Afterlife at Hï Ibiza 2018

There is some of that but no more then you’d see at any other credible house or tech event. I don’t regard prydz as being commercial focussed at all (with one notable exception) but he has benefitted from some crossover, obviously. It’s also probably the best lighting event on the island, for those interested in that kind of thing.

Just seen a clip from someone i know from Prydz on tues...the dancefloor is literally a sea of phones in the air

Thought it was a good night last. Patrice Baumel on way too early so missed his set. Agents of Time were decent, Mano Le Tough good but lacked a bit of structure. Really liked TOU they played it pretty hard, tunes I recognised were Chemical Brothers Hey Boy Hey Girl (remix) Ame Rej, Who is Themba. No Cafe Del Mar or Nothing Around Us that I heard but I was sat out for a bit. Good crowd, first visit there it all feels a bit too polished compared to clubs I like but didn't take the edge off it too much. Usual gripes about drink prices, too many people filming it etc but this is standard nowadays. Light show was pretty epic . 8/10 for me

Interested what you have to say about it

well...I've already shared my thoughts on afterlife at hï earlier in this thread and let's just say for me it hasn't changed since.

this thursday I went because my wife finally wanted to see it with her own eyes. she was a big fan of afterlife when it was at space and even a bigger one when it was at vista last summer. and when I'd shared my initial thoughts on it with her a month ago she was like 'nah come on, you surely are exagerrating, you're always so sceptical and over-analyse stuff'. so I thought OK let's try again and go with a positive attitude.

in short, she thought that compared to old afterlife, the 2018 version hasn't got a patch on it. the line ups are generally great as discussed previously. and the music itself on thursday was fine (apart from mano le tough who we normally really like but as someone else said, he was all over the show this time). but everything else (crowd, vibe, sound quality, production) just lacked massively for our entire group. also way too many phones around everywhere.

am truly sorry I can't put a better light on it because I genuinely hoped afterlife would make me like hi more. but so far it has simply failed to do that and I've noticed am not the only local feeling that way.

Just to echo the above, albeit with a few disclaimers:

- left Cocoon Daytime at Destino early in order to catch Patrice Bäumel (travesty he was on so early, thought the same of Denis Horvat at the opening. But always going to be the case when the line-up is so stacked). Owing to other circumstances, we ended up walking from Destino to Ibiza Town, then waiting for the bus to Bossa. Eventually we we finally got to Hï and caught the final few tracks from Bäumel. Oh well!

- Agents of Time live were v.good. But the crowd were totally disengaged and seemed bored/confused. Also annoyed that their set clashed with Minologue's. Always seems to be the case.

- Mano Le Tough - who I love as a producer, I'm just not convinced he works well as a DJ in a club environment. Maybe in a beautiful outdoor setting at a festival. But not in a dark club. However, i will perservere and give him another try. Of course, cant discount the fact that the negative vibes I had towards the crowd played a part in my enjoyment.

- the walk, wait and subsequent bus journey had totally killed our buzz from Cocoon. But we had enough. Did not want to stay any longer - not even to see if TOU could turn things around. Didn't even venture into the club room at all. So early disco bus home feeling deflated and unfulfilled.

In summary, I acknowledge that we were not in the right frame of mind for this night. But the atmosphere was flat and didn't feel at all like an underground party. Can't see how this can be turned around. I think the move to Hï was a miscalculation.
Where do they go from here? I guess we will find out if the Afterlife camp is about the music? Or about the €€€?

Where do they go from here? I guess we will find out if the Afterlife camp is about the music? Or about the €€€?

I only have one experience of it this year, but seems they just haven’t been able to get a Non-Hï crowd there then! Considering how well they have built up their following, seems this was a bad move then. I don’t want to make the same old lazy observation... but...maybe there are just too many tech / techno nights at the moment?

This would go against everything Underground would want I assume.
Aye just thought be more extra revenue for them.

If it goes to the usual Amnesia, Pacha etc I just think its abit meh... I can see it working at Pacha, and Amnesia in the main room.

Wish I had caught TOU in the vista, not sure I’ll visit Afterlife at Hi. It’s a toss up between that and Abode when I’m over. Skream and Lawler v Afterlife at Hi.

If you want energy on the dancefloor and are into/can tolerate tech house - some good, some generic - go to ABODE/DNS. At least with Skream, you can guarantee to hear some good music.
If you want to hear good music but be surrounded by people standing still on their phones - go to Afterlife. A shame it has to be like that.

Back