An American In Ibiza...With a One Way Ticket to the Isle

paulhinrichsen

Edit: Forgot to say this was from June 22nd-July6th!

I was in Ibiza for 2010 my first time for only two days, and with the craving to go back...I booked a one way ticket...and well we all know what that means! You spend more time than the one week I planned!

I flew Ryanair from London, a relative boarding nightmare...but for the price I won't complain and after all, for the destination it brings me to...they could tie me to the wing and I wouldn't complain. I was with a female friend traveling with me, and our first order was to take the bus from the airport and find our hotel, which proved to be difficult at first. We met up with my friend who was already in the room with a bottle of Ranchitos Tequila (this will get its own paragraph soon enough) and a bottle of cheap vodka...a good sign. We were staying at the hotel Don Quijote which is located right in the beginning of Figueretas.

Hotel- Had to be pay $10 a day for the air conditioner which didnt work, got a refund, but it made for horrible drunk sleeping from 6-11am when the sun was coming up and pouring into the room, but overall was a nice bang for the buck. Regret not staying in SA from the start however it was nice to experience both sides of the island for a week.

First Night- Ministry of Sound @ Space
I got free entrance to the party through a Rep i met on couchsurfing before the trip so we decided to just hammer down some Ranchitos and go to Space around 1. I didnt know really anything about any of the DJs playing there before we went, except hearing about who Jaguar Skills was. I'm not a dubstep fan at the slightiest, but I can say this is still the only time I have truly enjoyed listening and especially dancing to it. Jaguar Skills mixed some popular big room house tunes, into dubstep mashups of old school hip hop and it was brilliant. We must have entered the terrace just as get got there as he played a long set. We stayed till about 430...but I'm not sure who the DJ that played after was. Good time all around! Space is always a good experience everytime I've gone.

Second Night- F*** Me I'm Famous @ Pacha
I went last year on the first night I was ever in Ibiza, and had a ton of fun. Mark Knight is my favorite DJ and this is where I first heard him play in 2010, and I have always loved Guetta's music. This year, with Avicii opening...I was not going to miss it again. We got there relatively early and paid the normal 60e fee to get in (we bought tickets beforehand). We wanted to be there for all of Avicii's set and were pleased to find the dancefloor not completely jammed yet. We were able to rage right in front of Avicii's booth for about 30 minutes before the sardine effect Pacha is known for on Monday and Thursday. Avicii smashed it, playing a string of his tunes and singing along the whole way. Guetta came on afterwards, and had the entire crowd going crazy. I enjoyed his set last year better because he played a lot of songs from One Love and Pop Life. His set was still good, but the sardine packed dance floor was one of the most annoying crowd experiences I have ever had. Me and my friend stayed till the end and I made him stay to see Sarah Main who I saw play last year and enjoyed. Hit the sheets around 7am.
268836_10150230692898999_502118998_7440449_7906343_n.jpg

Third Night- Fiesta del Agua @ Es Paradis
From the reviews I have read, most people stay away from this from what I can tell...no one really talks about it. Being 4 Americans who recently graduated college, we couldnt resist the $15 price tag. (We couldve gotten in for free at midnight but that was too early) We went around 230 and it was generally a good time, and an incredible amount of anticipation for the ensuing pool party that was about to take place. At 4am it finally happens and were officially dancing in the rain..one of the coolest experiences I have ever had. The DJ was nooone particularly famous but played songs that everyone loved, and the focus was of course on the water. It was probably the funnest hour and a half of dancing/splashing/dunking I have ever had. From hurling water at each other with empty drink glasses to splashing everyone in your way, and all of the beautiful girls in bathing suits jumping around, it was hard not to have fun at this place. After the party was over several of us decided to run and slide (slip'n'slide) style down the middle of the floor. It was great fun, someone even slid into the back of me and took me out like they were sliding into 2nd base (only americans might understand the reference)...and all of my friends made fun of me. This led to all four of us and some other british girls and an irish girl running out of Es Paradis and directly into the ocean. For the price...Fiesta del Agua was a ton of fun.

Aguamar Water Park
Here's something I rarely see people review, the waterpark located in Playa den Bossa next to Space is only 18e for the day, and is well worth a trip if your in ibiza for a week or more and have some time to explore everything. None of the slides are very tall like a lot of american water parks, but me and my two male friends went and had a ton of fun for the day. Prices are reasonable for food and beer, so you can make it a 4-5 hour event if you like waterparks. Im a kid at heart so racing my friends and maybe a little bit of flirting with the lifeguards never hurt anyone. Fun thing to check out, and especially a must do if you have kids!

Fourth Night- Cafe Ole @ Space
After a long day at the water park, and a late jump on pre gaming, we decided on Cafe Ole to see something a little bit different than the main stream parties we had been going to, we spent a lot of time in the Red Box this time around as the DJ was quite good, and very different. We wandered around and just had a few beers. Probably wouldn't go back to this event unless I had free entry again..but I did enjoy it.

Fifth Night- Espuma Foam Party- Amnesia
4 Straight nights of pounding Ranchitos tequila which will forever remain in my heart, started taking a tole on us but we pressed on and rented ATV's for 24 hours. We toured literally the entire island. Here's our route...We started from Ibiza town and went north to Benirras..then to SA..then back to IT.

ATVtri.jpg

We stayed at Benirras for a hippie party and it was fantastic! We went swimming, drank 2e beers, and listened to the locals playing their drums. They had fire shows and other cool performances, some by drunk tourists. Fantastic sunday night! We drove to SA afterwards for some drinks, and than went back to our hotel. We didnt finish pregaming and grabbing drinks at the bar next to our hotel til around 3am. Thinking the night might just continue at the bar, the bartender told us he had ticlets for the Foam Party at Amnesia for 15 euros each. I was sold, and we were all on our way. Amnesia wasnt too crowded so it was quite enjoyable having a spacious place. We were in the main room and on the balcony there was some of the hottest dancers in ibiza dancing the whole time. Finally the foam came, and this being maybe the 3rd or 4th foam party i had been to, I had expectations. Then after about 5 minutes I was reminded I was in ibiza and this is nothing you have ever experienced before. The foam was coming at a rate that i will describe as out of control. I got so much in my eyes i had to climb on a ledge to continue dancing without struggling to breathe or see straight. Once I got sorted and the intial foam blast was done I rejoined my friends who all managed to be scattered due to the foam. Rejoining the girl, we danced to what turned into a bunch of classic 70 and 80s american rock songs which was fun. Certainly recommend doing the Amnesia foam party if you have already done "We Love" or dont want to do "We Love" at Space.

Ranchitos Tequila
Probably the best alcohol find I have ever had. Priced extremely low for the large bottles...It has to be the best alcohol for the buck I have ever tasted. As a tequila lover, I have tried a ton of different brands and this is hands down my favorite along with Patron. But for 1/5th of the price, Ranchitos is seriously amazing. My 3 friends were just as in love, has anyone else experienced this to? They dont sell it in America!!!

Sixth Night- Monday's Calling @ Space
First the night started out with a trip to the sunset strip for the first time. Which was long overdue, mainly the problem of it being on the other side of the island. We ate at Savanah and bought Sangria, both the food and Sangria was excellent. Afterwards, me and one of my mates walked up to Cafe del Mar and ordered a Heineken and bounced along with Mark Knight's pre-party set. There were virtually no people there! Only about 30 people were at Cafe del Mar to see D Ramirez and Mark Knight's pre party set...I enjoyed it a lot and was able to snap a picture with my favorite DJ afterwards. Everyone was occupied with fighting each other to snap a picture of Max Vangelli or AN21 at Mambo and getting yelled at by their annoying security guards.

270401_10150370723437538_560172537_10467244_6650225_n.jpg

On to Monday's Calling. We got tickets for 25euros, maybe 20?, and headed on to Space for the night. D Ramirez was playing when we got there and he played a great set. Space was the perfect amount of nicely crowded, with room to dance. We got right up close to the front and finally Mark Knight came on. He played a fantastic set that included his remix of Florence and the Machine- You've Got the Love, which I think along with Alesso's remix of Pressure were the best remixes of the summer. At one point he played the legendary "Jack's House" track and had everyone sit down in the club, and jump at one point. One of the best experiences on the isle this year...Mark Knight never fails. Koen Groneveld closed the night up and was also quality. One of my favorite nights!

264965_10150378456177538_560172537_10555036_3675451_n.jpg

281659_10150378457952538_560172537_10555061_654108_n.jpg

Seventh Night Fiesta del Agua @ Es Paradis...Again

Two of my friends last night in Ibiza, and I had 6 people on a study abroad program flying in. Half already had tickets to it, and would only be there for two days so I met up with them at Mambo and drank ranchitos and some beer on the rocks, watching the fire dancer and preparing for the night. Most of the newcomers wanted to go to Es Paradis at midnight and I told them we still have at least 2 hours to go. They finally listened to me and we continued with another alcohol trip to the supermarket. Es Paradis was exactly as it was the first time. We had a crew of 8 or so, and had an absolute blast.

Eighth Night Be @ Space
With only the girl I was traveling with left, and the study abroad folks gone, me and the girl made our move across the island. We stayed at the Can Jurat hostal/hotel which only cost us 40 euros a night combined for a private room with a fan. About a 10 minute walk to Es Paradis and the middle of the port.
One of the funnest nights on the island, we went to sunset strip to meet up with my study abroad friends and jammed out at Mambo's rocks to the Subliminal Pre Party led by Chuckie and Erick Morillo. The free bus we were supposed to get, was over an hour late and we decided to bounce and head to Space at about 1:30. We got there in time for Sunnery James and Ryan Marciano and loved their pure house set. I bounced back into the main room after that and had my first real trance experience. (Im not into Trance, or so I thought) I loved Armin's set, certainly the loudest music I've ever heard in my life. I now begin to understand why he has such a large and crazy following. Although Armin was fantastic I abandoned his set to come back for the last few minutes of RM and SJ so I could see all of Fedde Le Grand's set. Fedde absolutely killed it and I was there till about 5am when I left with my study abroad friends who were stuck with an 8am flight back to Barcelona. Space was booming that night, and the opening party certainly had a huge buzz around it. After seeing off my friends and getting on the bus to SA alone, I chatted up two 18 year old English girls who did not know how to get back when the bus from Space dropped us off in Ibiza Town and we needed to switch to get to SA. I faked not knowing where my hotel was from the SA bus station and in return got their phone number (smooth). Night turned out to be a huge success because without meeting them I would have been alone for a significant portion of the next week.
270314_10150378461062538_560172537_10555110_1670212_n.jpg

261257_10150378461732538_560172537_10555124_7396865_n.jpg

Ninth Night San Antonio's West End

I spent the night in the West End with the british girls i met at the end of the night before and must have had a shot in every bar we passed along with some big drinks and fancy straws. The night was kind of a blur and I ended up bribing an old Spanish man who couldnt speak English in Hotel Orosol I think was the name (its by the football field and the main bus station in SA) so I could sleep in the british girls room. Worst hangover came in the morning from sleeping in a college size bed with someone else, the sun shining through the window and no air or fan..oh and it was roughly 30 degrees that day. Rough walk back.
There is however this picture from the balcony of the hotel to comemmorate the experience...
283487_10150719830425451_642540450_19999697_2057824_n.jpg

Tenth Night Nothing!
My first break from the madness, my female friend I was staying with contracted a nasty illness and really could not do much at all. I went to the sunset strip with the english girls but did not follow their lead to I Want My MTV Ibiza. They later reported it sucked.
267695_10150378463427538_560172537_10555146_5532761_n.jpg

Eleventh Night Another Night in the West End
Responding to an email the night before, I scored an invite to do a focus group with the label manager for Swedish House Mafia. We spent an Hour at the little bar next to Mambo called Mint. Me and my friend spent an hour with 6 others answering questions and arranging pictures to help understand why their fans love SHM so much, and what about them is marketed well. We got free corona, pizza, chicken and SHM items for our time!

Another night consisting of not deciding which bar to go to, and which deal to accept. But still a lot of fun, not too much to report however!

Twelfth Night Night off for the bank account
Beached it all day, found a great thai restaurant near the Burger King, and generally relaxed the day away. Nothing much to report though.

Thirteenth Night Masquerade Motel @ Pacha
Night started off hanging out around Mambo for the Masquerade Motel pre party, which was dealt out by the wonderkid Alesso. The pre party was fantastic and i absolutely loved Alesso. Me and the british girls then boarded the bus with alcohol and went on our way to Pacha. We entered Pacha to see Alesso just taking the helm, and he impressed! He remixed the Police, and specifically remixed Roxanne..the classic. He absolutely killed it and the club booming before the Swedes even took the set. When they finally did, they played a lot of popular hits, and had Pacha going crazy. I was a bit further back, but the sardine effect was almost as bad as the experience of FMIF. The night however was a success although I paid 70e for the ticket! A bank breaker for an American.

283983_10150378466127538_560172537_10555178_2938482_n.jpg

My last day and a half consisted mainly of relaxing at the beach, figuring out funds and planning the trip out. The July 4th send off from SHM however was an amazing way to celebrate America's birthday and capped off a long and thrilling trip.

Best Night: Be @ Space with AvB, FlG, RM and SJ
Bet Set: Alesso+Mark Knight
Best Pre-Party: Alesso @ Mambo
Best Club: Space
Biggest Regret: Not doing the Zoo Project
Things I Will Plan to Do Different: Stay in SA the entire time, Go to Cream @ Amnesia, Ushuaia and DC10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you had a blast - great review, nice with the pics - and even nicer to see a non-Brit "getting" San An for once :) ! Also 8) that you did the island circuit - so many great places to see outside the main resorts.

Out of 5 trips this Summer between end of May and early October, the ones where I thought Ibiza was best this year were just before your trip and just after - that time of year once things are getting underway properly but before the UK schools break up in late July is great. The Season still feels fresh, the water's just about warm enough and Summer's all to play for.

Hope you make it out for the season next year - will be the time of your life and absolutely the right age to do it, if you can pull it all together so good luck with that.

Sounds like you had a blast - great review, nice with the pics - and even nicer to see a non-Brit "getting" San An for once :) ! Also 8) that you did the island circuit - so many great places to see outside the main resorts.

Out of 5 trips this Summer between end of May and early October, the ones where I thought Ibiza was best this year were just before your trip and just after - that time of year once things are getting underway properly but before the UK schools break up in late July is great. The Season still feels fresh, the water's just about warm enough and Summer's all to play for.

Hope you make it out for the season next year - will be the time of your life and absolutely the right age to do it, if you can pull it all together so good luck with that.

Yea the time I went seemed really good, the island was flooded but things were starting to really pick up from what I could tell. I'd certainly like to do a boat party the next time I go. We talked about it from the beginning of our trip, but for some reason it just never really worked out. Formentera is also something I'd like to see for a day. I'll certainly be back for next season, hopefully to work an entire summer..but who knows what will be in store. Doing ibiza for american college student on a budget is so hard with the exchance rate, but it can be done...even if you want to do big club nights.

Boss review.We were there from June 19th-29th, Mark Knight opening was a belter night, one of the best I've ever had, anywhere.

My Gig,,,**** off

I am legend...who the **** are you?

Of course I am not the only American in Ibiza...but perhaps you should check out my webiste before continuing to post dribble with not humor or sense of irony.

sides,

i never wear a bra.

www.anamericaninibiza.com

shenanigans!

Shenanigans!

the american in ibiza website isnt me..i just titled my post that because all the reviews on here seem to come from brits

Back