Berlin Vs Ibiza

Robder

Berlin Vs Ibiza?

Hmmm...I'm struggling with this one today.

No one loves that special island more than I - but the authorities on the island clearly don't like us, alfresco clubbing is nigh on impossible (errr in the sunshine) and after hours is dead.

I still pine for it like mad though - if not for the clubs then just the chance to sit on my favourite beaches and while away the time with a jug of sangria - or better, sat outside at Sa Capella munching on a tuna steak. :D

BUT I've just returned from a weekend in Berlin and my head is whirring. It's frustratingly impossible to go to Panorama bar without seeing loads of people you know these days.

"Hello! Wtf are you doing here?"

"I live here now."

:x

It seems half the people that made Shoreditch great a few years ago have all fecked off...Grrr.

It must've been amazing around 89 when the wall came down in the Love Parade era but it now seems to have the eyes of the world on it (see below):

http://www.djmag.com/index.php?op=top100club

(though it escapes me why all these alpha male tourist types [usually the ones turned away in their masses at the door] are so desperate to clamour into a club that's wall to wall sleaze, muscle and rubber :eek: :lol: ...errr because it's f'ing amazing. 8))

Loco Dice at Panorama Bar was brilliant! (I love it when they open the blinds and the light comes streaming in! 8))...and does this place ever close?!? (STILL going strong at 18h00 on Sunday every weekend. :eek:)

...and DJ Hell at Weekend played the set of the ummm weekend and what a venue!? :eek:

Something exciting is definitely happening over there. It reminds me of San Francisco in a way - laid back, effortlessly cool without any of the pretentious bollocks.

The direct comparison with London is also quite a difficult one to cope with. As soon as you step off the plane here you can feel the agro, aggression and competition of egos (and I say that with my rose coloured specs removed).

Berlin is a kind of live and let live type of place...blokes holding hands walking around the centre of Alexander Platz!?! If I were to do that in London's Leicester Square I'd be embedded in the pavement within ten minutes. :rolleyes:

I'm slightly cross.

Might have to move.

But on another note - Ibiza Vs Berlin in August?

* 40 Euros entry Vs 12 Euros entry.

* Cheaper beer.

* Better music. (Matinee at Amnesia - give me a break.)

* No beach in Berlin. :cry: (a waterfront and Lido hardly compensates does it?)

* Endless after hours.

Hmmm...what to do?

Berlin does sound very ace - best house music in the world, standard of living, relaxed, architecture, affordability...

still haven't seen DJ Hell play :oops:

really must try and go next year

I really, really want to go and work abroad for a year. Does anybody know, how fluent would you have to be in the native language? I'm talking most modern European countries.

I.e if Rob went to Berlin how fluent would he have to be auf Deutsch!

Can't disagree with all the positive comments on Berlin. I'm a big fan of Germany anyway after travelling to 6 cities during the last world cup. Weather fantastic, people very welcoming and not one exception to that in all those different places, ridiculously easy and cheap to get about. Didn't do Berlin though until earlier this year on a rave mission to Tresor. Now that is how you do a club and definitely a place for a number of repeat visits!

I really, really want to go and work abroad for a year. Does anybody know, how fluent would you have to be in the native language? I'm talking most modern European countries.

I.e if Rob went to Berlin how fluent would he have to be auf Deutsch!

hmmm my sis and her husband are relocating there in the next few years (she feels about Berlin how we feel about Ibiza as our spiritual home) I asked whether she was going to learn the language before she went, and she replied in true ignorant Brit tourist stylee... "why? they all talk English out there" :rolleyes::rolleyes: :oops: :eek: :lol::lol:

It depends what he wanted to do...English teacher = not at all...podium dancer in a fetish club = not very...translator for Angela Merkel = completely.

interesting... i'm planning to spend a year in barcelona next year after a few months travelling in south america. teaching english was one way i've considered making money but thought my spanish wouldn't be good enough - is this not the case? (I'm currently 1/2 way through an intermediate level year at the open university)

Berlin - better clubs, music, afters, no beach
Ibiza - beaches, sunshine, countryside and a still a great vibe

depends on your holiday - if you want to go out every night go to berlin. If you only want a couple of big nights and plenty of chilling in beach bars and restaurants go to ibiza. my ratio of clubbing versus chilling has drastically changed over the last couple of years - now I think I'd rather have a slightly inferior night out then spend 4 days relaxing and recovering in the sunshine and on the beach. 8)

interesting... i'm planning to spend a year in barcelona next year after a few months travelling in south america. teaching english was one way i've considered making money but thought my spanish wouldn't be good enough - is this not the case? (I'm currently 1/2 way through an intermediate level year at the open university)

It can be an advantage with some schools if you speak good Spanish (especially for teaching kids) and it'll definitely help you to be able to explain/translate something in Spanish if the students really can't get it in English, but the generally accepted way of teaching is to do absolutely everything in English (even for beginners). That's how I've been learning Spanish since I got there (the teachers only speak Spanish) and it's a lot better than the classes I used to go to in London where the teacher explained everything in English.

What will really help you to get work is having a CELTA. It's a four week intensive course and the basic qualification that most places are looking for. It's possible to get work just by virtue of being a native speaker, but not at the better quality schools.

It can be an advantage with some schools if you speak good Spanish (especially for teaching kids) and it'll definitely help you to be able to explain/translate something in Spanish if the students really can't get it in English, but the generally accepted way of teaching is to do absolutely everything in English (even for beginners). That's how I've been learning Spanish since I got there (the teachers only speak Spanish) and it's a lot better than the classes I used to go to in London where the teacher explained everything in English.

What will really help you to get work is having a CELTA. It's a four week intensive course and the basic qualification that most places are looking for. It's possible to get work just by virtue of being a native speaker, but not at the better quality schools.

this is really useful to know, thanks so much! i would probably have signed up to a TEFL which clearly wouldn't have got me anywhere. the OU degree classes have been really good, but i can't wait to actually get over there and start learning properly while surrounded by the language... :D

this is really useful to know, thanks so much! i would probably have signed up to a TEFL which clearly wouldn't have got me anywhere. the OU degree classes have been really good, but i can't wait to actually get over there and start learning properly while surrounded by the language... :D

PM me if you've got any more questions. :p

Back