Driving from UK to Ibiza

Jessie_G

Hi there!
Can anyone offer advice and a simple breakdown of what we would need to get and do to ensure we are safe and legal ie: permits, insurance, kits to ensure the car is roadworthy etc
TIA

Amp and Deck

reflector stickers on your headlights
red triangle
hi viz vest
i worked on assumption my insurance covered me anywhere within EU (best to double check with your provider)
don't keep vehicle in Spain after 6 months otherwise you can get done - or have to get plates changed + re-register it as spanish vehicle

Amp and Deck

also..

I tend to drive a lot faster on french autoroutes - far fewer cameras and the further south you go the faster the general traffic gets. you can easily get sucked into 90-100mph without realising it. when you get to the pyrenees, stick to motorway. follow the toulouse to carcassonne route - avoid the mountain road through Foix. looks like a shortcut on the map - it really isn't! the ibz ferry from barcelona is pretty easy - virtually no facilities at the carport though. take your own supplies. it can get very hot there whilst you're waiting.

Amp and Deck

yes Stivi is right - carcassonne is beautiful. go for a meal in the cite, where the castle is

montauban is nice too

use the 'aires' - rest areas on side of autoroutes to stop off when you need a rest from driving - be aware though that many french toilets do not have seats! make contingency plans

I also noticed the village catalan stop-off on the spanish border serve some really nice food for a service station!

Vinyldreams

My vans do this trip every week if you like driving head for Lyon from Calais then head barcelona

If you don't like driving but like boats go Portsmouth to Bilbao then on to Valencia

The driving part is 14-16 hrs through France 2 it's a 2 dayer

Prime.mover

also..

I tend to drive a lot faster on french autoroutes - far fewer cameras and the further south you go the faster the general traffic gets. you can easily get sucked into 90-100mph without realising it. when you get to the pyrenees, stick to motorway. follow the toulouse to carcassonne route - avoid the mountain road through Foix. looks like a shortcut on the map - it really isn't! the ibz ferry from barcelona is pretty easy - virtually no facilities at the carport though. take your own supplies. it can get very hot there whilst you're waiting.
If you want to make a real holiday of it and add an extra day to your journey. then do go through Foix -- you can spend the night in Andorra. Well worth it for the scenery alone.