Barcelona

nish

Gonna be hitting Barcelona in June (no not for Sonar - just miss it!)

Never been before so need to know the script with whats what? Best beaches. Best restaurants and of course. Le rave. Is razzmatazz the club that used to be la terraza?

I am totally out of the loop and need educating please...

Feed me seymour! x

razzmatazz http://www.salarazzmatazz.com/

it used to be called zeleste back in the 90s - huge space, which is split into 3 separate clubs. in the poble nou district (pueblo nuevo) However, it is nowhere near la terraza, which is in pueblo espanol on Montjuic - on the hill - buses up from Pza Espanya metro or a cable car ride if you've time. Razmatazz, City Hall, Moog, Sala Apolo are the clubs to check around the centre.

Barca beach is a no-no - dirty water and well overcrowded in the summer. You're best off getting a RENFE train down the coast (30mins?) from Catalunya to casteldefells or sitges, which are a lot nicer and more chilled.

Food - am no foodie, but the fish/pasta restaurants around Barceloneta on the harbour can be seriously good value - open air 3 course lunch, bread, drink, all in for under €10

Depending on when you're there, you may also catch the end of La Liga as well - or at least the open-top parade :D

I'm in Calafell(40mins outside Barca) in June. The beaches there are lovely, food is good, apart from it's very own club called Louie Vegas there is nothing. However it suits us as just a nice quiet week away with family and friends.

Thinking about a night out though in Barcelona so be interesting to know if the clubs are any good during the week or not.

Food - am no foodie, but the fish/pasta restaurants around Barceloneta on the harbour can be seriously good value - open air 3 course lunch, bread, drink, all in for under €10

hahahaha OLLY IS DEFINATELY NO FOODIE!!! ;)
for the uber-cool food treat try:INOPIA.....:twisted:

for shopping head down to 'passeig del born' & make sure you get some boiled lollies @ 'papbubble' YUM YUM YUM....

sitges is the beach i usually frequent when i stay in barca....
barceloneta is prettty filthy but its ok if you dont care about clean water & only want a perv!;) there's a HUGE flew market that you should make an effort to check out,.... have found the most amazing little trickets there..... good vintage key rings etc (4 presents etc)

clubbing: razzamatazz is ****E imo... its full of ****ers & its too big! i used to play @ fonefone but i dont think that club exists anymore... also moog? but i dont know if that still plays anything decent..... whe you get there just ask around. CITY HALL IS DISGUSTING...... urgh.... gross....! i know there is the BEST little bar just off la rambla's (where the prostitiutes kinda hang) thats rocks but i have no idea what the name is.... DJS usually play till around 3am & they are very cool.... but i dont know the street names... only how to get there by drunken walk:oops: i will ask a few mates A& see if i can get the name.... well worth checking out.....

barcelona is in my top 5cities in the world! you will LOVE it! :twisted:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wanting to find a label night on a rooftop during Sonar, so...... if anyone knows of this kinda thang goin down......... :D

Nish! :p

I personally love sitting at or around the chiringuitos along Barcelona's beaches. Probably worth walking a bit further down from the Barceloneta end to get away from the worst of the crowds who can't be bothered to walk five minutes from the metro. The Pacha beach bar is a good spot for people/poser-watching, or all the way down to Mar Bella if you want to see naked gays:lol:. If you want a nicer beach, like others have said Sitges is cool but does get busy - one stop further is Villanova which I really like. Sil's recommended a beach to the north of Barcelona which I haven't been to yet, think it's St Pol de Mar?

I like the bars and restaurants in the upper part of Raval as that's my hood - have a wander around the MACBA area, Carrer Joaquim Costa and Rambla de Raval. Pretty clueless about clubs, but I definitely want to give La Terrazza a whirl this summer, think it opens in May. xx

I personally love sitting at or around the chiringuitos along Barcelona's beaches. Probably worth walking a bit further down from the Barceloneta end to get away from the worst of the crowds who can't be bothered to walk five minutes from the metro. The Pacha beach bar is a good spot for people/poser-watching, or all the way down to Mar Bella if you want to see naked gays:lol:. If you want a nicer beach, like others have said Sitges is cool but does get busy - one stop further is Villanova which I really like. Sil's recommended a beach to the north of Barcelona which I haven't been to yet, think it's St Pol de Mar?

I like the bars and restaurants in the upper part of Raval as that's my hood - have a wander around the MACBA area, Carrer Joaquim Costa and Rambla de Raval. Pretty clueless about clubs, but I definitely want to give La Terrazza a whirl this summer, think it opens in May. xx

If memory serves me right are you teaching English in Barcelona? If so how are you finding it and the move from the UK?

If memory serves me right are you teaching English in Barcelona? If so how are you finding it and the move from the UK?

Hi Angie, yes that's right. The teaching is good on the whole. The TEFL course was really intense and stressful - you are thrown in at the deep end and have to start teaching on your first day and I hated being observed and criticised - I didn't handle that very well at all! :oops: But on the up side you are thrown together with people all day every day for a month so I made some really good mates. It was pretty easy to find work afterwards, although I had to compromise on my unwillingness to teach kids and have 6 hours of classroom time a week with teenagers which can be truly horrendous. The adult classes are generally really good and I enjoy the work. The money is pretty rubbish but even so, I can afford to live in the centre of the city, which is fantastic. You can make enough to survive as a teacher and have a good social life, but I don't have extra for savings/pensions/fancy holidays/fancy clothes etc. Apart from missing friends and family, I can't say I miss London all that much...

Hey Stranger! Thanks for the advice :)

The TEFL course was really intense and stressful - you are thrown in at the deep end and have to start teaching on your first day and I hated being observed and criticised -

I thought those TEFL courses were really good and laid back? Have you tried done it elsewhere hon?

I thought those TEFL courses were really good and laid back? Have you tried done it elsewhere hon?

The course only took 4 weeks, so it was painful, but it was over quickly. I definitely wouldn't call it laid back (and the Cambridge course I did is pretty standard worldwide), although the TEFL lifestyle can be pretty sweet if you can get a good timetable.

Let me know if you want to meet for a beer while you're over here. xx

The course only took 4 weeks, so it was painful, but it was over quickly. I definitely wouldn't call it laid back (and the Cambridge course I did is pretty standard worldwide), although the TEFL lifestyle can be pretty sweet if you can get a good timetable.

just want to add on this.... if you are going to do a TEFL course, do the CELTA, ( as Holly G did, right?) it's the most recognised.

I did it a few years back and it was very time consuming and hard work... but well worth it!

Im in Barca too in June too. Go to Los Caracoles in Bari Gotic. (port end of ramblas. its very famous. Dont book just arrive and put your name down for a table. Wait may be an hour, and you can leave and come back but if you miss your place its gone. its great place though well worth it.

Advice on any jazz places anyone?

Sil's recommended a beach to the north of Barcelona which I haven't been to yet, think it's St Pol de Mar?

Yes, my fav beach is Sant Pol, you can easely get there by train. And there's one of the best nudist beaches around ;)

If you wander around upper Raval pay attention cos you can cross paths with Holly G, she is now half spaniard so you may not recognise it :lol:

Rachel, I may join you for that Terrazzza whirl, I haven't been there for 6 years and probabl it's time to give it a last go 8)

I'll join you if you want me :D

Back