2008 season preview

stivi

Another long winter passed and with it, a lot of rumours, gossip and discussions – especially about the new laws regarding opening hours (check the part about the new laws at the end of this post). But…finally, here we are…it’s may, the openings are just a few weeks away and another great season is shapening up nicely. There are a few big news this year, so let’s see what IBIZA 2008 has in store for all of us:

Short Club News

Amnesia – fully renovated terrace (including new soundsystem) with space for 700 additional clubbers! Really eager to see this! Amnesia is also the first club opening at 11pm this season! And i just got confirmation Amnesia this year also has free Buses from Ibz Town / PdB and San An to the Club!

Privilege – new function one soundsystem (in both main floor and cocoloco) and much better soundproofing…really good news!

Space – they always have something new, don’t they? But honestly, I have no clue yet what will be their “new thang” this year…sure, they were really busy dealing with all the promoters due to the new situation (read on for that), so we’re all curious to see space 2008! EDIT - haven't seen anything new inside the club so far.

DC-10 – seems to be still open…should be enough good news, no?!!! but there is a bit more news, first the walls on the terrace are yellow again, as they were a few years ago and there is now a permanent bar in the outside garden (no music tho’, except maybe for the opening and closing). Really good stuff, like that you can have a drink and some fresh air at the same time!

Eden – has now two roof terraces!

Now let’s have a look at the clubbing week in Ibiza…

Monday

The week in Ibiza starts with a big bang. Monday night is one of the strongest of the whole week and provides a wide choice of big nights:

Let’s begin with the San Rafael Clubs

Amnesia – Cocoon
Sven väth and his mates are invading the disco this year. It’s cocoon’s ninth year in ibiza and it looks like it’ll be the biggest year ever so far! Be prepared for a crazy summer with cocoon, even though their infamous afterhours might disappear this year. The line-ups are as stellar as ever, with Sven Väth playing almost every Monday, Ritchie Hawtin playing various dates (including his own two M-nus label nights), then look out for the likes of Loco Dice, Luciano and Ricardo Villalobos and let’s not forget about amazing live acts such as Extrawelt and Guy Gerber! Surely the biggest night of the week in the techy-minimal sector.

Privilege – Tiesto’s In Search Of Sunrise
The biggest Club in the world starts its week with the biggest draw of the year. Tiesto is playing no less than 12 consecutive Monday nights (starting July 7), bringing his own visual production and guests! But surely the most important thing will be having him back playing his weekly 4hr set in Ibiza!!!

Then let’s have a look into Ibiza Town:

Pacha – Release Yourself with Roger Sanchez
The S-man is back for another summer in Ibiza. Expect him to play every Monday and expect him to play loooong sets as always…So…get released with Señor Sanchez!

El Divino – Mn2s
Well…it’s more than just MilkAndTwoSugars, they’re having a really tasty lineup with heroes like CJ Mackintosh, Derrick Carter and Joey Negro. Plus some fresher blood from Fedde Le Grand, Kurd Maverick and more..! But will they be able to get the club full with such a big competition on a Monday night? Let’s see!

Then there is some weird place near the airport called…

DC-10 – Circoloco
So DC-10 has / had 5 cases running? … what’s the consequence??? We surely will find out soon…
The crazy Monday morning session now only starts mid-afternoon, but I’m sure this won’t stop thousands of clubbers getting down properly there every Monday of the season…mind to kneel down at sunset…and then boom!!! Lineups promise good things…welcome back Luciano, Matthias Tanzmann, Tania Vulcano and so on…

Space – now also open on Mondays with "Monday's Calling"
line-up TBC...

Finally, San An’s clubs also start their week…

Eden – Koolwaters
Here you’ll be able to enjoy some breaks and house by the Stanton warriors, the plump dj’s and more!

Es Paradis – Pukka Up
A housey affair with the likes of Stonebride, Abigail Bailey, The freemasons and more…

Tuesday

After such a hard Monday, one could think things might get quieter the next night…but no-no, we’re in ibiza! On we go…

Space – Carl Cox (8pm – 6am nonstop)
The King of Clubs is back for another season. Space is always packed on a Tuesday night and Cox traditionally brings some of the best guest dj’s ever available…look out for Dubfire, Loco Dice, Josh Wink, John Digweed, Chris Liebing and the true legend that is Laurent Garnier (playing on August 5)

Amnesia – Armada / Contact
Well yes, there were rumours about Armin van Buuren not continuing his own night at Amnesia. But…how wrong these rumours were. AvB got voted World’s No 1 DJ and he’s back at Amnesia for the longest and biggest season Armada’s ever seen in Ibiza! Armin is playing all but 3 Tuesday nights this summer (including his solo night on August 12), Markus Schulz plays many nights as well and there are a lot of different guests coming.
Regarding the terrace and Contact…remember last year amnesia tried to put up a R’n’B night on the terrace on Tuesday nights? Oh how they failed (later, they did something with “what’s up”, which worked so-so.) But now, things are looking really good for a decent house night on the terrace with “Contact”, where Yosh*toshi and toolrom knights parties are held with the likes of sharam, mark knight, seb fontaine, tocadisco et al!

Privilege - TBC
Closed for now but there's rumours around there will be some Parties on Tuesdays in high season...

Pacha – Defected
No news here – defected is back for another soulful and deep season at pacha.

Eden – Advanced Vs. Tidy
Dave Pearce is still at Eden – now with a new night called Advanced Vs. Tidy. DP is here every Tuesday and with him, the tidy boys and guests like John O’ Callaghan, Agnelli & Nelson and more…

Es Paradis – Clubland
Ready for Scooter & Co? – here you go with some hard dance!

El Divino – Salvacion
Another party which is around for years already! Expect house and some electro at el div with David Herrero, Cesar del Rio, Jon Ulysses and more!

Wednesday

Do we have a chance for a quiet night here…well, maybe. But…errrm…no, there’s still too much choice!!!

Space – Home Of La Troya (midnight – 6am)
After already two years at their new home, the la troya crew really seems to feel like home at space now. Always a very colourful and fun night with the most upfront house stuff played by DJ Oliver and more…

Privilege – Meganite
The 5th year in a row, meganite is home at Privilege since ever. Mauro Picotto will play each and every Wednesday this summer and he brings guests like Adam Beyer, Marco Carola, Fergie and more, covering the whole techno-electro sector and more guests, giving either a more housey or then a minimal twist to it in the cocoloco room. Check it out!

Pacha – Subliminal Sessions
Wednesdays without Erick Morillo? Not an option in Ibiza. At least, not for Pacha. And expect to see some big name guests such as Steve Angello, Tom Novy and Axwell.

Amnesia – Espuma (foam party) and Made in Italy
The famous foam party in the main room, so don’t wear your most expensive clothes for this one (but get ready for some body contact instead).
On the terrace, the azzurri will do their thing. Since Manumission moved to Amnesia last summer, Made in Italy gave them the full Friday and changed to Wednesday and are now hosting the terrace with a biker-themed party this year! Sasha is playing there for example, as well as Behrouz, Nick Warren and many more!

El Divino – Yxaiio
A new night…with Peter Gelderblom, David Penn and more still TBC!

Eden – Garlands
The funniest night at Eden is back…get your fancy dresses out! This years’ theme is “Angels” and the funky room is worth a special mention with “hacienda classics” and guests like dave seaman and Kevin saunderson.

Es Paradis – Rizla introduces Rogue DJ’s
Mixing the latest electro stuff with Indie Rock…

DC10 - Slutfunk (nighttime only)
Still TBC!

Thursday

Hmmm maybe it would have been wise to have a quiet Wednesday night, because Thursday is, together with Monday, easily the biggest night of the week…the choice is amazing: strings at Amnesia, clings at Privi, Bang at Space and Glam at Pacha:

Amnesia – Cream
For many, the only place to go on a Thursday night is Amnesia. For more than a decade already, cream is there, bringing world class dj’s each and every Thursday. Expect trance music in the main room with Paul van Dyk, Ferry Corsten, Above & Beyond, Eddie Halliwell and more, while you get housey tuneage on the terrace with Dave Spoon, Chris Lake, Annie Mac. And mind the legendary Sasha returning to Amnesia with two dates in the main room and one on the terrace!

Privilege – Monza
Underground electronic music at its finest, monza seem to have found their safe haven at Privilege after trying almost every club in Ibiza. If you do like M.A.N.D.Y., DJ T, Steve Bug and their sound, then Privilege is the only place to be on a Thursday night!

Space – Danny Tenaglia’s “be yourself@space” (6pm – 6am nonstop)
Surely the biggest news for space this year, Danny T putting up a residency there! Hoorray for tribal, tech and the odd really old classic tune with Mr Tenaglia chanting on the mic! And Wally Lopez is also there every week – as well as many guests still to be confirmed!

Pacha – F*ck me I’m Famous!
Well F*ck me or F*ck me not (I’m not famous anyway), but Mr Frenchman David Guetta will play at Pacha every damn Thursday this summer. He brings guests like 2manydj’s, Sharam, Sebastian Ingrosso and more, while his wife Cathy will be busy with the VIP’s! Vive la France, vive le Glam!

El Divino - Kinky Malinky Vs. Kidology
KM is back after a 4 years break! This year, you get Paul Jackson, Tristan Ingram and more!

Eden – Twice As Nice
R’n’B! Yo! J plus Housexy, so there’s still some serious beats if you want!

Es Paradis – Fiesta del Agua
Get your diving mask ready for the water party! (but be aware the floor will only be flooded towards the morning!)

Friday

Not a big night in Ibiza? Well…okay, it may not be the strongest night, but still, let’s have a look…

Amnesia – Manumission
After last year’s divorce with Privilege, Manu is now at Amnesia, this summer occupying the whole club. Let’s see what funny surprises they have in store for everyone this season!

Pacha – Pure Pacha
Well, it’s still Pure Pacha, but not with Pete Tong anymore! Up to you to decide whether that’s for good or for worse, but this years lineups really look good with Sander Kleinenberg, the Swedish House mafia (aka Angello, Ingrosso and Axwell) and more guests like Trentemoller, Basement Jaxx and Mark Knight!

Space – GOA (6pm – 6am nonstop)
line up TBC!

Privilege – Supermartxe
Another decent house music night on a Friday, the supermartxe crew from Madrid has landed in Ibiza for their second season (last summer at heaven). Line-up TBC but surely includes Juanjo Martin who also often plays for Matinée.

Eden – Wonderland
Aaaah, here is where Pete Tong has put up his new tent. And he’s done good work regarding his weekly lineups…Groove Armada (every week), Timo Maas, Erick Prydz, Nic Fanciulli, James Zabiela…impressive I must say!

Es Paradis – DJ Sammy
DJ Sammy sticks to Es Paradis, but moves to Friday!

El Divino – Miss Moneypenny’s
Around for years and back again this summer of course!

DC10 - Pandemonium (from midnight)
Still to be confirmed, but i've heard Tania Vulcano and guests will be back this summer with an ever longer season than last year!

Saturday

The weekend’s here!

Space – Matinée (6pm – 6am nonstop)
The best daytime party of the island unfortunately had to change plans. Now matinée only starts really late in the afternoon, but on the other hand, you can party right on until sunrise Sunday morning! El sol sale igual para todos…

Amnesia – People from Ibiza
Underrated by a many, PFI is a really fun night at Amnesia with the most upfront house music of the summer. And as it’s mostly free (or at leas cheap) entry until 2am, it’s always a very busy one!

Privilege – La Comunidad presents Imagine
The Comunidad crew moves from Friday night Space to Saturday night Privilege, presenting their Ibiza underground movement Image with long-term resident Pepo Lanzoni and international guests like Raudive, Chymera (producer of Luciano’s favourite 2007 closing tune “Arabesque”), Jennifer Cardini and many more! I can imagine many coming to this one when the zoo project parties at gala night stop at midnight!

Pacha – DefMix
The old heroes of house keep taking care of pacha on Saturdays…no change here.
Frankie Nuckles, Hector Romero, Satoshi Tomiie and David Morales are back for another Series of Saturday nights at Pacha…

Eden – Mondo Loco
Mr Bosco brings many guests this summer, Marco Bailey, Jose de Divina and Dave Seaman, just to name a few!

Es Paradis – Fiesta del Agua
More water please! (girls must wear white btw. :lol: )

El Divino – Hed Kandi
Rumours were around about HK leaving El Divino and settling down in either San An’s Es Paradis or Playa d’en Bossa’s Space. But finally, HK stays at El Divino and will surely keep being the busiest night of the week in El Divino!

Gala Night – the Zoo Project
Gala Night in Benimussa, outside of San An, is known as an old zoo – but it never was one. But since last year, you can find animals there again…party animals…starting Saturday late afternoon and running until midnight, this is really a cool outside thing!

Sunday

…a chilled end of the week? No way!

Space – “We love…” (4:30pm – 6am nonstop)
It’s still 14hrs nonstop if you’re up for it so don’t complain! Expect a state of the art lineup including guests like miss kittin, tiefschwarz and jeff mills. Even more appearances from james zabiela and steve lawler. And many many more. Will there still be passouts? Soon we’ll find out!

Amnesia – Espuma (foam Party) and Juicy Music
Didn’t catch the foam party on Wednesday? Here’s your second chance…or else, head to the terrace for some juice provided by Robbie rivera and guests like Benny Benassi, Seb Fontaine and Stonebridge!

Privilege - Xtravaganza
Alex Gold is back at Privilege (last year at Space) - guests TBC!

Pacha – Pacha Classics and Flower Power
Go to Pacha on a Sunday night for some House classics and definitely go there for Flower Power on one of the following dates:
June 8, july 6, july 20, august 3, august 17, september 7
And for once, if you do go to FP, go early to pacha! The club’s packed by 2am!
You haven’t truly experienced Pacha if you haven’t been to Flower Power!

Eden – Judgement Sundays
San Antonio’s busiest night returns…but will it still be the busiest one at eden now that pete tong has its own night there as well? Ah we’ll see, but Judge Jules has made his homework and brings guests like Sander Van Doorn, Marco V, Marcel Woods and many more.

Es Paradis – The Sound of Bassline vs. Garage Classics
Bassline House and Garage…DJ’s to be confirmed.

El Divino – Louie Vega & Friends
As the name says!

The new laws regarding opening and closing times of clubs…

So, just to clear things up regarding the new laws, this is the new situation: clubs (discos and also smaller venues with a café-concierto license) are generally not allowed to be open between 6am and 4:30pm. The district of San Antonio has an exception, allowing places with a capacity of less than 500 people to open at 12noon.

A few exceptions are also made for the opening and closing party period. (Space opens at 12 noon for their opening party for example as well as DC10 for their opening fiesta). During the season, Space and DC10 (basically the only two big clubs really touched by the after-hour ban) can only open mid-afternoon instead of 8am. Let’s see how this works! Some promoters had to modify their plans, Matinée (at space on Saturdays) for example, instead of running from 8am till about 6pm, they now will start at 6pm and party through 6am Sunday morning!

Regarding the closing time (6am), this isn’t really new. Officially, all clubs had to close at 6am in the past, but mostly they just kept on playing until 7am or later (and much later during the closing party period), because either the police didn’t care or, if the police arrived, the clubs just paid the fine (the fines weren’t expensive back then). Now, things have also changed a bit regarding this: first, the government says the police will control the closing times more seriously during the season and second, fines are high now if clubs close late. In theory, the music has to stop at 6:00am. The smaller venues have half an hour to empty their premises while the big clubs have one hour to clear their venue. I personally expect the big clubs to stop the music at about 6:30am or latest at 6:45am. I’ve already seen exactly this situation happening quite a lot of times last summer and I’m convinced the clubs will stick to this during most of the season...for the closing party period, the clubs surely will try to find a way to stay open later. Really, concerning the closing time, I think there won’t be such a big difference compared to earlier years (and let’s see if the police can be bothered to go and control the closing times as often as they announce…)!

Let’s not argue about this subject anymore, we’ve had enough discussions about it…but if you insist on saying something about this, then don’t do it in this thread, but HERE.

We’re ready to go!!!

Now the anticipation for another season is really getting huge on the island and we can barely wait to hit the clubs again. Everyone is curious to see which nights will be big, which ones will be the secret hints and which ones will be the losers. And really, apart of the sad fact that we’ll miss a bit of early afternoon groove, I honestly think this summer’s clubbing menu is the best I’ve seen in years! And at the moment (TBC!!!), it still looks like Bora Bora will be able to open at the same time they did in the past years…so who said dancing in the sunshine is gone?

I will update the above daily overview some time mid-season, so you have an indicator on how each party is doing!

See you on the dancefloors…!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
very very good preview nostrum!
i would like to comment on two things:

1.the cocoon pre-party probably won't happen at least not in amnesia...
2.i'm glad you're confirming that the new terrace will now be bigger than the old one...it will be bigger than the main room too:!:

great preview mate, cant wait to go now, i'm unsure what party to do on the friday and saturday..all my other days have been scheduled.
As for the opening times..its better this way..i mean who wants to go to a club at 8am anyway, it puzzles me...'oh i'm big and hard if i go to afterhours'..get some rest and go fresh to the next party :)

That Tuesday night Space party....

In regards to the Tuesday night Space party with Cox mentioned above....Does anyone know when that will start?

Top preview, thanks very much... Will be all we need to choose the right places to go in 2008 !

In Ibiza week starting June 6th

Haven't been to Ibiza for a while but will be there from June 6th thru to June 13th. Anyone got any recommendations as to what opening nights or clubs one should attend?

Haven't been to Ibiza for a while but will be there from June 6th thru to June 13th. Anyone got any recommendations as to what opening nights or clubs one should attend?

i'd hit amnesia opening on june 7th for sure! and maybe a party at pacha if you're up for it? or meganite opening on june 11 if you like techy beats?

Updated sections in original post:

- Amnesia news
- Space News
- DC10 News
- Monday Space
- Tuesday Privilege
- Wednesday DC10

Last edited by a moderator:
Back