Armand Van Helden @ Space - Dance floor disaster

monkehUK

I just read somewhere that AVH cleared the dancefloor at Space a couple of years ago by playing a HipHop/Rap set, can anyone fill me in? :?:

Yeah I think he finished his set off with 15 minutes of hip-hop and got "booed" off, though he claimed that the booing was people telling him it was cool, because "boo" was shouted at garage events at the time to say "your cool"
roughly along those lines anyway

the avh story

he was playing hip or trying too.

but he was stop in his tracks by a rather drunkern brandon block. who jump inot the box and pulled the record off, the proceed to tell avh to f off.

that how the story goes. i don't think it was at space though i think it was at privalige.

As far as i know it was indeed Space

i think he came on after a house dj and proceeded to play the closing terrace set (or next to closing one) with a hip-hop set

boo-ed off in shame after about 3 tracks i think

My friend was there and it was definatly Space, he'd played 3 hip hop records in a row in his set that was good up til then and got booed off by some people.

It's on an Ibiza programme i have on video, several 'faces' comment on it (good & bad) and one says that he's ahead of his times.

Last year there was several clubs playing hip hop and it was last summers 'big thing'

JT said:
Last year there was several clubs playing hip hop and it was last summers 'big thing'

very good point, i wonder if he played some hip hop tracks this summer, would he get 'booooo'd off' - i would hope not.

is it not the case that these events that played hip-hop...advertised that they were playing that

thinking of Pachas back room for example

AVH however, chose to play it to a house/techno crowd at Space

Well I was there. I like hip ho but it had no place on the terrace at space. He brought the house down and ruined every ones vibe. He then hung around to do an interview with a magazine. He was lucky he wad not linched. From memory it was also a lot longer than 15 mims. I would say at least 30 mins. Im my opinion he was just showimg off because he was the biggest dj of the day. Where is he now? ???

At least he was`nt been told what to play.I once saw Norman Jay have to play Robert Miles-children:eek: in the main room at Amnesia because some dip$hit drummer was floating above the dj box and could only bang away to tunes he knew...:confused:

Last edited:
Well I was there. I like hip ho but it had no place on the terrace at space. He brought the house down and ruined every ones vibe. He then hung around to do an interview with a magazine. He was lucky he wad not linched. From memory it was also a lot longer than 15 mims. I would say at least 30 mins. Im my opinion he was just showimg off because he was the biggest dj of the day. Where is he now? ???

what year was it

what year was it

I was also there, I think it was 2001 or 2002 , he started his set everyone was going with it for about 15 mins, then we realised he was sticking with the hip hop, I remember his crew dancing like twats at the front bumping people, then a uk dj not Brandon came in pulled the music up, cleared the booth of all the beer bottles then carried on .
I'm pretty sure it was a tune like "to be on love" ,
Ohh how I miss the old space :-(

Back