A mag from ibiza 1969

it's easy to laugh at the hippies but I still relate to the initial idealism. they just wanted to be free and escape from the shitty world, Franco, Vietnam etc. the problem is always the nuts/bolts. the reality that follows, the cynicism that creeps in, drug chaos and sexual exploitation. It was probably always going to be a doomed mission to keep it a secret as Spain opened up to the world post-dictatorship. horses against tanks. It's hard to know looking back how IBZ could've done things differently. People adapt, 'sell out', whatever to survive. I get all that but part of me still wants to scream whenever I see that peace sign psychedelic Citroen CV parked outside the Ashram. Whose intelligence are they insulting?

I think my parents would have been like those described, they would have travelled through Europe from the late 60's early 70's. Although I don't think they went to Ibiza (actually Formentera) until the early 80's, I know family members who came early. I've spoken to them briefly, not surprisingly they didn't know San An where we went but the East/North East.

My parents did not have any cash and lived in a tent, travelled by old fishing boats that 'stunk of oil and desiel' or the 'Magic bus' I think it was called that left London.

It makes me laugh and smile when I hear snipers of them setting wire traps for rabbits, my mum preparing them on a fire near the tent. It's a million miles away from how we travel today. Even if I try.... 😁

I think my parents would have been like those described, they would have travelled through Europe from the late 60's early 70's. Although I don't think they went to Ibiza (actually Formentera) until the early 80's, I know family members who came early. I've spoken to them briefly, not surprisingly they didn't know San An where we went but the East/North East.

My parents did not have any cash and lived in a tent, travelled by old fishing boats that 'stunk of oil and desiel' or the 'Magic bus' I think it was called that left London.

It makes me laugh and smile when I hear snipers of them setting wire traps for rabbits, my mum preparing them on a fire near the tent. It's a million miles away from how we travel today. Even if I try.... 😁

get them to share them on here! would love to read those stories :)

Back