Bunker Sessions #14 - Maggie’s emotive lyrics edition

Robder

Bunker Sessions #14 - 10.04.2013 (Maggie's emotive lyrics edition)

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bunkersessions/bunker-sessions-14-10-04-2013

Mixcrate:
http://www.mixcrate.com/bunkersessions/bs-14-10042013-maggies-emotive-lyrics-edition-314751

Mixcloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/BunkerSessions/bunker-sessions-14-10042013-maggies-emotive-lyrics-edition/

Bunker Sessions has been sickeningly full of optimism of late. We attempted to welcome in Spring with a series of house & disco retrospectives, Balearic moods and last month's MJ tribute...Hell, we even invited Roy Ayers to croon in the sunshine, but still, the weather spirits guided us inward to surrender to deeper rhythms. The view is more expansive down there and creativity comes from dark spaces; plus the Bunker goth contingent loves a bit of misery! Ask Morrissey, Queen of melancholy and one half of songwriting duo, The Smiths - our featured band for April.

“The Smiths became one of the most influential bands of all time by mixing the lush guitar matrices of Johnny Marr with the swooning vocals of Morrissey – a sexually ambiguous poet whose cranky yet delicate singing made most other British frontmen of the Eighties seem utterly normal (and boring).”
Rolling Stone

To spruce things up even more, with divine timing, Thatcher the milk snatcher appears to have left the building. “Ding! Dong! The Witch is Dead!” has secured a number one spot (much to the annoyance of the Beeb) and mass gatherings are taking place across the capital to shout, holler and ‘tramp the dirt down'. Granted, there's a stark absence of intelligent commentary on the streets, but punk spirit does have a slightly medieval ‘real England' quality, bringing a wave of 80s nostalgia with it.

"I think Thatcher was an absolute fairy godmother. Christ, you're an anarchist band trying to complain about the workings of capitalist society and you get someone like Thatcher. What a joy!"
Penny Rimbaud of anarcho-punk radicals, Crass (4:03).

“Acid party! Come to the party! Let's have a party! Come to the rave! Acid party! Let's have a party! Thatcher! Power! Cool! Murder!” (11:04) The early part of the session gives a snapshot of the glorious musical response to Thatcher's era. A warm up bash for the funeral if you will, with its farcical £10 million price tag and contemptuous 2-fingers up to half the population...Oh and the latest ‘unavoidable' cuts to Arts Council England add up to £11.6 million (just by the way).

Austerity Britain innit?

However - everyone deserves a happy transition so Maggie, this one's yours! Lets allow the harridan pay her karmic dues on her own watch. ;)

"As a matter of recorded fact, Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity,"
Morrissey

The children of the bunker are overjoyed to have received no less than SEVEN wonderful industry contributions for session #14. Big thanks to David Weiss - Was (Not Was), Holly Johnson, Michael Gira - Swans, Ost & Kjex, Jon of the Pleased Wimmin, Angela McCluskey and William Bennett - Whitehouse.

Too many seminal moments in music to mention here. Float, dream, lament, laugh, cry and enjoy the journey! xxx

I'll leave you with a few more of my fave Mozza quips from over the years:

On regret: “Life would be so colourful if only I had a drink problem.”

On existence: “When I'm lying in my bed I think about life and I think about death and neither one particularly appeals to me.”

On Oasis: “They are very tame to me. God bless Noel, I'm sure he'll always have a spot on 'Bob's Full House', but I search for something with more bite and rage.”

On awards ceremonies: "The Brits are ghastly. I never would accept a Brit. It would be like Laurence Olivier being happy getting a TV Times award.”

On Richard Madeley: “He referred to me as an 'insufferable puffed-up prat'. This is a bit rich coming from a man who actually married his own mother.”

On seizing the day: “Nothing is important, so people, realising that, should get on with their lives, go mad, take their clothes off, jump in the canal, jump into one of those supermarket trolleys, race around the supermarket and steal Mars bars and kiss kittens.”

On psychoanalysis: “[Sigmund Freud] just made people feel so neurotic about their lives. I mean, if you dreamt about a lampshade, it meant you wanted to be whipped by the local vicar or something.”

On the music industry: “In England, pop music seems now to be exclusively for children. If an artist is no good, why is it necessary to have that artist repeatedly rammed in our face?”

On being unique: “I've never intended to be controversial but it's very easy to be controversial in pop music because nobody ever is.”

On dying: "I have an unswayable obsession with death. If there was a magical pill that one could take that would retire you from the world, I would take it."

On Beyoncé: "The rhino is now more or less extinct, and it's not because of global warming or shrinking habitats. It's because of Beyoncé's handbags"

On the Beckhams: "The ‘Peckhams are insufferable. They should be dragged to the edge of the village and flogged."

On the olympics: "The 'dazzling royals' have, quite naturally, hijacked the Olympics for their own empirical needs, and no oppositional voice is allowed in the free press. The spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout media-brand Britain."

On animal cruelty in China: "You can't help but feel that the Chinese people are a subspecies."

On Coachella festival: "The smell of burning animals is making me sick. I can smell burning flesh...and I hope to God it's human."

On the royal wedding: “Why would I watch the wedding? Why would I watch it? I couldn't take any of that seriously. I don't think the so-called royal family speak for England now and I don't think England needs them. I do seriously believe that they are benefit scroungers and nothing else. I don't believe they serve any purpose whatsoever."

60651_553988417957441_2134732535_n.jpg

1. Morrissey - Margaret on the guillotine [His Master's Voice] 1988 - DAVID B

2. Crass - How does it feel (to be the Mother of a thousand dead)? [Crass Records] 1982 - ROBDER

3. The Larks - Maggie Maggie Maggie [R4 Records] 1986 - ROBDER

4. V.I.M - Maggie's last party [Boz Records] 1990 - ROBDER

5. Poison Girls - Another hero [Crass Records] 1980 - ANDY

6. Christy Moore - Johnny jump up [Polydor] 1976 - KATH

7. Justin Vivian Bond - The golden age of hustlers [Whimsy Music] 2011 - OLIVIER

8. Roberta Flack - Will you still love me tomorrow [Atlantic] 1971 - ALAN

9. Aztec Camera - Jump [WEA] 1984 - SPECIAL GUEST SELECTION BY DAVID WEISS - WAS (NOT WAS)

10. Carol Woods - Wasted life blues [First Night Records] 2000 - ANDY

11. Current 93 - 5 hypnagogue 5 [Durtro, Jnana Records] 2005 - DAVID B

12. The Smiths - The Queen is dead (Take me back to dear old Blighty - medley) [Rough Trade] 1986 - ROBDER

13. A Mountain of One - People without love [10 Worlds] 2007 - ALEJANDRO

14. Gloria Jones - Bring on the love (Why can't we be friends again?) (Vocal) [EMI] 1977 - MARK

15. David Bowie - Sweet thing/Candidate/Sweet thing (reprise) [RCA] 1974 - SPECIAL GUEST SELECTION BY HOLLY JOHNSON

16. John Lennon & Plastic Ono Band - Mother [Apple Records] 1970 - SPECIAL GUEST SELECTION BY MICHAEL GIRA (SWANS)

17. The Cure - 10:15 Saturday night [Polydor] 1979 - JESS

18. Billie Holiday - Strange fruit [Atlantic] 1972 - DAVID C

19. Eurythmics - Take me to your heart (live) [RCA] 2005 - SPECIAL GUEST SELECTION FROM OST & KJEX

20. Brian Eno - How many worlds [Hannibal Records] 2005 - SPECIAL GUEST SELECTION FROM JON OF THE PLEASED WIMMIN

21. Her name is Calla - Ragman roll [Not on label] 2012 - SPECIAL GUEST SELECTION FROM ANGELA MCCLUSKEY

22. The Smiths - That joke isn't funny anymore [Rough Trade] 1985 - ROBDER

23. The Conet Project - The Swedish Rhapsody [Irdial Discs] 1997 - SPECIAL GUEST SELECTION FROM WILLIAM BENNETT (WHITEHOUSE)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back