🍷
( bought the day before to be a bit dry)
Je suis français, et j'approuve ce message 🧀

purists would only ever dip bread or at a push potatoes (steamed previously and then cut into big chunks) into the fondue. most actually just bread. you can have lots of stuff on the side (potatoes, veggies, pickles, even some sausages if you want), but into a proper cheese fondue you basically only ever dip bread into. buy various types of bread.

a friend of mine always has a glass of cherry brandy on the side and every third piece of bread he dips into the brandy first and then into the cheese. needless to say he ends up fairly drunk each time 🤣

One more important thing: NO cold drinks after the fondue.
Cherry brandy is supposed to make the fondue more digest.

One more important thing: NO cold drinks after the fondue.
Cherry brandy is supposed to make the fondue more digest.
I saw on "food unwrapped" that alcohol relaxes the stomach so feel better. But slows "digestive transit" so you end up feeling bit bunged up for longer.🙊

- fanta limon instead? 😂

Back