Afterlife at Hï Ibiza 2018

OK. So a report from last night. This is a hard one to explain, and I’ve been out for two nights in a row, so bare with me.

Firstly, Hï. I’ve not been since it opened, and avoided it because of the obvious comparison to Space. I shouldn’t have worried, they have changed it so much just don’t think about what used to be there.

I just don’t know how to describe the crowd. They are very young! This may be a mid July thing, but this was not usual Afterlife crowd. You got the impression that a lot of them had never heard music this heavy.... but to be fair they weren’t standing still. I think there was a lot of educating going on last night. And is that a bad thing, as musically this night is solid! My guess is 75%+ people there had never been to the old Space (or Afterlife). This night could really be massive. Will be so interesting how it evolves through the season.

The Club Room has no resemblance to the Terraza. And that’s good. It’s just a black box. I hated it at first... until in got into the music, and actually it could become a very good room (just remove the tacky silver railings.... why would anyone do that)? I actually spent more of the night in there than I expecte. Roman Flügel started the night. A lot of melodies early in his set. I’ve never heard him play like that, I usually catch him playing later and harder. Anyway, towards the end he was playing it very hard. Has anyone actually played that room harder? Probably not. Absolutely gutted I’ll miss him at Cocoon next week. Helena Hauff was up next. For the first time in about 5 years I had to record some of a set as she was just smashing it. Think she scared some of the crowd to be honest. I went back in for some of Maceo and he was brilliant too. I have a once a year need for Maceo and he fulfilled it.

Went into the Theatre for Recondite. The room was packed out. Surprised how busy it was. Was for me a standard live set of his, very good but not game changing.

I’m going to be very controversial now and say I think the Theatre has actually some better qualities than the old Discoteca at Space. The floor has been flattened so the moment you walk in the back it’s all the same level and there isn’t a massive bar in the back section that wasted dancefloor. Also, the VIP booths I personally didn’t notice much. They are just above the floor so not much loss of dance-floor.

I think TOU came on later than planned and it took me a while to get into, and by that stage was starting to float away (if you get me). It was a good set, I probably preferred the one I heard last year in Vista, but it was good.

Overall, musically this night is just suburb. I just hope people stick with it and give it a chance at the new location.

OK. So a report from last night. This is a hard one to explain, and I’ve been out for two nights in a row, so bare with me.

Firstly, Hï. I’ve not been since it opened, and avoided it because of the obvious comparison to Space. I shouldn’t have worried, they have changed it so much just don’t think about what used to be there.

I just don’t know how to describe the crowd. They are very young! This may be a mid July thing, but this was not usual Afterlife crowd. You got the impression that a lot of them had never heard music this heavy.... but to be fair they weren’t standing still. I think there was a lot of educating going on last night. And is that a bad thing, as musically this night is solid! My guess is 75%+ people there had never been to the old Space (or Afterlife). This night could really be massive. Will be so interesting how it evolves through the season.

The Club Room has no resemblance to the Terraza. And that’s good. It’s just a black box. I hated it at first... until in got into the music, and actually it could become a very good room (just remove the tacky silver railings.... why would anyone do that)? I actually spent more of the night in there than I expecte. Roman Flügel started the night. A lot of melodies early in his set. I’ve never heard him play like that, I usually catch him playing later and harder. Anyway, towards the end he was playing it very hard. Has anyone actually played that room harder? Probably not. Absolutely gutted I’ll miss him at Cocoon next week. Helena Hauff was up next. For the first time in about 5 years I had to record some of a set as she was just smashing it. Think she scared some of the crowd to be honest. I went back in for some of Maceo and he was brilliant too. I have a once a year need for Maceo and he fulfilled it.

Went into the Theatre for Recondite. The room was packed out. Surprised how busy it was. Was for me a standard live set of his, very good but not game changing.

I’m going to be very controversial now and say I think the Theatre has actually some better qualities than the old Discoteca at Space. The floor has been flattened so the moment you walk in the back it’s all the same level and there isn’t a massive bar in the back section that wasted dancefloor. Also, the VIP booths I personally didn’t notice much. They are just above the floor so not much loss of dance-floor.

I think TOU came on later than planned and it took me a while to get into, and by that stage was starting to float away (if you get me). It was a good set, I probably preferred the one I heard last year in Vista, but it was good.

Overall, musically this night is just suburb. I just hope people stick with it and give it a chance at the new location.
Not sure how many times you went to space , but can’t see how you can’t see the old lay out while walking around

In my opinion they should of really changed it .

Main room there is 2 big bars at the back and the sound engineering right in the middle , room size reduced .

The vip squeezes the room in. also seen drinks coming down from the vip and not in a glass .

The terrace ,, I’ve not seen that room pumping yet been 20 odd times

The only small bit I like is the bogs and that’s only because a few friends are smashing it in there .

Looking forward to Bodzin at afterlife , maybe I’ll fall in love with the place

The only small bit I like is the bogs and that’s only because a few friends are smashing it in there .
SCyyVt

https://goo.gl/images/SCyyVt

I didn’t mind the VIP as much as I though I was going to. Afterlife did a good job hiding it. Can’t say the same thing about other nights at Hi. I actually think they do a lot better job than Pacha with the dance floor and VIP. Think Pacha dropped the ball on their refurbishments more than Hi.

I didn’t mind the VIP as much as I though I was going to. Afterlife did a good job hiding it. Can’t say the same thing about other nights at Hi. I actually think they do a lot better job than Pacha with the dance floor and VIP. Think Pacha dropped the ball on their refurbishments more than Hi.

You must be the only person who’s said something negative about pacha’s refurbishment. Personally I think they’ve done amazing job, made the right changes in those areas that needed improvement.

You must be the only person who’s said something negative about pacha’s refurbishment. Personally I think they’ve done amazing job, made the right changes in those areas that needed improvement.

What did they do though other than white paint, some glass, and open up some walls a bit?

I honestly barely even noticed the changes and my wife had no idea they made changes until I told her.

The fact of the matter is that the main room is half vip and the dance floor is way way too small. I thought they should have changed it over the winter.

What did they do though other than white paint, some glass, and open up some walls a bit?

I honestly barely even noticed the changes and my wife had no idea they made changes until I told her.

The fact of the matter is that the main room is half vip and the dance floor is way way too small. I thought they should have changed it over the winter.

Moved dj box, widened dance floor including entrances to dance floor, moved room 2, they made have improved roof terrace, made huge improvements with the the sound system. Which maybe the best on the island now. There’s other changes they have also made.

And by making all these changes they’ve managed to keep the pacha look.

The hii vip are like space ships at the side of the dance floor which block a lot of the view for some on the dance floor.

Moved dj box, widened dance floor including entrances to dance floor, moved room 2, they made have improved roof terrace, made huge improvements with the the sound system. Which maybe the best on the island now. There’s other changes they have also made.

The hii vip are like space ships at the side of the dance floor which block a lot of the view for some on the dance floor.
Pacha changes were very welcomed and I so now really love this club, I was slating it last year! But let’s be honest to someone who hasn’t been countless times you probably wouldn’t notice much! What’s been done with roof terrace seemed the same to me?

The system in there though is absolutely incredibly!!:eek:

Room 2 is definitely the biggest change and a really nice room, when they said chill out on the Solomun night I wasn’t expecting a room with beds, pitch black and ambient music. Really liked that touch!

I’m regards to Hi and VIP areas if you stand pretty much anywhere and look forward/towards Dj you don’t see them at all. Pacha if you’re on the raised bit at the back and facing forward you are literally watching the VIPs get served bottles all night. I 100% currently prefer Pacha as a club but can’t say the same about the VIP sections.

Pacha changes were very welcomed and I so now really love this club, I was slating it last year! But let’s be honest to someone who hasn’t been countless times you probably wouldn’t notice much! What’s been done with roof terrace seemed the same to me?

The system in there though is absolutely incredibly!!:eek:

Room 2 is definitely the biggest change and a really nice room, when they said chill out on the Solomun night I wasn’t expecting a room with beds, pitch black and ambient music. Really liked that touch!

I’m regards to Hi and VIP areas if you stand pretty much anywhere and look forward/towards Dj you don’t see them at all. Pacha if you’re on the raised bit at the back and facing forward you are literally watching the VIPs get served bottles all night. I 100% currently prefer Pacha as a club but can’t say the same about the VIP sections.

I understand a little what you mean with the pacha vip section but pacha always seem have that touch of making things look classy without being over the top (if you know what I mean).

For me the pacha refurbishment has helped ease the pain a little of space closing. I’ve fallen back in love with the club this year.

The sound system improvements were really nice. The rest didn’t move the needle for me and the vip is worse than Hi imo. I think there is a bit of a double standard around here when it comes to VIP between Pacha and Hi. I went to both Afterlife and Solomun+1. Both nights were very very busy, but Hi was a lot more bearable than Pacha. And when looking at the sardine dance floor at Solomun, I had to shake my head at the miles and miles of VIP space. I still like Pacha a lot as a club, just when it gets really crowded I wish it had less space dedicated to VIP.

Just at cocoon in the park. Taking a break as Sven is on and warming himself up after two hours of TOU. Nice set from the latter, melodic and quite slow tunes that often bordered on old school progressive. I got the sense they were holding back a bit. Would be interested to see how their set varies when they are the headliner.

Gutted the uneducated have discovered Afterlife:cry:

Wont stop me going however
Is it not a good thing that these people may actually get educated?? Agreed some people will never enjoy it but if new people go and discover a new genre to them and fall in love this can only be a good thing imo

Is it not a good thing that these people may actually get educated?? Agreed some people will never enjoy it but if new people go and discover a new genre to them and fall in love this can only be a good thing imo

Hmm could argue both sides of the arguement i suppose

Interesting to read about the comments on the Hi crowd.
When we went last year the In The Dark it definitely felt the crowd just stumbled into the club or were there just to see the new venue.

I was hoping after a season this year it would be different, in particular for Afterlife.

I will be heading back there on 13th Sep for Maceo, Mind Against and TOU, hoping by then it'll have a better crowd.

Interesting to read about the comments on the Hi crowd.
When we went last year the In The Dark it definitely felt the crowd just stumbled into the club or were there just to see the new venue.

I was hoping after a season this year it would be different, in particular for Afterlife.

I will be heading back there on 13th Sep for Maceo, Mind Against and TOU, hoping by then it'll have a better crowd.

That’s when I’m over, pretty excited about tbh. Not been since the Space days.

The Terrace/Club room thing...... If you blindfolded and kidnapped me, put me into the new room at Hi, took off blindfold and then asked where i was... i would have instantly said Space Terrace.

Back