American here. Advice appreciated!

Edward Diaz

Well, I'm leaving my decently paying job and heeding to ibiza for the season for the experience! However I have a few questions I'm hoping you can ease my worries with.
1) I know I can't get a NIE number. That being said I have a ticket selling job However I want to find something more stable. Will I be able to find work other than ticket selling? And if I am what will it be.
2) Roommates. I heard about that bar in San antonio called "the fish" is it really that easy to find a apartment?
3) how often to police check if you are working illegally (before and after my 90 days)

Thanks guys! Hope to see you there!

1) you might find something else, but I think it's rather unlikely. it's too big a risk for the employer having someone on their payroll illegally
2) you probably mean the ship inn? this is a place where people look for roommates and jobs. you will find somewhere to stay.
3) checks aren't regular, but it just takes one and you're f**ked.

I mean not even a bar hand or anything? I have enough money for for rent all 6 months but I just don't want such a tight budget. Also those ticket selling jobs really don't make too much money right?

And for the checks from the police, how does that go down? Do they just show up at the location and start asking for paperwork? Are they lenient? I mean can you borrow/buy a NIE Number from someone leaving the island for good to get police off your back?

just get used to the fact that, as you're american, you can't work legally in europe without a work visa. and as posted elsewhere in this forum, it's very hard and unlikely to get one.

so, without having a work visa, any job you do, you do it illegally. you can't borrow an NIE number off someone else because the name is on that same paper too and if you get checked you'll have to show both your ID and NIE. so forget that idea straight away.

also, you seem wanting to overstax you 90 days, how do you want to go about that then?

just get used to the fact that, as you're american, you can't work legally in europe without a work visa. and as posted elsewhere in this forum, it's very hard and unlikely to get one.

so, without having a work visa, any job you do, you do it illegally. you can't borrow an NIE number off someone else because the name is on that same paper too and if you get checked you'll have to show both your ID and NIE. so forget that idea straight away.

also, you seem wanting to overstax you 90 days, how do you want to go about that then?
Other than working for PR on the island I domt know what else I can do. I wanted to stay all 6 months

I am a man and my gf moving with me to Ibiza - how much would you pay to marry her???? hahaha I am kidding of course

So what do you think? If I keep
My head down from the police (don't cause a scene) do you think I can last 120
Days?

you don't even necessarily have to cause a scene to be checked by the police. I know there are always a few americans doing a season, but you just have to be aware that you work illegally and that there's always a risk of being caught. instead of leaving your job, why not try to get unpaid leave for maybe a month or two and do a long ibiza holiday instead with the money you've got saved up? especially since you say it's a decently paid job you have.

you don't even necessarily have to cause a scene to be checked by the police. I know there are always a few americans doing a season, but you just have to be aware that you work illegally and that there's always a risk of being caught. instead of leaving your job, why not try to get unpaid leave for maybe a month or two and do a long ibiza holiday instead with the money you've got saved up? especially since you say it's a decently paid job you have.
Well its a job I'm not suited for.. I am business / major. This job is all electrician and mechanical . I mean for my age it pays ok. 20$ am hour

fair enough, I also left a well paid job behind when I left switzerland in pursuit of happiness ;)

...difference is I never even had to consider to work illegally here.

fair enough, I also left a well paid job behind when I left switzerland in pursuit of happiness ;)

...difference is I never even had to consider to work illegally here.
Er maybe I'll get lucky and find something decent over there.. Maybe on the northern side of the
Island at a smaller shop. Where the police won't be looking

the fact that only ticket selling jobs are being offered to you guys and no 'proper' or shall I say stable jobs speaks volumes, doesn't it?

also, I personally know of one american guy that got caught working here illegally and has since been blacklisted by the spanish government. bye bye ibiza clubbing holidays... don't take these things lightly guys.

I know probably fairly slim the chances of being caught but advertising/posting on a fairly prominent site with (presumably) your real name. Don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to track you down.

Stivi is trying to offer good advice re unpaid leave and an extended holiday...

Good luck either way.

It might be a bad idea to work there then. I might just do some data entry at my hotel (200 a week to survive) and stay a tourist

Alarm bells!!!

My understanding of the matter was that any European company or employer you were joining has to confirm that there is no viable European alternative to a non-European i.e.you filling the role.

Unless you've worked for NASA then it's very unlikely to be the case. Likewise the same rules apply for anyone entering the U.S. or Australia for the same purpose.

Last edited:
Back