31st December - 3rd January (Winter in DC-10)...

ric

Hola!!!!!!! :)

It's that time again... Review time!!! Winter review to be precise... Actually, winter clubbing review to be totally honest. This was the first time I have been on the island for the highlight of the winter clubbing calendar... DC-10! Oh, and also Pacha, but all roads were leading to DC-10. Let's be honest here!! :D

31st December

The day started early... Very early!! My flight from Dublin was at 6:30am and I had to travel down to Dublin Airport from Belfast so I was actually leaving my apartment at the tiring hour of 3:00am. No sleep was the order of the day as I didn't want to miss that all important flight to paradise (well, to Barcelona first then to paradise) so I sat watching Me, Myself and Irene and then, as usual, nearly left it too late to get to the bus station. After ringing five taxi companies I finally got one which got me to the bus just in time!!! Phew!!

Bus to Dublin went smoothly and I arrived at around 5:20am so there was time for a quick beer before going to the gate. I was supposed to be meeting two others but I couldn't see them so I boarded the flight safely.

Sleeping is almost impossible on a flight for me as I'm too excited so I spent the time listening to the Pete Tong Essential Mix from Space Terrace, way back in 2001. Once it brightened up I was able to check out the amazing views!!!!

10896964_10153045089659432_212021402595930549_n.jpg

It wasn't long before we were landing in Barcelona.

It was nice and warm for this time of the year.

10906237_10153045089664432_5271120643532532114_n.jpg

Warmer than Belfast and Dublin anyway although that's not too difficult to achieve!!

I finally bumped into the other two who were outside the terminal. They had been at the front of the plane so I must have missed them. We sat drinking some vodkas and beers whilst waiting for another two of our party who were flying in from Hungary and Malaysia just for DC-10!!!! :eek:

We sat in Barcelona Airport for the next few hours hammering the vodkas and beers and wine and whisky and pretty much anything else we could find. I thankfully talked myself out of getting a bus into the city centre to meet another friend, over for Elrow on NYD. I wouldn't have made it back for the flight if I had.

As 2:00pm approached we made our way to the gate and I was surprised to see that the queue wasn't full of people clearly going for DC-10. It was a sea of regular holiday makers and Spanish who were returning to, or visiting the island.

The flight was extremely quick and as I was on the left side of the plane I was able to get a nice view of Majorca as we flew past it. But enough of Majorca, the main attraction was and always will be Ibiza!!!!!

TOUCHDOWN!!!! :D:D:D:D

Home again!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

The rest of the group were all staying in PDB somewhere so I grabbed a taxi and made my way across to San Antonio. I love that feeling you get when the taxi exits the motorway tunnel and you get to see San Antonio in the distance for the first time!! :)

On arrival I jumped out of the taxi and went for a walk around the harbour as it was nice and warm (around 18℃ I'd say).

10891937_10153045090319432_2177996566969220687_n.jpg

There was also a chance to carry out another one of my life's ambitions by seeing the Xmas tree in San Antonio...

10407939_10153045090429432_4867343446158670376_n.jpg

It didn't disappoint!! :)

I carried on with my walk as I ventured over to Cafe Del Mar for a wee chill-out in the silence of the afternoon. Only a few people passed me in the 45 minutes that I was sat there looking out to sea.

983842_10153045090914432_5772455246759671623_n.jpg

As the sun started to slowly fade away into the evening I made off for Hostel Marino, via Eroski, for some liquid supplies.

10891801_10153045091699432_9151140327367774668_n.jpg

Hostel Marino is the new port of call for winter trips as Tarba is now closed during the winter. The Marino bunch are a friendly lot (even after listening to my drunken ramblings - more on those later) and the place is exceptionally clean so I've only good words to say about the place.

The next few hours were spent chilling out, knocking back the beers, and listening to Coxy's amazing 4hr set from DC-10 in September. There was no answer from the others over in PDB so I grabbed a taxi and went over to Ibiza Town as the time approached midnight. I actually spent my NYE countdown in the taxi as it went past San Rafael, with a taxi driver who barely spoke English. Not ideal but who cares!!!! :lol:

On Vara De Rey, I had another opportunity to carry out a life's ambition, by checking out the Xmas tree here!!

10435481_10153045091794432_3290180293348614429_n.jpg

A bit blurry but still amazing!!!! :)

As it was still relatively early i decided to have a few beers OUTSIDE one of the bars. To everyone else, it was probably freezing but for me it was still nice and warmish...

At this point I realised that I'd left my Pacha ticket in San Antonio so I decided to walk round to Pacha to find out how much it would cost to get in. There were plenty of people in tuxedos etc on the way round. On arrival at Pacha I attempted to explain to the doorman that I had left my ticket in San Antonio but that I still had my reference number in the email from Spotlight and he took pity on me and let me in. Respect for that!! :)

Pacha was perfectly busy... Busy, but not over the top!! A great change from the Opening/Closing parties!!

1619362_10153045092374432_961665984134318622_n.jpg

The queue for the cloakroom looked like it would take until the start of next season to get to the front of so I just tied my jacket around my waist and met up with Stivi and Co (good to see you all again :)). I was, however, extremely drunk by this stage. I had been drinking since 5:50am in Dublin Airport but I powered on through somehow... After all, it was NYD now!!!! Feliz año nuevo!!!! They taught me that in Marino I think... Or maybe it was somewhere else... I can't remember... :lol:

It all got extremely hazy later on and I ended up back in Figueretas at some girls hotel room once Pacha had closed, which was just after 8:00am I think. :lol:

1st January

I grabbed a taxi from Figueretas just after 2:00pm. The sun was shining and it was DC-10 day!!!! I literally rolled into Marino, went up to my room, grabbed a towel, sunglasses, two bottles of beer, a bottle of coke, a bottle of vodka and staggered down to the beach to chill before DC-10!! It was great!!!!! :D

10888644_10153045093409432_2867839081348411905_n.jpg

There was literally no-one about!!!!

A mammoth chill-out session on the beach was just what was needed. The calm before the musical storm you might say...

A guy, originally from Chile, but now living in San Antonio strolled past with his two young kids. He stopped for a chat and a few beers but the time was ticking on so I said my cheerios and staggered, once again, back to Marino so I could get ready. At this point it started to get very messy!! The 3 minute walk from the beach back to Marino had taken it out of me. I was drunk and tired so there was only one thing for it... I decided to have a wee rest at the bar and order yet more drinks!! :lol:

The drinking was only broken by the run to my room to use the toilet and then back to my warm seat at the bar. Drink after drink turned into more drink and then pizza and chips. When attempting to pay for all this I discovered that I'd no wallet!!! In my drunken state I thought it had been stolen from somewhere and I think I remember asking for the police to be called, in order to dust the bar for fingerprints... :lol::lol:

The barman was asking me to pay for the drinks tab I'd ran up and also the pizza and chips which were in the middle of being cooked. I was panicking over having no money to get to the airport when I was leaving, but more importantly, having no money to get to DC-10 and order more drinks. I told him I'd sort something. No idea what it would be but I'd sort something anyway. I retired to my room to think. On opening the door, there was my wallet in all its glory. It was sitting on my bed!! :lol::spank::lol:

Last edited:
A celebration drink was in order!!!! The afro was on and there was no turning back!!!!

10923558_10153045094059432_408523580805658091_n.jpg

Completely embarrassed, I went back to the bar in my afro to explain that fingerprint dusting wouldn't be necessary and that I could pay for everything once again. Not wanting to make anymore of a scene I ordered a taxi, completely forgetting that the pizza and chips were about to be served. The taxi arrived and I had to leave the paid for pizza and chips sitting there... So by this stage, I'd still only managed to eat a packet of Ruffles since 30th December!!

The taxi driver was in a great mood. Maybe something to do with the drunken attempts at Spanish coming from the back seat all the way to DC-10. I arranged for him to pick me up on 3rd for the journey to the airport and before i knew it, we had arrived at the destination...

DC-10!!! NYD at DC-10 for Carl Cox!!! OH YES OH YES!!! :D:D:D:D

I think it was around 11:00pm or so when I got there. Kind of wished I was there for the afternoon on the terrace but I needed my chill-out time. Loads of people seemed shocked that I had only turned up in my Coxy Revolutions t-shirt and no jacket but I was so up for it, I wasn't even cold!!

Had a quick chat to an old guy in the garden who said he owned the old Manumission Hotel!??! :eek:

No idea if he did or didn't but it wasn't really important either way.

As the time approached, I made my way into the terrace and up to the front for the King!! In fact, I didn't step foot in the Main Room the entire night!! Or at least, not that I can remember!! :lol:

Carl Cox was amazing as always!!!!! Tune after tune of musical greatness!!!! He didn't get on the mic but that wasn't important as it was such an amazing party vibe up there at the front!! Bumped into one of the DJ's who I played alongside in Space, back in September, as part of the Ibiza Spotlight competition (Calum, if you're reading this, add me on Facebook as I can't remember your full name :)) and I finally got closure as to the mysterious disappearance of my headphones that night/morning. :lol::lol:

Taking a rest from the floor, I somehow ended up in the booth and then out in the VIP area out the back exchanging hairstyle tips with Nicole Moudaber.

10888394_10153045094519432_378151101763979634_n.jpg

I was having some seriously random conversations with Italians, French and English out there for a while before going back into the terrace to let Carl Cox have a go at sporting my afro...

10603583_10153045146204432_6031794441942931650_n.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The music was relentless!!!!!! The closing time of 5:00am had been and gone and he was still up there, firing out tune after tune of techno. My voice was all but gone by this stage! From memory, i think he finished at around 6:30am. I attempted to get a photo but he was out that back door in a matter of seconds and I couldn't get back through there again as the security guy was now wanting to see my wristband, which I never even had in the first place... :eek:

So I stumbled out into the morning queue for a taxi. There wasn't long to wait... 10 minutes or so.

What a night!!!!!!! Worth the trip and worth every penny!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:
2nd January

It was just after 7:00am when I burst into Marino singing "Olé", complete with soaking wet Revolutions t-shirt and afro. The owner and the fishermen at the bar seemed highly amused at the state of me!! :lol::lol:

More drinks!! :D

I finally called it a day at around 11:00am or so and retired to my room to sleep. Sleep was impossible so I just lay there listening to music whilst rolling around on the bed all day!! A bit of a waste for the last day as I had planned on getting a car or bike and venturing out but that was not a good idea...

There's really nothing else to say about the day apart from the fact that I couldn't sleep all day or night, meaning I had around 5hrs sleep since 29th December!!!!! :eek:

3rd January

I would like to say that I was up early for the taxi to the airport but as I hadn't slept, that wasn't the case. It was a slow struggle to pack everything. Part of me, most of me actually, wanted to go online, book a flight home for a few days later and stay for a while longer, but with a new job starting when I got back, I decided against it. The taxi to the airport was terrible as usual!! After grabbing my boarding pass I grabbed a sandwich (the only other food I'd eaten since 30th December, apart from the amazing Ruffles of course).

I was still a long way off getting home as I was flying to London first, then, after a 7hr gap in London, onwards to Belfast. The airport was half sealed off and practically empty so I plonked myself down at a window and looked out to Salinas, wishing I was there!! :(:(

It wasn't long before we were boarding the plane but I was having a serious case of the shakes!! Severe lack of sleep, food and still wrecked from DC-10 might have been the cause.. Who knows!! :rolleyes:

10405454_10153045160394432_5312476846600308182_n.jpg

Anyway, I somehow made it up the steps to the door of the plane, forced a smile for the air stewardess and entered the plane...

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I look down and who is sat in the first aisle seat, very front row????

None other than Carl Cox and his sound engineer!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I nearly fell back out the door in shock!!!! :lol:

He looks up, I look down... "Alright Carl, how's it going??"

I ask for a photo and he says he'll do one when we land in London. He notices that I'm still wearing my Revolutions t-shirt (which by now absolutely stinks and is still wet) and he thanks me for supporting the cause... :):)

So anyway, I take my place in the 2nd row from the back, still in amazement that Coxy is on the same plane!!!

There's a guy in the very back row behind me who looks suspiciously like Carl Craig as well although I'm not too sure and to be honest, I don't even care!! It was my first time on a British Airways flight, so when they brought out the free food and drink (more drink) it was a nice surprise...

10898153_10153045146409432_2230278040877640975_n.jpg

The sight of Carl Cox had temporarily snapped me out of my shaky slumber, for now at least...

When we arrived in London they let the first 6 rows off the plane first. From my window, I could see Coxy stroll across the runway with his Space record bag, but this time I was determined!!! I was off that plane ASAP and literally chased him down the corridor and into the security area. Finally, after months of trying (Coxy boat party in September, Coxy funk/soul party at Sands in September, Space Closing and DC-10 ON NYD), I got my photo!!!!!

10917430_10153035929864432_6797260325960192121_n.jpg

:D:D:D:D

My hand was shaking all over the show whilst trying to take it because of the state of me but I somehow kept it together. There was time for a quick chat... Very quick!! Thinking back now, there are so many things I wanted to ask him but my mind went blank so I said adios and made off for the train. His sound engineer was carrying a Traktor Kontrol S8 which Coxy had used in DC-10 so I guess that's what he's using now.

10429246_10153049505729432_523440944980343553_n.jpg

London was grim!!! It was pouring!!! I had to muster all my mental strength to get 3 trains from City Airport into Westminster. It was the only thing I could think of doing with the 7hrs until my next, and final flight. Walking about like a tourist!! But I was getting soaked!! So after standing in the rain outside Downing Street for 20 minutes, I just gave up and got the train (another one) to Gatwick.

One more beer and some cake (I was absolutely starving by this point and ready to eat my own arm) in Gatwick Airport was needed.

10358876_10153045158204432_229274329741946826_n.jpg

I think I fell asleep on the toilet for about an hour at one point. The flight back to Belfast was hideous!!!!

For some reason I can't sleep on planes, no matter how badly I need to!!!! Instead, as soon as I drift off, I immediately snap out of it with a bizarre body spasm. This was the case for the entire flight!! The woman next to me nearly got hit in the face with my arm a few times. I'm sure she thought I was a complete weirdo!!! :lol:

Arriving back in freezing Belfast was great... :(:(

I still had a bus and a taxi journey to go before I got home BUT it had all been worth it!!!!!!

Yet another legendary Ibiza trip!!!!!! Hopefully the next one this year is more of a long-term visit...

I'm praying already!!!!!!!!!

Total cost was around £650 for everything.

Photos

https://www.facebook.com/richarDJam...10153045088929432.1073741836.552609431&type=3

Hope you enjoy the review... I loved writing it!!!!! Gracias! :):)

Last edited:
Wicked review pal! Can't imagine how weird it would be to walk through san antonio and it be basically like a ghost town by the sounds of it.

Reactions: ric
Haha that was amazing, especially carl cox ending up on the same flight. Glad to hear someone else has those body spasms, happens to me on the bus home every evening :lol:

Love that review Ric. You've got some minerals pal, that was an intensive endurance event.

Shame about the Pizza & Chips!

Great review, i've always wanted to try and go to Ibiza for nye/nyd and this has really made me want to sort it out for the end of the year.

Cheers everyone!! I've wanted to come to the island for NYE/NYD for a few years now but work has always interfered!! :(

But as I was in between jobs, I had a green light to go!!!!! Amazing experience as always!!!!! :D:D:D:D

The things that happen to you when you're unchaperoned, I don't know .... :rolleyes: :p ... Sounds like a fun trip, but that journey home ... ouch !!!! I think you did the right thing not trying to drive around Ibiza in that state :D

Nice to read a NYE/NYD trip review ... 18 degrees C is nice enough - provided there's no wind blowing from the North !!!

epic effort sir. when i saw the rainy pic in london on no sleep i did feel for u. currently 1st place on forum for dedication over taking Fusion...

Ace review matey... You make me feel like I'm there when you write!
Was so jealous of you going over but glad it was such a blast.
What's the obsession with the Christmas trees?

Back