Catfish & The Bottlemen + The Bulletproof Bomb @ Ibiza Rocks (15-07-15)

McRackin

Super Moderator
Easily my favourite double bill of the season: Catfish & The Bottlemen supported by The Bulletproof Bomb... both ace bands!

But first, Difenders DJs. The bearded duo from Madrid, formed by Pepe and Dani, kicked things off with a set that got the early arrivals warmed up and dancing. Later they dj'd at Pikes too as they're part of the Rock Nights roster.

P1200933+-+copia.JPG

The Bulletproof Bomb are a band from Sutton (London) that burst onto the scene with their high-energy Indie Rock, which earned them support from Zane Lowe, XFM, etc. After playing last year at Ibiza Rocks The Snow in Meribel and this year at Fresh Out The Box in London (the series of events showcasing Ibiza Rocks HQ's favourite new music), this week they headed to the white isle and next week they'll be at the Croatia Rocks festival.

The five-piece were the first group to take part in the new Monday Rocks at Ibiza Rocks Bar, where they proved how exciting they are live and where I was amazed by the amount of energy they brought to the small venue. Early Clash meets early Arctics, whispered to my ear the old forum member mrlk and I think that description suits them well. Last night the young lads did it again, playing various of the songs that will be part of their first album in which they're currently working on (like "Suitcase", "1-10", "Life Is So F**king Boring" or "Five Green Bottles") and also covered Elvis Costello ("Pump It Up", sung by the keyboardist).

The Bulletproof Bomb are about to explode, you've been warned!

P1210023+-+copia.JPG

When we saw them opening for Jake Bugg last summer, Catfish & The Bottlemen only had a few singles out and were relatively unknown but their short performance made a very good impression on me. Two months later, the Welsh rockers released their debut album The Balcony to mass critical acclaim.

After having played in some of the biggest summer festivals across Europe these last weeks (Southside and Hurricane in Germany, Glastonbury in England, Rock Werchter in Belgium, BBK Live in Spain and T In The Park in Scotland), Catfish & The Bottlemen returned to the Balearics as headliners to play in such an intimate setting as the Ibiza Rocks Hotel courtyard. The quartet blow us away again with their deliciously infectious melodies and we were able to hear live all eleven tracks from their first album. It would've been nice to hear some new tune or some cover, but when you have crackers like "Pacifier", "Fallout", "26", "Business", "Kathleen", "Homesick" (played in acoustic version by the band's frontman Van McCann), "Cocoon" or "Tyrants" you don't need any extras.

Not sure if they're the best guitar band since the Arctic Monkeys, as Ibiza Rocks co-founder Andy McKay proclaimed, but these guys for sure know how to put on a top-notch performance!

P1210338+-+copia.JPG

On a curious note, the members of The Bulletproof Bomb were among the crowd, instead of in the VIP, enjoying the concert of Catfish & The Bottlemen with the rest of us... cool dudes!

Next week Ibiza Rocks celebrates its 10th birthday party with The Libertines and Slaves. Tickets on Spotlight are selling fast so better get yours before they sell out...

That catfish band f***in rock. I was very impressed with them when I saw them.

Last edited:
The Bulletproof Bomb said:
Thanks so much @ibizarocks you were fckn A... Best gig to date. Enjoy #catfishandthebottlemen
WE'RE BACK FROM IBIZA what a bloody holiday m8 massiv love for everyone who came and to @ibizarocks for housing us and being a lovely bunch
Was great to play #ibizarocks with #catfishandthebottlemen, up ridiculously early now to head to Croatia to support the #vaccines hard knock life man

Sonic Vista Studios said:
the view from the stage last night. Catfish and the Bottlemen put on an amazing performance, it was a pleasure to record! See you next week Ibiza Rocks!

11223595_10154209276738018_113115877122378202_n.jpg

The Bulletproof Bomb setlist:
Suitcase
Siege
1-10
My Mates Say
Cresshead
These Other Girls
Pump It Up [Elvis Costello]
Life Is So F**king Boring
Limbo
Vapid