Carl Cox 26 Dec at Frank Bar, Wanganui, NZ

AndyFul

Thought this was so unusual it deserved it’s own thread to see if, though very unlikely, any Spotlighters had heard about / were attending this.

Wanganui is a town of about 40,000 near the south of New Zealand’s North Island. Nothing of note has ever happened there in a long time. I happen to be in town for Christmas as the wife comes from there and we’re visiting her family. Whilst I was discussing over lunch with some of her younger relatives what on earth they can get up to in the evenings when there is essentially no nightlife one of them happened to mention that some English DJ was playing at a local bar on Boxing Day. I thought little of it as there’s a few UK expats kicking around here but asked about it as thought I could drag some people out for a few drinks. She then showed me the flyer and it turns out it’s Carl Cox! After explaining to them how big he is outside of small town New Zealand I’ve convinced them to go.

Can’t wait, turns out Cox’s motor sport team have a presence at the annual Boxing Day races in Wanganui so he’s in town and fancies doing a set. I don’t think I can explain how amazing / bizarre it is to have anyone even close to his renown playing here, this is a very out of the way town built essentially to service the dairy farms that surround it. No-one outside of New Zealand has heard of it, I know some kiwis even who couldn’t place it on a map. A recent front page headline in the local paper was that the nurses who graduated in the most recent course here had all got jobs, this is unprecedented!

It all finishes at 2am, which the locals consider to be shockingly late, I’m still in disbelief.

Will close the circle on this one more for posterity’s sake than anything else with a few thoughts on the night:

Very good set from Carl, I was a bit concerned beforehand that he’d play lighter as he was in a town not known for its appreciation of dance music. Concerns gone straight away as he banged it out from the start on a relatively beefy soundsystem that had been brought in for the party. Gregor Tresher’s Goliath a highlight of the set, Domino the only real nod to more mainstream sounds throughout.

Took a turn towards go nowhere tech-house about half way through for a few tracks but fortunately didn’t last long and finished up with some piano house at the end.

Mixed crowd of kiwis who’d travelled along way for a unique party, carry-ons from the racing that day, curious youngsters who’d no idea what this was about and a good smattering of crusties who probably last saw Carl in a field somewhere round the M25 when they were doing their overseas experience 25 years ago.

Carl played from just after midnight until 0230hrs, considered rather late round here. There was a noticeable drop-off in numbers about 20 minutes in which turned the room from packed to very nicely busy as plenty of Wanganuians were up well past their bedtime.

His team also did very well at the races that day so he could well be back in future.

I am also down under in a few weeks. Impressed really, space on tour in sydney, 3 circoloco events melbourne, perth & sydney (?), PVD playing, and currently nic fancilulli just been announced for a gig.

Will be attending nic fancilulli. £20 a ticket for some house beats seems fair price...

Back