Bunker Sessions #10 - Robder’s definition of HOUSE

Robder

Bunker Sessions #10 - 28.02.2013 (Robder's definition of HOUSE)

Mixcrate: http://www.mixcrate.com/bunkersessions/bs-10-28022013-robders-definition-of-house-275944

Mixcloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/BunkerSessions/bunker-sessions-10-28022013-robders-definition-of-house/

A basement…a red light…and a feeling.

This is my sound, laden with heads-down Masters at Work dubs and Kerri Chandler wizardry, whilst Prescription genius, Ron Trent, takes it DEEP to bring things to a close.

When the UK acid house juggernaut arrived in ‘88, I was tucked away in a village primary. This didn't stop me noticing the change in tide and soon enough I was organising a school ‘rave' for Children in Need and running ‘Buzz FM', a radio station broadcast from a crap sounding amp during reading class. Interviews with dinner ladies provided a narrative for Bomb the Bass, Coldcut and 808 State, much to the bemusement of my teachers! I guess you could say the writing was on the wall…

So where to begin when compiling a tracklist? This was an impossible task leading to many sleepless nights and neglected friendships but the process was worthwhile (and emotional in places). It's my hope that somebody, somewhere will hear these for the first time and find themselves moved in similar ways.

Put it this way, if you're not feeling me by track three we probably won't get along. ;-))

I'm reminded of a gig during which, Jean-Paul “Bluey” Maunick (Incognito front man and personal hero of mine) delivered a poignant speech against a backdrop of live musicians including a string quartet, brass section, two rhythm guitarists, a bass player, drummer, keyboardist and five vocalists. Referring to the complex bass riff on ‘Colibri' (search and listen!) he pointed out that the original recording was taken from a digital sequencer; his point being that synthesised and programmed music can still pack a punch of soul power - AMEN brother!

Special mentions:

Kerri Chandler's ‘Inspiration' (12:18) - a moment in time. Not least because of an achingly beautiful vocal performance by Arnold Jarvis - but also the general sentiment behind the lyrics. Whereas most love song cliches focus on the traditional relationship formula as a path to wholeness, ‘Inspiration' touches the void of perfection with its simple affirmation to life:

“You're an inspiration to me. Celebrate life! Life has just begun for me.”
“Live for today, but be concerned about tomorrow. Just look around be positive. There's no need for needless suffering. Be conscious of life.”
In short, no one takes over my dancing loins like Kerri. ♥

Romanthony's ‘Ministry of Love' (48:10) - Rampling once dropped this bomb at MoS, promptly sending me off into orbit (not sure I ever came back tbh). Say what you like about the ‘Ministry of £££', but on a good draw (granted, rarer than hen's teeth these days) it's the closest we ever got to that New York, big room, Sound Factory/Garage template - with a sound system to die for.

“The knowledge of love makes you realise you know nothing. You see there's no control, no need to be a part of something. A part of history so diverse and complex, turning failure into glory from one generation to the next. A ministry of love.”
Ridiculously H.O.U.S.E. ;)

My trump card for this session is Watanabe's ‘Odoru' (2:08:39). This is a rare gem I discovered on a bootleg mix back in ‘93 and eventually, after months of hassling people on geek message boards, succeeded in bagging myself a vinyl copy.

The latter part of the mix includes some really obvious floor fillers like Inner City (1:41:43) and the very old skool sounding Azari & III (1:36:47). Whitney's ‘Love will save the day' (1:50:03) and Shaun Escoffery's ‘Days like this' (1:56:32) are also inseparable through their association with the mighty Body&SOUL.

Need2Soul are part responsible for bringing these seminal US gatherings to London town; currently the primary reason why I live in this sprawling unholy mess of a city. These parties are so much more than just dance floors; full of sussed music heads and industry bods like Danny Krivit on his night off…That moment when you find yourself dancing with Robert Owens (whilst Robert Owens is on the turntables) and exchanging sheepish smiles of recognition across the floor. Surreal to say the very least. :))

I finish up with Tom Moulton's rework of the Jones Girls - Nights over Egypt; a really important song to me and further tribute to the mastery of Ron Trent (who ended his set with this at Shoreditch Studios *sigh*).

Anyway, enough chattering and on with the listening…

Love is the message and music is the answer.
Robder. x

480413_537122292977387_25022858_n.jpg

Back