Any advice on driving to Ibiza?

OllieNotts

I just want to price up the cost and time involved with driving with the lads next year. I wanna see that dat villa from the boat as we come into port 8)
We are leaving Nottingham, and I am not very good at these things so a point in the right direction would be good. I assume a ferry to spain somewhere, drive to Barca and then ferry from there to Ibiza town and an opposite for the return leg.
Anyone done it? How long? Was it worth it or was there big regret on the last day after a week or two of being "on it" :)

Like you've correctly stated drive down to Portsmouth and take the ferry crossing to Santander & once your in Spain drive over to Barcelona for the Ibiza ferry. For your return trip why not drive over the Pyrénées into France then up the autoroute to the best ferry port location for your home destination St Malo, Dieppe, Boulogne or Calais.

Pricing such a trip is difficult given that Petrol and toll prices will no doubt be much higher in 2012 than now.

Nott's - Portsmouth 26.26 euros approx
Santander - Barcelona 100 euros approx
Barcelona - St Malo 183 approx
Barcelona - Calais 210 euros approx

Above calculations taken from the Michelin Route Planner website and ofcourse are 2010 prices including any autoroute toll charges and does not include any ferry crossings.

thought denia would be better to get ferry.not so far to drive through spain.shortest route.ferry to france.rac route map it.you need to drivers.lots of stop offs.plenty of change for toll roads.book your ferry well in advance.give your self plenty of time.

Cheers, when I mentioned this on sat in the pub one of my mates said 'drive it' in a right wingy voice meaning he's not keen. And he's mardy to so if I have a price and time scale it might help me convince him. Another option would be fly to Barca, hire car, ferry to Ibiza and leave the car in Ibiza? Fly home from there might stop him moaning then.

Cheers, when I mentioned this on sat in the pub one of my mates said 'drive it' in a right wingy voice meaning he's not keen. And he's mardy to so if I have a price and time scale it might help me convince him. Another option would be fly to Barca, hire car, ferry to Ibiza and leave the car in Ibiza? Fly home from there might stop him moaning then.

Blue Eyez is out there at the moment driving from UK through France both ways. Will be back soon so probably a good person to ask ?

Thoughts are :

- Motorway tolls in France are hefty. Even just driving pretty locally around Marseilles, as far as Hyeres one side and Arles the other and avoiding some motorway options, I must have been done for over £30 in tolls on the Autoroutes in a weekend :eek:. Cost tolls out carefully (tho' nowadays you can just shove your credit card in the toll booth machines so don't need change !)

- You'd need to overnight on the way out and back if driving.

- Driving the length of France both ways is bound to cost a fair amount in tolls and fuel. Refuelled with Diesel twice there recently - 1,24 Euros/litre at a a small cheap local service station miles from the motorway and 1,45 Euros/litre at the airport/motorway stations.

- You most likely won't persuade many (if any) of the hire companies to let you do a 1-way car hire to the island - or if you do would be a very hefty surcharge. Why not just ferry in as a passenger from Barcelona (or even Palma) and rent on the island if you just want the experience of arriving by boat :confused: ?

- Ferry Portsmouth to Santander is about a 24hour crossing... and loads of driving at the other end to get to the Ibiza ferry points. Add on probably about £450+ for a crossing with, for example, a regular car like a Mondeo including one driver ... :idea: starts looking quite pricey when compared to flying already ?

if all i was interested in was seeing ibiza from a boat, i'd fly to palma, get the ferry to ibiza, and then fly back to my home airport. don't get the fast ferry because you're not allowed on the deck whilst in motion.

You'll also get the same views of Ibiza town arriving by boat from one of the east coast resorts for instance, it would only cost a few euros...

another option is to just fly out.normal booking a hols.then get the little boats from playa den bossa.that take you round to ibiza town.3.50 one way or 6 euro return.

9avhnd.jpg

if all i was interested in was seeing ibiza from a boat, i'd fly to palma, get the ferry to ibiza, and then fly back to my home airport. don't get the fast ferry because you're not allowed on the deck whilst in motion.

this sounds like your best bet

you can meet your sensible mates on the island

driving there, purely to see ibiza appear on the horizon on a ferry, however a romantic image that is, is plain stupid!

All right fook me no need for the abuse I was asking to find out the pros and cons :lol:
Plenty of sensible options posted thanks :)

if you have lots of time then driving through spain is a wonderful experience, so much to see and do and fabulous food everywhere. the route from santander to denia (even the shortest one) takes in some fabulous places and is well worth doing if you want to discover what the 'real' spain away from the costas is like.

Unfortunately my mates won't be interested in a proper road trip :( I've read it's a magical experience pulling in to port in Ibiza town as you start your holiday and want to one day experience it. I don't expect all people to understand that as it seems a lot on here only go to large it up in the west end and don't appreciate the real beauty the island has to offer. I would like to do a bit more each trip starting with this sensible or not! 8)
Cheers Stephen.

Sorry mate, didn't mean it to be abusive. I think it'd be class, but when you weigh it up against budget flights and hire car, it makes no sense at all. Olly, formerly of this board, did it. I don't think he'd recommend it.

Have you just read one of the Ibiza books, the White Island, or the one about the boy attempting to make Wine? Name escapes me.

here's some shots from years gone by

cruising towards vedra
100_1128.JPG

going past vedra
100_1133.JPG

about to leave ibiza
100_0183.JPG

leaving palma going to ibiza
100_4564.JPG

pulling in to ibiza
100_4582.JPG

Those pics look fantastic! I think I'll look at a flight to Majorca and a ferry over even if I'm by myself :D we only live once, looks like a site I'd regret not making the effort to see in person.

i did have loads more photo;s but lost them over the years.you next thing to do is walk round it.very steep but nice.lovely little shops and bars.

We had a few days in formentera this year.. one day we drove to the highest point on the island ( far de la mola ) its 142m above sea level, on the road up we stopped to take in one of the views and you can see all of formentera and ibiza the view was amazing...;)

Those pics look fantastic! I think I'll look at a flight to Majorca and a ferry over even if I'm by myself :D we only live once, looks like a site I'd regret not making the effort to see in person.

mrs el ste just bought me a 2 night flight to palma for my birthday in december, and a return one at that!

Back