Belfast to Ibiza: 14th Sept to 18th Sept

Myron Gaines

I'd been thinking about this trip ever since I booked it in June, it took so long to come round I thought I was going to snap, especially the final 2 weeks. Alas, the weekend had final arrived and I was like a kid on christmas eve trying to sleep before heading to the airport the next day.

Day 1: Sunday
The 6 of us arrive at the airport at 1pm and get stuck into our last meal of the day at Burger King then make a swift move to the hotel bar - 4 bottles of heineken for a tenner.
So we finally board the plane and everyone gets the customary "this isnt a nightclub" warning from the crew and we're off! 3 horrible hours later and we touch down into the heat. I never tire of the taxi from the airport, dance music on the radio, passing billboards of the weeks events etc.

Hotel - Mare Nostrum at Playa D'en Bossa. Decent hotel, pretty big and the rooms are clean.
After 5 or 10 minutes we get checked in and head into our assigned room - which was hotter than the devil's rectum btw. Our air con was weaker than a fart. No worries we're too excited to care anyway. We meet with the others and make our way to the Spar to stock up on supplies: Tequila, Jagermeister, San Miguel and Ice. Our room had no fridge so we filled up the sink with ice every night, it did the job rightly.
After a few hours of boozing and listening to music with everyone we decide to head out to the strip to find a bar and obtain some "supplies". The first bar we got pulled into was a good spot and ended up getting some seriously good coke. By this stage (1am) the group had halved to 3 people and there were 3 left. I should mention that the 3 that left had no idea about the coke and wouldn't have been too pleased to hear it lol.
My mate was completely legless by this stage and I'd to help carry him down the street, but not before he'd faceplanted the pavement a few times and stumbled into a bar and crashed through their tables and chairs haha. So we got him away and agreed to buy him a hat to calm him down, and a tangerine he bought that he just tucked into without even peeling it first!

We were about to head back to the hotel but kept talking to people walking the other direction heading to Sankeys (viva warriors), we were easily influenced so we decided to go their too until a girl came out of a bar and offered us a 15e ticket to Privilege. "Why not?" we said and took them. I led my mate across the street to get him and tin of red bull when he tripped on a kerb and went into one of those spiky plants in the middle of the road haha. Job done and we were out towards Privilege in the taxi, in our current state we'd a hard time finding the door into it! Found our way in but there must have been only 20 people there - nonetheless the music was thumping (Flegma), one of the best sets I'd ever heard, that lad knows how to drop a beat or two. Raved our way through his whole set until my feet were bleeding then headed back to PDB for a pint then back to bed.

On our way back past the prozzies offering "20 euro sucky sucky" my mate (that had sobered up a bit by now) nearly got his wallet stolen. Luckily he noticed and started yelling at the lad, the f***er was away like the clappers hahaha

It was hard to call it a night after being so wired but 7am on our first night wasn't too bad!
More to come!

Day 2: Monday
When I woke I knew I was in for a hangover from hell but once I got on my feet I didn't feel too bad at all. We all met up in the room we drank in lastnight and it was a state - drink had been spilled over every piece of floor by a couple that came with us. To be honest Ibiza wasn't really their scene judging by their self confessed hatred of excessive drinking, sunshine and house music. And don't get me started on their opinion of drugs. Why they came I have no idea, but I suspect it was to provide moaning and complaining all week, which was plentiful. Anyway the first thing that this chap did was come into our room and take 2 craps and throw up, then moan at breakfast about how tired they were... how?! they went to bed at 1am! haha.

So we put our english fry's down us and headed straight for the beach. Threw our towels on the sand and dived straight into the sea - hangover cured. After a couple of hours at the beach we headed back to our rooms to get washed then met again in the lobby to head out for dinner. We walked towards the strip and stopped in to get our tickets for tonight "Duke Dumont at Sankeys", then stopped into a restaurant called 'Triton'. We were all starving at this stage and by f*** they took their time with our dinner. About 45 mins.
We then picked up some cigs and more booze and headed back to the room. The girls applied some neon paint, got a few shots of tequila into us. We'd been drinking and listening to music for a few hours before there was a knock at the door from security telling us we weren't allowed so many people in the room. So we just headed out back to the strip..

I think it was clear to a few which bar we were going back to, unbeknownst to the others. We sat down and got our drinks and I got sorted with more supplies although this time it was clear on my face that I was wired to the moon . that upset a few people but I was too high to care haha. "I don't see why you need drugs you must be so borrrring" said one.
After a while we headed into Sankeys and seen the tail end of Jonas Rathsman, who was excellent. Then duke dumont came on and from what I can remember, was pretty banging. I was raving that hard I was told that I'd cleared a circle around me lol. By the end of his set there was 2 of us left out and decided to head back to the hotel. I decided that I needed food and went to a fish van called "fish and fish". Jesus this place is amazing, they give you a fish supper in a cone. I remember I couldn't stop raving about it all the way home haha.

Day 3: Tuesday
The days become harder to tell apart at this point, by tuesday the holiday had seemed like one long session. Tuesday began similar to Monday, I awoke a bit worse for wear but realised I've had worse hangovers, so far I'd been surprised at how I was getting away with it. I dandered round to the the others' room and the 4 of us headed back down the usual cafe for breakfast (great coffee). I learnt that the other two had headed on down to the beach earlier that morning so I started ranting over breakfast at how I was beyond pissed at their presence by now haha.
The next thing I see them appear in the distance walking towards us, they sit down, and without ordering anything - proceed to sit and watch us eat breakfast. Complete with commentary on each mouthful: "I don't like runny egg" and "You look like you're struggling there". It took some willpower not to jam a fork into the chap's eye I tell ye. We swiftly paid for breakfast and headed to the beach. Same protocol as before - dive in - back to 100%. It was about 4pm before it started raining, I'd been expecting rain at some point in the week but I didn't mind that much. We cleared up and headed back to the hotel.

No one wanted to go through the previous night's 1 hour wait for dinner so we just went to Burger King. Got our Amnesia Together tickets, more cigs and managed to get a poster from last night's Duke Dumont show. We stocked up again on booze and headed back to the room. A few of them wanted to sleep so we agreed to meet again in the usual room 2 hours later. I headed up anyway to get stuck in and 3 of us ended up watching German eurosport. Youth league, real madrid v Basel I think.

From what I can assume we drank for a few hours in the room with everyone, finished off a bag of coke in the bathroom and headed out to get more :). We ran into 3 sound lads from Scotland in the hotel lobby that were thinking of going to Space for Carl Cox but decided to come along with us to Amnesia instead.

I was leading everyone back to the usual bar when they were stopped outside another and persuaded to come in. Me, not trying to make it look too obvious insisting we go back to the usual place tried to put up a feeble argument - but id been rumbled, damn!! So I sheepishly followed everyone into this place that was empty. I'd had 3 sips out of a pint and decided that me and my mate would go outside for a "smoke", nip up and be back with gear before anyone noticed :lol:
We must have been gone about an hour haha, of course after 10 mins or so everyone new what we were away for. We all hailed taxis and headed out towards Amnesia for Chase n Status. My mate got a guilt trip speech from youknowwho in the taxi over about how she was ashamed of his drugtaking ways :lol:.

I can remember vaguely arriving and walking into Amnesia, we were in the terrace and W&W were on, tearing the place up. Thon eejit Steve Aoki appeared on stage with them too haha. Amnesia was so busy I'd hate to see what it's like in July or August. I went outside for a smoke and didn't see any of Chase n Status. Some of us decided to go back to PDB at about 3am, which we did and discovered it was closing up. Found one place, 'Disco Point' and drank on for a few hours. I kept playing Prayer in C and Watermat's Bullit from my phone - I'm not looking forward to my roaming bill :eek:
Cut a long story short I made a beeline for Fish&Fish and persuaded more people to try it. Past that I honestly don't remember anything else ;)

Edit: Completely forgot to mention the storm that came rolling in over the island at about 9pm. We'd seen it hours ago out in the horizon but we started noticing flashes of lightning in the distance later on, then over the next hour as the storm came towards us the whole sky was alight with fork lightning, never seen anything like it before. Pretty cool!

Last edited:
Don't let the bastards grind you down! It's Ibiza, if you want to indulge, go for it. if you want to complain, GET TAE FRANCE!

Good review man. Regarding Together in August, it was busy but not uncomfortable. After C+S it emptied out a fair bit and was pretty much finished by the time Andy C finished around 6am

Good review, that mate of yours sounds annoying though! I remember once I went with a mate of a mate, and they kept being 'concerned' about me and my friends indulgence, to the point it became annoying, when they suggested we find a bar that doesn't play house music I knew that this wasn't the place for them! Some people get it, some people don't, I feel sorry for those that don't

Day 4: Wednesday
Tuesday was hard enough to recall so this day just seems like a dream :lol:. Everyone else seemed to be up and about and down at the pool. I woke quite late so I headed round to the other room to see my mate was in bed also. I can't even remember if we got breakfast or not but the 2 of us headed to the beach for a quick dip. In no time at all it was 5pm and we headed up to the cafe to get an enchilada (pretty damn good!). We were feeling so rough we just sat there laughing our heads off at things that had happened so far and the possibility of getting even more drugs. I think we got a kick out of offending the others. :lol: We kept singing that R Kelly line "My mind is telling me no... but my body, my body is telling me yes!" :lol:

Between then and the evening is a bit hazy I don't think much else happened apart from us getting more cigs, booze and meeting with the others in the hotel. It was Suara closing party at Booom tonight so we went across the street to get tickets - at a bargain of 20 euro! Result. All of us were in the room again drinking and after a litre bottle of San Miguel I was feeling slightly more human. Next door must have been getting a bit pissed off again because security came up once more to tell us to get out.

We dandered down to the strip to get taxis into ibiza town. 5 got into the first taxi and we waited for another (I was so tempted to nip up and get more drugs but didn't bother). The problem with the 2 taxis was that we didn't agree on a specific place to meet in Ibiza town :spank:
So the first taxi went to the port and ours left us off in the centre of town. I finally got the others on the phone and agreed to meet at the Piazza. I couldn't get my bearings at all so took forever to figure out where we'd been left off.
A couple of jars at a bar there and we walked , yes walked, all the way to Booom :lol: It would have been good to spend more time around the town and try different bars but at this stage time was against us.
I thought it was a pretty cool venue, great soundsystem, but because I was pretty sober ended up spending 60 euro on drinks within an hour. :evil:
Shortly thereafter we headed back to PDB for a Fish&Fish:). I can't praise this place enough :lol:. The van was blasting music and the atmosphere around it was bangin. It was about 4am and not ready to call it a night yet, bought beer from the van and headed to the beach and dived in for one last swim. I couldn't help but feel a bit depressed at the thought of us having to go home the next day! :mad:
After a couple more laughs we departed to our rooms dreading the 11am check out the next day.... :mad:

Final Day: Thursday
That hangover that I had been successfully evading all week came crashing in on the last day. I was so exhausted when I got up that I didn't even know where I was or what I was doing, I just stuffed all my clothes into my bag and headed out the door. I'm sure some on here can attest to how it feels - complete autopilot, struggling to keep eyes open, dragging feet along the floor :lol:
We headed for the usual cafe for food whether we wanted to or not. I was sitting at the table falling in and out of sleep. Trying to order was a struggle and the waitress knew herself I was at death's door haha. Our food finally came and my scrambled eggs were freezing cold and tasted like seaweed eeughh. Really the last thing I needed, I managed to get half of it down me anyway. Afterwards we dragged ourselves down to the strip (for some reason) dandering in and out of shops. It was like a scene from Dawn of the Dead :lol:.
We eventually got back to the hotel and headed for the dark, cool seated area at the back of the lobby. We all took our place on the hard chairs and tried to catch some sleep - it was a sorry sight I tell ye!
After a while I knew I had to get up and go for a walk to the beach, I stood there for ages at the promenade watching the planes coming in and found out a few of the others were down the promenade a bit at a cafe. Headed down to get some food and a pint - which was like a magic elixir haha, I felt like I was ready for another night. Gutted I was heading home as it was Richie Hawtin at Space tonight. Although saying that by the time I got back to the hotel I started to drop again, I'd barely any money thanks to Booom the night before and poor budgeting on my part :mad:

The time had come, we headed outside the hotel to get a taxi to the airport and were seen off by the scottish lads that had another few days left there. A few mins later we were sitting in the most depressing place of Ibiza - the departure lounge. At this stage you just wish you could click your fingers and be home without all the travelling malarkey. It was so warm in the airport Id to switch the tshirt for a vest, even though it probably meant turning into a popsicle upon returning to Belfast!
So we got home and said our goodbyes and called it a night...

Cue a week later and I've been in work 1 day this week due to a serious cold and general recovery :lol: The depression was felt hard by everyone since we got home and it still hasn't shifted!! Hearing a few of this summer's house hits on the radio would almost bring a tear to yer eye. :(
We've all agreed to go back next year anyway for a week this time so that's lifted the spirits somewhat, that and a trip to Berlin in February ;) Steins 'n' Lines.

Last edited:
Back