Afterlife at Hï Ibiza 2018

Also the sound is 100% louder too, in fact dancing near front was hurting our ears so moved further back.

Sound is actually crazy loud. First time I had to wear earplugs all night this week, while standing as far from the speakers as possible. Missus' ears in a hoop today.

Likewise, think we're all in agreement on last night. Hadn't been to Hi since a Black Coffee night last year when I said Id never darken its doors again but was massively impressed last night.

Spent my whole night in the Club Room and Schwarzmann (Henrik Schwarz and Frank Wiedemann) was by far the best part of my trip so far. Much more club-leaning and less jazzy than I expected, and the lads vibe off each other brilliantly, thoroughly enjoying themselves. Mano closing the room was quality too.

Definitely a fair few dopes in the crowd but easily ignorable.

Will have to go back for KiNK next week.

Next week right up my street had planned on going but early flight is ruining idea

well I for one can't agree with you about last night. my impression was very much like some others have already expressed on this forum. both rooms lacking in atmosphere, especially in the club room(!), just so many clueless people standing around with their phones in the air, waiting for a drop where nothing much happens visually. poor schwarzmann played to a quiet and almost unmoving audience. maceo plex and finally mano woke up the crowd a little more but I wasn't sold on the atmosphere.

btw second time now at hi and what I noticed especially:
- how ugly, dark and soulless the upper etage is wtf!!
- the outdoor areas are NOT cosy as many seem to think. please visit berlin open air venues to see great chill areas
- hi was the first ever ibiza club I can think of where they exactly measured 4cl into the drink. never happened to me before, everywhere else they just pour in. I HATE that in clubs, and now Ibiza! :/

Ex-Space addict speaking...

I was there also... for me it was the first time I had a good atmosphere at Hï (except for Glitterbox which is a different story). But indeed the club didn't have the same engagement from the audience... (but I missed Mano).

Maceo was in top form and TOU followed with a great set too.

I still don't like the outside areas. They should review this for next year...

Sound was way better than last year, but still some arrangements to be done in the Club... Sound is not as warm as it was in the Space Terrace (which was for me one of my preferred on the island).

Some quick videos I took:

There were some phones filming but mostly during introduction when DJs started their sets and at the bottom of the room as on the front of the dancefloor I didn't see many people filming, people were enjoying a lot, arms pumping and screaming.

Also I'm still a bit lost because of those big VIP areas... I will definitely have to forget my ex-Space spots ;-)

Lightshow was very good, and I really prefer Hï without those massive led screens. This creates a more intimate relation between the DJ and the audience.

Imo it was a great night with the right audience in the Theatre, and I enjoyed it.

I'm still not a big Hï fan, but I have to admit that Afterlife did a very good job to adapt to this club.

interesting to read those diverse feedbacks
Four positive reviews out of five surely proves it was a great night ;-)
Can anyone ID the second last tune on Mr Sick videos please? The one with the male vocals.
I remember when that was played and loved it, one of my “Ibiza moments” this season!

Last edited:
Also I like to add that I haven’t really spent anytime in the Club room so I can’t really comment on the vibe there.
The music in the Theatre was so good that I couldn’t tear myself away.

Can anyone ID the second last tune on Mr Sick videos please? The one with the male vocals.
I remember when that was played and loved it, one of my “Ibiza moments” this season!

I was talking mainly about the theatre during mind against and then mainly about the club room. but as I said theatre later on hasn't convinced me either, though it improved (as almost at every night does). As Ibiza (and space-) veteran I am spoiled maybe :)

I was talking mainly about the theatre during mind against and then mainly about the club room. but as I said theatre later on hasn't convinced me either, though it improved (as almost at every night does). As Ibiza (and space-) veteran I am spoiled maybe :)

Of course, same feeling as you, as a Space veteran there is still no comparison with what I already experienced there :)

... using limited data from a single night of the season...

No doubt, the crowd should improve this time of year.
The venue is still the same though.
I can only speak about the night I’ve attended and IMO it was a good one! I really don’t get the negativity, sometimes I feel some wants this night to be a failure.

Of course, same feeling as you, as a Space veteran there is still no comparison with what I already experienced there :)
Space was also my favourite club in the world but it’s time to let it rest and cherish the good memories. The times I went to Hī I never expected to find similarity to Space, in fact sometimes even if it hasn’t changed much I can’t even figure out the original layout.
If the vibe and the music is good unless falling into pieces or be a proper sh*thole the venue is irrelevant for me.

!

it‘s certainly very encouraging yes. but it doesn‘t take away from the fact that all summer long, a lot of people, some long time forumers too, simply weren‘t blown away by the 2018 version of afterlife.

I really don’t get the negativity, sometimes I feel some wants this night to be a failure.

I can only speak for myself here. the negativity I personally have is because I was a HUGE lover of afterlife and I genuinely hoped this night would be the one night in hï I‘d be finally able to say ‚yes, this one rocks‘. went with best intentions two times, left truly disappointed two times and stopped going after that.

as others have said (me included, tons of times over the past decade), september does normally bring the best crowd to the island so again it is encouraging that a good few of you had a blinder on thu.

and no, I wouldn‘t know why anyone would want afterlife to fail. in my case a few of the people running the ibiza event are actually friends of mine. but I‘m not shy to tell even them that this summer their event feels nothing like afterlife ibiza 2016 or 2017

I can only speak about the night I’ve attended and IMO it was a good one! I really don’t get the negativity, sometimes I feel some wants this night to be a failure.

I agree with you. As much as I loved Space I also went to some crap nights at Space and I felt last Thursday would comfortably sit amongst the better ones Space offered.
Where we were dancing most of the night, middle backish of main room facing the DJ there really wasn't much difference of what Discoteca was like (vip sections dimmed, dim lights generally, v loud).

One night doesn't fix everything I know but its a start.

i might b the only old forumer that do like the afterlife 2018 & not the 2016 at Space (didnt plan it but lovely girl insist to take me to space, that feeling when girls pay u the entry with their credit card :D as its the opposite case on the whole)
When i wrote i like the afterlife, Thursday is by Far Ego manumission at Lio :cool: & im curious if any did these 2 parties and can give a feedback

For Closing,i may spend some time at club room (except Chris Liebing) as i heard too many times Tou this summer in theatre room

I really don’t get the negativity, sometimes I feel some wants this night to be a failure.

I actually really wanted this night to work. When the line-ups got released this was easily the night I was most looking forward to. But on my experience of three visits, it fell well short of expectation. As somebody who never experienced Afterlife at either Space nor Vista, but has enjoyed their parties in London and elsewhere in Europe, this felt anticlimatic.
I don't think it was helped by the fact Martin Garrix proceeded it at Ushuaïa - and ultimately a lot of those lost souls ended up inside Hï afterwards by proxy.
I will likely be going at least twice more before the end of the season, so I genuinely hope there has been an improvement. I'm not holding my breath though.
Equally, I hope we see Afterlife elsewhere in 2019.

Back