Buckley: Barcelona Review?

MARKB

What was your recent trip there like mate?

From your FB pics it looked like you had a ball!

Noticed you went to Sitges too? Loved that place.

I'm off there in three weeks for a night out (24hrs) and wondered what it was like this time of year , weather, etc.?

Cheers 8)

What was your recent trip there like mate?
From your FB pics it looked like you had a ball!

Noticed you went to Sitges too? Loved that place.

I'm off there in three weeks for a night out (24hrs) and wondered what it was like this time of year , weather, etc.?

Cheers 8)

Yeah, was amazing!

Weather was good. I wore just a light cardigan and t-shirt on the open-top tourist bus on Saturday. It did turn a little chillier in the evening. 16 degrees on Monday, sunshine was strong. Sitges was particularly good - the festival that was on there was wicked, even though we only got to see the kids' parade etc. Wished we'd planned to get back for the Sunday night there - I suspect it would have been crazy.

Ate here:

http://www.elpla.cat/pla/barcelona-restaurant/index.html

Good food and service, not too stuffy and good value. Thanks to those that recommended it.

Stayed here:

http://www.thefiverooms.com/

Very central, nice rooms, boutique styling throughout. As long as you're happy with cold meats, cheese and bread (I was, it was a little limited for the veggie missus), the breakfast was fine. The best thing is it's in a proper old apartment building. Like the one in 'Rec', the film, if you've seen it.

Barca game was something else. Messi was immense. Only complaint is that they only serve non-booze lager :)lol:). The Nou Camp is great, though I can't help feeling that we missed a touch of atmosphere because they aren't going to catch Real Madrid.

Another general point, given mention of Barcelona is so oft the inspiration for a discussion on pickpockets, is we that were unaffected. Each time we looked a bit lost while I struggled to get the map the right way up, we were accosted by folks, not as a distraction technique, but genuinely keen to help us out. Similarly, at the ticket machine in the metro station.

I did see some shady looking characters around La Ramblas on Monday afternoon, but so obvious you'd do well not to spot them.

Yeah, was amazing!

Weather was good. I wore just a light cardigan and t-shirt on the open-top tourist bus on Saturday. It did turn a little chillier in the evening. 16 degrees on Monday, sunshine was strong. Sitges was particularly good - the festival that was on there was wicked, even though we only got to see the kids' parade etc. Wished we'd planned to get back for the Sunday night there - I suspect it would have been crazy.

Ate here:

http://www.elpla.cat/pla/barcelona-restaurant/index.html

Good food and service, not too stuffy and good value. Thanks to those that recommended it.

Stayed here:

http://www.thefiverooms.com/

Very central, nice rooms, boutique styling throughout. As long as you're happy with cold meats, cheese and bread (I was, it was a little limited for the veggie missus), the breakfast was fine. The best thing is it's in a proper old apartment building. Like the one in 'Rec', the film, if you've seen it.

Barca game was something else. Messi was immense. Only complaint is that they only serve non-booze lager :)lol:). The Nou Camp is great, though I can't help feeling that we missed a touch of atmosphere because they aren't going to catch Real Madrid.

Another general point, given mention of Barcelona is so oft the inspiration for a discussion on pickpockets, is we that were unaffected. Each time we looked a bit lost while I struggled to get the map the right way up, we were accosted by folks, not as a distraction technique, but genuinely keen to help us out. Similarly, at the ticket machine in the metro station.

I did see some shady looking characters around La Ramblas on Monday afternoon, but so obvious you'd do well not to spot them.

Cheers mate,

Sounds like you had a great time , The Five Rooms looks lovely (i see what you mean by Rec :lol:).

The day I went to Sitges had a completely different type of parade altogether. I remember my mate saying "Why have you brought me to the gayest town in the world on the gayest day of the year? You got something to tell me?" :lol:

Keep missing the chance to go to the Nou Camp, and as i'm only going for one night I won't get this time either!

I also noticed a big difference in the pickpocket / rogue element last summer compared to previous trips (apart from one incident 5am on the beach:evil:) looks like there has been some major clamping down!

I've booked a room at the W Hotel on the seafront and I'm currently trying to get a table at the Speakeasy restaurant at the back of the Dry Martini bar, Can't wait!!

Yeah pictures looked amazing man.

I think its good you pointed out the lack of pickpockets etc. EVERYONE you speak to prior to Barca trips chimes in with their 2 cents on the pickpocketing problem in Barca (some who have never even been yet know someone who knows someone who got mugged etc. yawwwwwwwwn) yet I've never had any bother in Barca in two visits and never seen any bother. Thats obviously not to say it doesn't happen, but I think a lot of it is like a big game of chinese whispers.

I doubt its any worse than any other huge tourist mecca. Just need to have your wits about you and be sensible with valuables (ie. don't take them on holiday!).

Now that La Liga is practically over, I'm holding out for Barca to win the Copa del Rey so that theres another Supercopa in August. Tickets last summer were going at face value for both legs and they were cracking games. Was thinking it'd be good to watch one leg in a local bar, then go to the other leg at the Camp Nou. Or you could go all out and go to one leg in Madrid, one in Barca (that ain't happening, not if I wanna do Ibiza in September as well!).

I spent my 1st day or so there para about pickpockets, but soon relaxed.

The biggest menace is the prozzies on La Ramblas at night.

The day I went to Sitges had a completely different type of parade altogether. I remember my mate saying "Why have you brought me to the gayest town in the world on the gayest day of the year? You got something to tell me?" :lol:

:lol:

I suspect the evening would have been more leaning that way if we'd have got back for it.

The W looks good!8)

Well, the missus had money stolen out of her purse the first time we visited Barca so I say watch your wallet :lol:

Other points:

The train from to Sitges is a mere 3.60 euros each way and takes 30 mins - it's well worth the short trip.

The metro from the very centre of town to the Nou Camp is 2 euro, but we found a cab back worth the 10 euro if you want to beat the crowds.

We stopped at various places competely randomly for tapas. I'd expect to hit at least a couple of rubbish places if I stopped for food randomly in Central London, but we liked everything we ate in Barcelona. (Maybe we're just a pair of greedy fat b*******!:lol:)

I've been to Barca many times - going again next month - and have never had any trouble with pick-pockets. Seen it occasionally on La Ramblas with tourists being careless but if you keep your wits about you and your valuables in inside pockets, you'll be OK. My favourite tapas places are in La Boqueria market but it can get a bit boisterous trying to get served. Txapela on Passeig De Gracia is cheap and always good. For evening meal at a reasonable price Cent Focs http://www.centfocs.com/ is great.

Glad you had a good time. I compare Barcelona to San Francisco in the USA, love the city the football club not so much;) Go Real Madrid!

Wowsers! 2012! Back there next weekend!
Any update recommendations?

A few years old now, but courtesy of @Tourist before he regenerated

Ok, have written some stuff before on here if you search the sonar threads so apols for repeats. copied some of this off some other notes I wrote. it should read ok

Starting with the obvious touristy bits:

Anything Gaudi (you need to book in advance for Park Guell as people often get turned away) Sagrada Familia also gets overrun with tourists, there are also 2 Gaudi buildings on Passeig de Gracia which are less famous but still worth a look (casa batllo and la pedrera)

Cathedral – complete with wandering geese inside and there are some very good buskers in the back streets just behind

Barrio Gotico (go for a drink at Bar Pi in Placa de Pi) - area's not what it was though tbh (although it has continually reeked of bad smells and worse since about 12AD)

Tapas at Xampanyet – turn up very early, queue outside if necessary - food is superb

Bar Marsella – for the absinthe

Bar Kentucky - no reason, just another bar I like

Nou Camp – can be fun - worth seeing who’s playing that weekend. If a no-hoper is in town, you can get pretty cheap seats. Actually looks like Barca are at Espanyol on other side of town on April 30. always has nasty potential, though nothing compared to UK derbys

Tibidabo hill (with church on it) – get tram half way up and change to funicular. Dead romantic. Views of whole city. Tucked away restaurant on hillside called Marissa (ignore the trip adviser negativity – staff/food actually ok). If you have energy/time, you can walk down from Tibidabo though the woods. You often see roaming wild boar on the higher ground.

Ciutadella park is a very rare green space in the city – you always get buskers/artists there. The zoo is mediocre these days, but I like that area a lot.

Clubs - Razzmatazz is BCN equivalent of Fabric/Ministry – biggest club in town. I personally prefer Sala Apolo for the NITSA nights. Something on there every Friday and Saturday. RA and Facebook pretty much have that side of things covered. I don't really do big clubs anymore. Depending on your dates there may be some daytime fun up at Montjuic (where the 1992 olympic stadium is) run by Picknik or Brunch (probably the most ibiza-y event in BCN). there may be other city festies going on that weekend. I’m trying out a new (to me) night called Origins this Friday at a different venue with a sweatier low ceiling vibe C Aragon 364 will report back on that. MOOG is usually reliable for techno. Macarena for house (though tiny)

If you like rooftop bars there’s a few of those - mostly opening soon for summer. They tend to be above hotels - except the roof of the old bullring at Plaça Espanya which got turned into a shopping mall when bullfights got banned – the bars/eats at the top aren’t anything special but 360 view is good (literally outside Espanya metro) – about 5-10min from centre on metro. as for the hotels, Hotel Majestic is probably the best known rooftop. Hotel Pulitzer is slightly cooler – some good music there

Born is one of the more interesting parts of town. I like a drink at Juanita La La near the harbour, although there are loads of bars/eats around Placa de Born. If you want to dine posh, then the food at Set Portes is excellent (although vibe isn’t all that). Gracia has it moments too. I like placa del sol for a beer but it can get crustie-central though...

Record shops – Discos Paradiso is really good for vinyl+friendly staff – worth checking out also for flyers, CDs, retro goods and other stuff. It’s round the corner from a really old bar called Beirut.

Modern arts – always worth checking listings for the CCCB Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona
– a bit like the barbican/south bank (some English stuff) – good indoor market just on the other side. mostly skateboard paradise

Port Olimpic/marina – I used to love it but really trashy now – best avoided. beach is good fun though tucked away just behind Barceloneta and stretches for miles divided up by different sections. may even be warm enough then. in barceloneta itself, some of the old survives. I really like a chilled drink at Absenta Bar. avoid the eats along the waterfront facing the city though. tourist trap central and really shit paellas.

Maremagnum – again very tacky but the wooden drawbridge across is nice enough in daytime

The Ramblas is a bit of a mess these days although generally harmless if you’re clued up. maybe I’m snotty but I just can’t stand the endless tat and touts, aggressive hookers, pissed up stags and dodgy illegals selling beer and hash (stored in sewers). Police are pretty laidback when it comes to smoking weed in street, just be discreet, esp if there are kids around. Loads of fake irish pubs and dodgy kebab shops, but inside placa real itself some nice bars have survived, esp Glaciar in the corner. Sidecar opposite has some good live music downstairs.

oh yeah, and the train from salou passes through sitges I think which is beautiful, again depending on time.

^

2020 updates to that list:

> the tibidabo tram and funicular no longer run. not sure if funfair open this time of year. still worth it for the amazing views though
> port olimpic is a no-no at night, ok in daytime though
> bar pi has shut down, literally this week. am very sad about that. another historic bar lost.

crime - yes it's bad. someone tried to mug us last year on the metro (the police are useless). not sure it's so much worse than London, but more intense because the city is 8 times smaller. Avoid Raval backstreets at night unless you're in a group and know where you're heading. one other change is the sheer number of geezers (often with London accents) on the Ramblas trying to entice you into dodgy cannabis clubs. avoid these like the plague.

On the plus side, I would add that Montjuic is great for kids - there's a castle, gardens, fountains, the miro museum, olympic stadium + the pueblo español old recreated city (sonar ravers may be familiar with it in a different context!) - much closer to the centre than Tibidabo and easier to get to

Maremagnum is family-friendly too - aquarium + crazy golf + loads of cheap eats

evening drinks - my own preferred areas are Gracia or Born (but only bother if you're based near either, as might feel like a schlep otherwise)

I love Barcelona! I think the crime thing is a bit over-hyped, just stay sensible like most major cities.

If you like Craft Beer, definitely seek out Garage Beer Co & Mikkeller bars (close to each other)

Agreed re Montjuic . Even without kids we spent most of a day there, was cool. Good views too

Recommend Sensi Tapas as a restaurant. It is modern cuisine Tapas but thought it was a decent meal, good wine list and was good value for money.

Back