Buckley's 4 Day Visit - August 19-23, 2004

Buckley

Disclaimer: The author is fully aware that there is much more to Ibiza than clubs and partying. His earlier visit this year involved much sightseeing, eating good food in nice restaurants and a visit to the tranquil heaven that is Formentera. That is all.

Thursday – The party starts before we leave English soil when we run into some DJs getting the same flight. The DJs in question, Gavin Mytchell from Turnmills and Scott Giles from Pukka Up are as keen on a beer as us and with a delay to take off, we’re suitably refreshed by the time we board the plane. On board, we find we’re sitting next to Wandy from Chibuku, So… after introductions are made it quite obvious that more beers are in order.

We make up a bit of time and the flight isn’t that much later than originally planned. A friend picks us up and after dumping our bags at her absolutely stunning 6 bedroom villa overlooking Calo Gracio 8) , we head down to Bar M for about 2am. By 3am we’re outside Underground being told that it’s invite only tonight. Remarkably, one of our number heads into some bushes and finds another route in – it’s like some sort of secret passage and leads to an unguarded entrance straight into the venue. It was like Jamie and the Magic torch! :D Ivan Smagghe was great and it was very nice to meet So… many local and Portugese people. When closing time arrives we acquire some free tickets for Space and head to Playa D’en Bossa. Get to PDB about 7 and have to wait a while for Space to open – make lots of new friends in the café/bar over the road. Space is busy although the terrace isn’t open until 11am. Inside though ‘What’s Up?’ have a great atmosphere going which is unfortunately diluted somewhat when the terrace opens for Good Fridays. We spend an hour on the terrace and then head over to Bora Bora after buying some terrible swimming shorts from the supermarket. When the DJs come on I’m the only one of our number still awake – thinking about it that means that I’ve been awake since Thursday morning – 36 hours :eek: by the time we collect our stuff from the villa and I leave the bags with my two accomplices at Savvanah as I head off to sort a hotel out. When I manage to secure us a nice air-conditioned apartment down in San An Bay for the following three nights for 330 euros my weary pals are very relieved. When a cab gets us to the Marvell Apartments for 8.30pm I decide I should keep going right through and sleep in the sun the following day. :eek:

After a few beers up at the strip we’re heading back to Bar M when we get given free entry flyers for Es Paradis. The intention is just show the chaps the interior but they get chatting to a couple of Greek girls and want to stay for a bit. For the record Es Paradis is as busy as I’ve ever seen it, the sunken dancefloor being rammed for once, but still crap. I head back to Bar M having told my companions send me a text if they’re not coming home. Wandy appears at the bar next to me So… I join him and Dom Chung (also a Chibuku resident) for beers upstairs. Dom been mailing me on the hunt for bookings for a while and it becomes apparent that, not for the first time, I’d been mistaken for the other Buckley, a Leeds based DJ who used to play The Hacienda in Manchester.

An hour or two later I head back to Es Paradis to check on progress. Dunno what they’ve been ‘talking about’ ‘cos they don’t seem to have overcome the language barrier yet. :lol: One beer later,s gulped fairly quickly while wondering how much more standing in silence before they ‘seal the deal’ as it were, and I’m off back to the apartment.

I get back to the apartment about 6.30am and finally get to bed a full 48 hrs after I last slept. The boys arrive back at 11.30am and I’m up and ready for some of that stuff….hang on I can almost remember it…food – that’s the stuff. Post grub, we head out for some sun but it’s actually a bit cloudy – good job I’d caught some rays at Bora Bora, eh?

Head down to Bar M about 7 and meet some friends. After we’ve wandered around a few other bars return there to meet Matt Collins. Matt’s playing the Hed Kandi per-party and is, as ever, refreshingly down to earth 8) . We leave for Hed Kandi’s El Divino party around 1am and Matt is on the decks. Quality stuff from Matt, Mark Doyle and Paul Wilkins all night!

Meet Jason and Nick from Es Vive and the “So…Ibiza Pool Party” (Tuesday 14 September folks - hope you're all gonna come) is born. Cheers to Matt for the introduction – beers owed!

Instead of heading home like my sensible pals at 5ish, I leave at closing and head off with some friends to another nice villa for some severely funny post club antics. Sharades will never seem quite the same. :lol: When all the inhabitants of said villa are passed out, I figure it’s time to make tracks. After an hour, only two cabs passing have had their green lights on and as they don’t seem overly keen on stopping. I decide that walking aimlessly in any direction might help. By now it’s ten o’clock and I’m starting to think I could be on that road for the term of my natural life! However, KM5 is only a few hundred metres from where I’ve spent the last hour waving at passing cars like a demented chimp and the nice man on the door kindly calls me a cab. Naturally, I head straight to Coastline, meet my travelling companions before heading to Plastik until it closes. We stop for a drink at most places open between there and San An Bay and I go straight to sleep when we get back to the apartment about 8am.

Monday – sacked off plans for DC10, meaning that I’d missed both that and WLS, but what the hell, the next trip is but a fortnight away! Sunbathed from 11am until 7pm before meeting friends for dinner at getting dropped back to the airport for 10pm.

I’ve also learnt that I miss the current Mrs. B too much to go away for long without her. Oh, yeah, I learnt something else too: there is no scientific explanation for bees being able to fly. According the established laws of science, taking into account their bodyweight and the size of their wings etc it’s impossible for them to get off the ground. “How does it work Bob?” “I dunno, Vic, but it does!” :lol:

Slept all the way home and the plane - I’d heard ‘My My My’ So… many times that I was actually putting a joke together while I dreamt. Got as far as the DJ who produced said track using a blow torch to attach a door back to a Transit and the punchline was ‘Armin Van Welding.’ Definitely time for a detox! :oops:

Last edited:
Should of added: They are a lot less drug dealers on the streets of San An and the place seems cleaner in general.

The worst behaviour I experienced was that of a large group of Italian blokes at the cab rank, who were clearly spoiling for a fight, one of whom spat in the face of a cab driver. :eek: Note that I'm not suggesting their nationality has any relevance other then proving we are not alone in producing idiots who embarass us when visiting others' homes.

Re: Buckley's 4 Day Visit - August 19-23

Buckley said:
By 3am we’re outside Underground being told that it’s invite only tonight. Remarkably, one of our number heads into some bushes and finds another route in – it’s like some sort of secret passage and leads to an unguarded entrance straight into the venue. It was like Jamie and the Magic torch! :D Ivan Smagghe was great and it was very nice to meet So… many local and Portugese people.
jamie.gif
:arrow:
IMG_2150.thumb.jpg

Buckley said:
Meet Jason and Nick from Es Vive and the “So…Ibiza Pool Party” (Tuesday 14 September folks - hope you're all gonna come) is born. Cheers to Matt for the introduction – beers owed!

Better save myself a sunbed 8) Sounds like a great couple of days, Buckley.

Buckley said:

Ooo bad timing! Do you think theres any chance it will still be going strong at miday the next day? :lol: :lol:

McRackin said:
Buckley said:
By 3am we’re outside Underground being told that it’s invite only tonight. Remarkably, one of our number heads into some bushes and finds another route in – it’s like some sort of secret passage and leads to an unguarded entrance straight into the venue. It was like Jamie and the Magic torch! :D Ivan Smagghe was great and it was very nice to meet So… many local and Portugese people.
jamie.gif
:arrow:
IMG_2150.thumb.jpg

I'm So... going to make it along to this next week! ;)

Scoobie said:
Buckley said:

Ooo bad timing! Do you think theres any chance it will still be going strong at miday the next day? :lol: :lol:

Dunno Scoobs - possibly if my latest visit is anything to go by :lol:

Buckley said:
Should of added: They are a lot less drug dealers on the streets of San An and the place seems cleaner in general.

I thought this too, it did seem to have changed for the better :p

Buckley said:
I’ve also learnt that I miss the current Mrs. B too much to go away for long without her.

:D :D ...bless !

I thought the 'current' was in Japan.... :confused:

MidlifeRaver said:
Buckley said:
I’ve also learnt that I miss the current Mrs. B too much to go away for long without her.

:D :D ...bless !

I thought the 'current' was in Japan.... :confused:

Nope, in the usual way of the biggest agency in Britain, once we'd re-arranged our whole summer and not gone to Ibiza for 3 months as planned, Select f*v*** the whole thing up just before the contracts were due to be signed. :evil:

nice review Buckley.

c u on the 14th at Es Vive for the “So…Ibiza Pool Party". give us more details about it when u can, thanks :)

fusion said:
nice review Buckley.

c u on the 14th at Es Vive for the “So…Ibiza Pool Party". give us more details about it when u can, thanks :)
Yep, would love to tag along too! Ill even drag out my best bikini ;) :lol:
Great review buckley :D

Back