17 days in the White Isle: September 5th to 22nd, 2012

Evening Star

You know how almost every good story starts with “this one night we're out drinking…”? Our second trip to Ibiza resulted from such a night. In August we (my fiancé Steve and I) took my 3 kids to almost 4 week long road trip across Europe. So this one night we were not out but sitting in a house in Lido (near Venice) trying to regain sanity with all the help you can get from two bottles of wine and started talking about our last trip to Ibiza at the end of July. Somehow talking about our previous trip resulted in purchased one way tickets to Ibiza again for 5[SUP]th[/SUP] of September, set budget for the trip, and no return ticket.

Wednesday the 5[SUP]th[/SUP]

What can I say… travel took most of the day and this time getting there was in no way easier than the last time, when we came from Afghanistan, had to take 4 planes, and total transfer time from point A to point B was 26 hours. This time we had just two flights from Riga to Barcelona to Ibiza but it still was terrible. We were supposed to have at least two hour layover between flights and normally it would be completely enough. I didn't check the time when we arrived but when we finally got our luggage there was only an hour left. We had to switch terminals so when we arrive in terminal 2, we have maybe 20minutes left to check in. I hold an EU passport so I could check in right away but Steve's from the States so he had to get a stamp on his ticket. So we get in the line to get the damn stamp… and now we have 8 minutes left. As if that wasn't enough, the girl in the check in tells us that our luggage is overweight and we have to take something out. Now we know we paid for extra 5 kilos (which is exactly the amount) but at this point, we just had no time to argue. We took some stuff out and checked in at the last minute. All of this was followed by getting through security, arguing with people at the gate who said our carry on items are too big (but they fitted in their damn measuring thingy), and finally us wearing several layers of clothes that they forced us to take out just to get on the plane.
Even though we were pretty annoyed, we were happy just to finally sit in the plane, going where we are supposed to go.
After landing came the next surprise. Since we were going to be there for a much longer period of time, we decided to explore the island and so we rented a car. Theoretically they were supposed to have a pickup point in the airport but, just to make things more interesting, of course it's not there… We couldn't reach them to any of their phone numbers and no one in the airport new anything about them, so we had little choice, and we rented a car from Hertz and decided to deal with this later.
Last time when we were here we stayed at PDB but this time we chose to try out Sant An. Since we planned on spending most of the days (and nights) out, then it really didn't matter all that much where to stay. We had booked a room in Fleming - a 2* hotel that was recommended by other spot-lighters and we can definitely add our recommendation to those. Good location, breakfast included in the price (and actually a very good breakfast, especially after a night out), self-laundry service, and it is possible to park our car outside on the street next to the hotel. Walls are thin so it sometimes gets loud but it doesn't really matter – you don't really go to Ibiza to get a good night's rest. :)
After checking-in, unpacking and shower it is too late to do much else so we decided to check out one of the bars (Tulp cafe) in the area. We feel tired, not very “heroic”, and we have a crazy schedule for next days, so we decide to take it easy and go out for dinner, drinks, and stay out as late as we can to adjust to the island's rhythm. We were pleasantly surprised that food (and drinks) in the Tulp were very good and not too pricy. After a while we got up and went for a walk in the West end, had few drinks here and there, found a very nice place called Villa Mercedes where they were playing live music and I had the best strawberry daiquiris ever. So even though the travel was a hustle and more than frustrating, the island was already working her magic on us and around 2am we headed home happy and satisfied to store up some energy for the days to follow.

Thursday the 6[SUP]th[/SUP]

We woke up refreshed and excited, and after a very nice breakfast got in the car and went exploring the northern coast of the island to find a beach that wouldn't be crowded and would be good for snorkeling. At first we got a bit of the road (we decided not to use a map), got lost, and had a lot of fun driving down roads that are so narrow, there is barely space for one car but you still sometimes have to pass by the car that's driving towards you. After a while we spotted a place that looked like it could have access to a beach and we just pulled over and went to check the place out. We were pretty high up in the mountains so it was no surprise that we ended up standing on the top of the cliff, looking at the stunningly beautiful rocky beach down below. A guy, who had pulled over shortly before us, after we asked him, is it possible to get to the beach from here, responded: only if you can fly. Well… neither that nor the fact that I was wearing a short summer dress and surf shoes seemed like a good enough reason not to try. We started climbing down one side but after approximately half an hour hit a cliff too steep to get down without any equipment so we turned back. We found another way that led down but it also ended in the middle of nowhere. There was a slope that seemed to have formed in some rockslide but we decided not to risk climbing down there as it is always possible to get down but it didn't look like it will be as easy to get back up. The hillside was still very steep and rocks there were not stable.
So we admitted that the mountain has won this time and headed back to the car, while still being happy about the adventure itself. We both had several cuts and bruises but it was totally worth it and we would do that again if such an opportunity would come.
So – we get in the car and we are on our way further. We chose a random beach that we see on the road signs (Beniras) and although it was not as empty as we would like, it was also not too crowded and had beautiful cliffs to snorkel around. Further out in the bay is a big cliff that looks like a sitting man but there were too many bots around to get there safely. We get our gear and explore right coast of the bay. We actually swam out as far as the sitting man was but our common sense continuously repeated it is a stupid idea to try and cross the bay where boats are coming in and going out, so we sticked to the plan and stayed near cliffs. The waters of Ibiza are just perfect for snorkeling – it's warm (so you don't get cramps in your body after spending two hours in the water), crystal clear, and just beautiful. There are cliffs that form weird shapes and caves that are fun to get to, funny little and not so little fishes, and sometimes a naked guy that just happens to be swimming half a kilometer from the cost where you are innocently snorkeling… oh well… it is Ibiza after all.
We spend most of the day there, snorkeling and sunbathing. Closer to the evening, after realizing that we are hungry, we decide to head a bit more north and go to Portinax for dinner. From what we saw, the beaches there were beautiful and the place itself is peaceful and seemed nice. We had a nice dinner in one of the restaurants next to the road and after that we headed back to Sant An.
Hard to explain why but I was still incredibly tired. I blame the last 3 days before leaving Latvia when I didn't sleep for more than 4 hours per night, but whatever the reason, we get back to the hotel and I almost immediately passed out. I didn't hear Steve taking a shower, going out to see what's happening, or coming back so he decided that I need some rest and allowed me to sleep till the morning which I did… I woke up after 9am and couldn't believe that I passed out like that and slept for a bit more than 12 hours. Luckily nothing much had happened that night so I didn't miss anything but the restored energy reserves became in handy as it was the Fiesta del Agua night in Es Paradis.

Friday the 7[SUP]th[/SUP]

So as I said, I woke up slightly shocked but well rested and after breakfast we once again get in the car to search for other beaches we haven't been on yet. We went to Es Canar and the surrounding area but unfortunately currents had carried jellyfish to eastern coast that day so going snorkeling wasn't really an option (at least not on the east coast). After visiting several beaches we decided to go to the northern side of the island. Once again we drove “off the map” and found ourselves standing on top of the cliff looking to a magnificent bay down bellow. We didn't know if it will be possible to get down there so we decided to leave our snorkeling equipment in the car and just try to see if it's possible to get down. Half way down a rocky road that twines through a forest, and we realize it actually could be possible. However, we didn't felt like going back to the car to get everything and we decided to just take a swim if it will be possible to get down. The climb down took us approximately half an hour but we were rewarded with the sweet taste of victory after making it to a bay that was formed from huge rocks that were most likely parts of surrounding cliffs detached in rockslides. There were few locals there but they didn't mind us being there or going for a swim. The water once again was just perfect. It would've been an excellent place where to snorkel but we also enjoyed just swimming there. After a while we spotted something that looked a lot like jellyfish and since we didn't wanted to linger to prove it (we had few accidents with jellyfishes few weeks ago in Venice and we both now share a respectable paranoia from meeting them again), it was getting closer to evening, and we both were getting hungry, we got out of the water and headed back to the car. Now, if the walk down took us about half an hour and was quite tiring, then getting back up (especially after a swim) at some point seemed like mission impossible but after some 45 minutes we were back in the car, heading home. We were driving through a little village and stopped for dinner there. The food was phenomenally good… we also finished a bottle of Ibiza wine and all an all were perfectly happy about our day out. However, this is the night to go out so we got back home, got ready, mixed some rum and coke to go, and head out for a walk before going to Es Paradis for water party.
The walk was great – nice and warm evening, cold drink, and we got to find other places we had heard about before (Café Mambo, Café del Mar etc). We went back home to change shoes to something that we wouldn't mind getting ruined in the water and we are off to the club. None of us had ever been to Es Paradis before but since we are fans of Espuma party in Amnesia, we wanted to check out what it's like. The club was a bit odd but maybe because they are trying to replicate what their idea of “paradise” is, however, the crowd was cool and even though I didn't know the DJ's or songs that they played that night, I can't say anything bad about it. We still had few purple stars left from our previous trip so we purchased two bottles of water and started looking for a free spot. We found one… like in Amnesia they have the elevated platforms and we had fun dancing above the crowd. Unfortunately, when the stars hit in, Steve's legs gave up on him but mine… well sitting down really wasn't an option so we found a spot for him to sit down and I returned to the platform. Sometime later club's dancers came out and everyone was asked to clear the platforms for them so I got back down. There was a very nice 50(ish) years old lady that came to me and said “it is a shame they took you off the platform. You have such nice legs…”
Very soon the sprinkler system in the ceiling started working and that felt perfect as I always get incredibly hot, especially if I have used some unprescribed medicine. :) The pool in the middle of dance floor started filling up with water, some people started swimming there but overall, crowd was having fun.
I went to check how Steve was doing and since his legs still refused to cooperate, he just sent me back to the dance floor. It is difficult for a woman to dance alone in a club without being hit on and usually I always get a creepy guy who keeps following me but this time I was lucky enough to meet guys who were not at all creepy and happy to just dance with me. Nice people... polite.. shared a gum (I had forgotten mine home). The night was not at all blurry but it seemed to go incredibly fast. It was close to the morning and we decided to bail a bit earlier to get some well deserved rest.

Saturday, the 8[SUP]th[/SUP]

I cannot remember what time we woke up. I think it was way past noon but we felt good and decided to go to Eivissa town and spend our day there. The town is remarkably beautiful and we ended up going there several more times before we left the island. We accidentally made it to the Red Bull flying contest (I have no idea what the actual name is) where teams build their airplanes and compete against each other. We had some fun watching people crash-landing in the water but as the evening approached we went back to San An. The plan was to go to ElRow in Privilege but it was still early and we were tired from the last night so we laid down for a quick nap. I have no clue how we missed the alarm but I woke up around 2am because I felt too rested. Upsetting but we knew that we have three sleepless nights in the row coming up so common sense said it is good to store up some rest. So we did and I fell asleep with a thought in my head that I am in a definite need for some sleepless nights after this one.

(this review will take a while to finish. I started writing this while I was still in Ibiza but I gave up after day 7.. Espuma, ASOT and Neon nights coming up next :))

Sunday, the 9th

Espuma Party!!! Yes! After our first trip to Ibiza, Espuma party has become of one of our favorite events on the island. So it's understandable that we wake up very excited about upcoming event tonight, have a quick breakfast and we set out to explore the island a little bit more.
Now to be fair, my memory is a bit hazy (probably because of events that followed on next three days...) but that's the beauty about these reviews - it is what you remember and how you remember it... even if it is fuzzy and sometimes -half true. :)

We already had visited northern and eastern side of the island so now we headed south. We drove around for a while and then decided that it would be interesting to try to find a beach that goes near the airport as every time when we fly in/out it looks just stunningly beautiful from above. After half an hour we were rewarded; we found this beautiful beach that was most likely half man-made. The coast line was at least 6 meters wide, two meters high, and completely made from white pebbles, clear blue water and there were only few locals around. The tide had shifted pebbles over time and they formed two levels from which the lowest one was all covered in seaweed, and therefore very soft and comfortable to lay on. The water was perfectly warm and felt soft as a silk. Lots of nude sunbathing and swimming and around 5 or 6pm we took off perfectly satisfied with our day so far. Knowing that we still have 12 more days to cover, we were happy that we have been taking it easy for now as we were excited about night to come.

The following part is a bit hazy but I know we went to PDB to get sorted out and purchased some green "smiley's", then headed home, showered, and went to Tulp Cafe for some Hawaiian pizza and drinks. We were planning on taking a Disco bus but we missed it somehow, so we ended up taking a cab. One way or another but we got to Amnesia, purchased tickets at the door, and the night could begin. Now Steve's a real gentleman and since it is a well known fact that "you never know what you're gonna get" he offered to try out our new purchase first before giving it to me. We still had one or two of the purple stars left so if all the sudden green smiley's wouldn't turn out to be good, we still had some back-up. We were lucky and green smiley's were doing their job better than the stars, so I took one as well.

We were dancing in the main room and after a while we went to the Terrace and got up on one of the elevated platforms that usually are totally packed in the peak season but now was empty. As usual there were house DJ's playing "summer hits" but in a way it created the feeling of "prolonged summer" and that alone felt great. The lights started getting very interesting and we both agreed that green smiley's are definitely better than the purple stars - less unnecessary energy that just burns you out and you feel like crap the next day and insanely good and happy feeling. Even though the club was not nearly as packed as it was in the peak season, it was still insanely hot there and I remembered how great it was Friday night in Fiesta del Agua where everyone was wet and it was so cool, and so I get this brilliant idea - I will just go to the bathroom and wet my hair... yeah... so I go to the bathroom, wet my hair, take it together with my hair band and to be honest it feels better than I imagined but here's the tricky part - the water is still dripping from my hair and slowly making my clothes wet and transparent... The "night me", of course, pays no attention to the fact and as my hair dries out I make another trip to the bathroom to wet them again and my clothes get more transparent and so on. Now the night itself is a bit of a blur but I do remember at some point going to the bathroom and after I come out, I see one of security guys leaving the bar and walking my way... now, I know I am acting and feeling completely normal but still the first thing that pops in my mind is "sh**...now what?". I decide to pretend as innocent as I feel, so I put on the loveliest smile from my smile collection and start walking back to where I left Steve. The security guy stops me and says "Hi! Mind if I say you look insanely hot!"... Now how do you react in such case? One thing is if it is any other guy in the club but what do you say to the security guy? I think I thanked him for the compliment and we had a very odd conversation that lasted indefinite period of time where I turned down several proposals to take me out later that week. Somehow I managed to get away (the fact that I told him that I'm here with my fiancé didn't seem to leave any kind of impression) and headed straight back to Steve to tell him about my adventures. I'm used to getting creepy guys that follow me around but having a security guy hit on me was something new.

We decided to move back to the main room as it was close to the time when they start the foam cannons. So it was and it was as great as I remembered it from our first trip. Everyone's happy, "foamed", and just having a great time. At the end they rinsed everyone off and we left to catch a bus that took as back to Sant An. We still had lots of energy left in us and we took a slow walk near the beach back to our hotel. Our plan to take a swim in the pool failed as they opened the area only at 9am and it was just 8am so I think we ended up going to bed as tonight was ASOT that is also on our "never to miss" list.

... to be continued...

:eek: :twisted:

… like in Amnesia they have the elevated platforms and we had fun dancing above the crowd. Unfortunatel... Sometime later club's dancers came out and everyone was asked to clear the platforms for them
so I got back down.
There was a very nice 50(ish) years old lady that came to me and said
“it is a shame they took you off the platform. You have such nice legs…” ...

... it was still insanely hot there and I remembered how great it was Friday night
in Fiesta del Agua where everyone was wet and it was so cool, and so I get this brilliant idea -
I will just go to the bathroom and wet my hair... yeah... so I go to the bathroom, wet my hair,
take it together with my hair band and to be honest it feels better than I imagined
but here's the tricky part - the water is still dripping from my hair
and slowly making my clothes wet and transparent...

The "night me", of course, pays no attention to the fact and as my hair dries out
I make another trip to the bathroom to wet them again and my clothes get more transparent and so on
... I do remember at some point going to the bathroom and after I come out,
I see one of security guys leaving the bar and walking my way...
... The security guy stops me and says "Hi! Mind if I say you look insanely hot! "...
Now how do you react in such case?
... I'm used to getting creepy guys that follow me around but having a security guy
hit on me was something new...

what about some piccies ? :) :idea: :twisted: ?

Monday, the 10th

We set our alarms for 2pm because we were going to Driftwood and ASOT afterwards. The unfortunate thing was that even though I managed to fall asleep around 9am, two hours later I woke back up. I just couldn't sleep no more no matter how hard I tried so I gave up on that and took out my computer and started writing this review (that's why first few days are so well detailed :)) I had hoped that writing will make me sleepy but unfortunately it didn't so when our alarm went off, I just put down my computer and started getting ready for going out. We didn't feel hungry but we are smart enough to know that it is just a side effect from the "unprescribed medicine" we (may:)) have been using and we have a long day ahead of us so eating is essential. I can't say that I'm feeling great... I mean, I've had only two hours of sleep and last night was pretty long and tiring but after a quick meal in KFC we both feel much better and we head to Itica where everyone is gathering before going to Driftwood. Cold beer hit the spot and we had a great relaxing time lying there on a couch, watching the crowd and talking how great it is that in few days there should be other spotlighters that we were about to meet.

Around 4pm everyone head out to the pier and in an hour we were on the boat, drinking sangria while waiting for departure. The upper deck was packed and it was insanely hot there but once the boat started moving, a nice breeze cooled us down and I started feeling better every moment. We finished our drinks, danced for a while and then went down to the bar. I felt like sticking with beer but Steve switched to rum/coke... the guys poring the drinks didn't pay much attention of how much there was rum and how much there was coke so he ended up drinking almost pure rum with a splash of coke. Not that we complain... just a fact that the inebriation level of those on the board was rising immensely. The waves were swinging the boat and we had lots of fun dancing especially when the booze started hitting in.

We got back after 8pm and once again our common sense said that it is a wise idea to eat, so we went to Tulp Cafe for usual meal - Hawaii pizza and Daiquiri. Then our common sense said it would be a good idea to take a short nap as the night was still young, was going to be long, and I hadn't had much sleep...

Somehow we missed the alarm and I woke up at 1am with the terrible feeling that I've been sleeping for too long. We got up, got ready and caught a cab to take us to the Privilege and around 1:30am we were in. Unfortunately we had missed almost all of the first act but even the last minutes of it provided a great introduction of what was about to come. We purchased few bottles of water, popped in a green smiley, and we moved closer to the stage. If I'm not mistaking now the second act was Cosmic Gate, followed by Armin himself. This was my second time in ASOT and I started paying attention to details, mostly how the show was built. I am still impressed as Armin sure knows how to put an act together. An introduction that gets everyone on the wave regardless on when they came in, then slowly adding more energy and excitement to the show. Basically every act prepares you to the following one and you never feel tired or bored. I remember Armin playing W&W Moscow and Zedd Spectrum and everyone in the club just went wild.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kAAd9hKgLk
Of course it wouldn't be me if I didn't had my normal club adventures. So the "night me" once again got hot and went to the bathroom to wet her hair... in my defense I can say, that my shirt didn't get transparent this time, the color just got brighter. But still - I'm walking upstairs (that bathroom is less crowded than the rest of them) and suddenly a security guy stops me...... now what are the odds.... He starts a conversation about how long I am going to be here, am I alone etc. After a while I manage to get away and get back to Steve to tell him that apparently I am starting to attract club security guys. We have a few laughs about it and we move back to the dance floor near the stage. We dance and let ourselves go wild together with the crowd... it felt great... as the effects of the first green smiley's started wearing out, we decided to go upstairs to the outside resting area and take another one. As we are climbing up the stairs I get stopped by the same security guy who hands me a bottle of water saying "you forgot it here. It's yours!".......

/Ibiza rule No.1 - never let a stranger drink from glass and definitely don't take drinks from strangers when you don't see how they get mixed or where they come from, if you don't want to get "roofied"./

But yes - there I stand and at first I didn't catch what the guy said and so he repeats that it was my drink and I forgot it there. Steve has stopped and is standing next to me watching this all with "this is the best joke ever" expression on his face, I think I had "is this really happening?" expression and the crowd that was gathering around us because we were blocking the way had "WTF is going on here!" expression all over them. The situation grew weirder as I started telling it is not mine and he continued to ask if I'm sure and the crowd grew a bit anxious so I just started walking upstairs repeating that he must be mistaking... we got to the roof and after a short period of silence between us we looked at each other and just burst out in laughter. The fact that it happened and how it happened was a story you know is too good to be true but still it happened and we both were there. When we finally calmed down, we each took another smiley and went back to the dance floor. Armin was closing his set and the final part of the night begun. It was awesome and when the show was over we didn't feel like going home at all. We were full of energy (I guess we took the last one a bit too late but at that point it didn't really matter) so after catching a bus to Sant An and getting to our hotel in what seems only few minutes, we realize that it will be impossible for us to fall asleep because as soon as we stop walking, our muscles just start shivering... what do you do when stuff like that happens? Right - you just keep walking. We went up south to the second roundabout, took a right there in a direction to one of the beaches, and after walking for what turned out to be an hour found a tiny local cafeteria. We had a croissant a tea and after half an hour we left to take another hour long trip back to the hotel. Few days later we drove there by car and I couldn't believe that we actually walked that far. I think we got back to the hotel around 10am and after exercising for a while in our room, we finally fell asleep till some time next day...

...to be continued...

Tuesday, the 11th

We woke up around sunset time... at least that's what I recall. The "morning" is hazy and I don't remember lot of things but I do remember Subway and then walking around searching for neon body paint. Tonight we had a plan to go to closing of Dynamic Neon Nights in Sankeys; none of us had ever been there but Steve had heard very good references about the night and that it is one of this year's top new events.

We figured we'll take a bus to PDB and have a few drinks there before going to Sankeys. We went to the bus station and sat down... after last two days just sitting on a wooden bench seemed so pleasant like nothing else. A little while later we heard few people approaching. I'm saying heard because you could hear them long before you actually see them.

So we turn and see these two girls and two guys approaching us, all of them fairly inebriated, painted as animals. It was odd because Zoo project was on a different day but there is a guy with a "tiger skin" and a "butterfly" girl... At first they talked to each other and we just had fun watching them but then they turned around and decided to involve us in their conversations. The guy started out with: "tell me, does this make me look gay?" while pointing on the other cheek that didn't have a paint on it. "Nooo... we don't think so" is our answer while trying not to laugh. Then a very odd conversation starts where the guy is trying to convince us that Steve should be careful because the "butterfly girl" is a lesbian and I'm definitely her type. The "butterfly girl" tried to deny such accusations as she sat down next to me and put her hand on my knee...... They asked where are we from and we confused them quite a bit because Steve's American, I'm Latvian but we live in Afghanistan where we actually met. The girl was looking at us with glassy eyes and after a moment said "Can you believe that! They live in Afghanistan!". So now the conversation was switching back and forth between how we met, if she really is or is not a lesbian, that they all met just few days ago and both girls can't seem to get rid of both guys, that we are a cool couple, and that they are going to Space tonight. It was a quite entertaining half an hour while waiting for the bus and when it arrived we said good bye and left them discussing "did she said he's fat".

We arrived to PDB and ended up in one of the bars near Jet apartments. I really wasn't feeling all that great. Not even the lack of sleep but my stomach was aching and nothing seemed to help that. Still we sat down for few margaritas hoping that a bit of a salt and lemon :) might do me some good. We still had a plan to go to Sankeys but I just didn't feel like it.
This was one of those times when I knew that I could tell Steve that I don't feel well and I want to go home but he was so excited about the night and there was no other Tuesday when we could make it, so I decided to suck it up and just go with it. Salt and lemon seemed to be working and I felt better, so we got up and after 10 or 15 minutes entered Sankeys.

From the first moment when we got it, the place completely took over us... the darkness and neon lights, music and the crowd... it was just amazing. We purchased two bottles of water, made a note to ourselves that we need to purchase some more green smiley's as our stock is running low, and went to explore the place. Unfortunately, I can't tell you who was playing in the other room (to the right from the entrance) but the music was great. We had lots of fun dancing there but after a while we moved back to the main room to check out Solomun.
He was AMAZING. I love house music and he played deep house, very sensual, very groovy.. His booth was basically the same level as the dance floor so it felt more like we are at his house party in his living room rather than in club. Someone would hand him a freakishly large sunglasses and he would put them on, and after a while someone else took out a neon paint and he got a hand print on his face. He basically moved the crowd as he wanted: at some point he just lifted his hands and started moving them slowly from right to left while playing Noir and Haze remix Around:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1-BvzBmzv8
and everyone in the club did the same making hands looking like some strange seaweed. I don't remember ever seeing so many relaxed and happy people in the same room at the same time. I saw two girls dancing with 4 or 5 guys and they looked very happy, although someone could explain them they all were gay, but it didn't really matter. It was a magic moment and everyone there just went with it.
One of my favorite parts of the night was when he just started playing simple beat and slowly sitting down behind his desk while waving his hand to the crowd to do the same, and everyone in the room slowly sat down. It was unbelievable but everyone was just going with the groove and the rhythm that was getting more and more intense and then everyone jumped up and started dancing at the moment when he started playing David Bowie Let's dance. Simply perfect... if this was his house party, he was an excellent host.

We never noticed how the morning came but suddenly it was 7am. We got out and went to the bus to get back to Sant An and I felt happy that I decided to go regardless of how bad I felt. I felt great the whole night through, I felt great even now, and this was without a doubt one of the best nights we had on the island. Next year we are planning our trip so we would catch as many of ASOT and Dynamic neon nights as possible.
A slow walk home along the beach, sunrise talks and we found ourselves back in our hotel room, happy and satisfied.

... to be continued...

Loving reading about your adventures so far hun. Makes it more interesting when you know the person telling the story haha. We were both on the same Driftwood and at the same ASOT but I didn't meet you til after then did I? My memory is that hazy I can't remember which night it was??? x

I'm glad you're enjoying this. Steve and I always have fun and we had lots of fun hanging out on our own but when we finally met on with you all, it just made the trip! :)

I don't remember seeing you on the Driftwood or after at ASOT but I was a bit.... hazy.... :) We met on Thursday. At first we met with BOS and ASDF and then we all met up in Murphy's. I'm still trying to recall Wednesday... :D I think I need to have a drink to access that part of my memory...

I'm glad you're enjoying this. Steve and I always have fun and we had lots of fun hanging out on our own but when we finally met on with you all, it just made the trip! :)

I don't remember seeing you on the Driftwood or after at ASOT but I was a bit.... hazy.... :) We met on Thursday. At first we met with BOS and ASDF and then we all met up in Murphy's. I'm still trying to recall Wednesday... :D I think I need to have a drink to access that part of my memory...

Oh yes I totally remember now. I even know where we were sat. Thanks for jogging my memory haha x

Oh yes I totally remember now. I even know where we were sat. Thanks for jogging my memory haha x

:D You are more than welcome.. I've been.... having fun... for past few days and it still doesn't trigger my memory.. I think I'm gonna go with "God only knows what happened on Wednesday" at this point :)

Wednesday, the 12th

Wednesday... Like I said - God only knows what happened on Wednesday...
Comment from Steve: "God was probably covering his eyes..."
Me: "Well... after our last three days there, he may have had a reason..."

I have been trying to stimulate my memory in various ways and thanks to excessive drinking for few nights in a row, ASOT episodes on youtube.com, and pictures in our phones, I believe this is what happened.

We woke up around sunset... that alone is self explanatory. However, sitting in the room for the rest of the night was not our intention, so we headed out to find something to eat and at least have a few drinks here and there. I have no idea where we ended up having dinner but after that we decided to check out Villa Mercedes again. We really liked the place first time we went there and this was supposed to be a very laid back, easy night to recoup from our previous adventures.
We got there, sat down and ordered our drinks. There was a live band performing and I had a great opportunity to watch a Spanish dancer performing an act. I have been dancing since I was three years old and for me watching professional performance is always a pleasure especially if the act is carried out perfectly in the smallest details. At first we had thought we will stay there only for a drink or two but we ended up staying even a while after the performance was over.
The evening was just what we had hoped for - very chill, quiet, and yet fun and entertaining, and around 2am we finally headed home as tomorrow we knew was the day to explore the island a bit more.

Thursday, the 13th

We wake up sorta fresh, grabbed Subway for breakfast to go, and we headed out to explore south-west part of the island. I was feeling a bit down but I knew it is just my body's reaction to chemicals. I normally am a very happy person and my serotonin levels are high enough so, even after burning them down with some help of unprescribed medicine, they were building back up pretty fast. Still, I could feel the effect and I hoped that a day out in the sunlight will help us recoup.

We ended up finding Cala d'Hort. It was exactly what we needed - a more or less quiet beach, beautiful cliffs around the cost line, and few rocks out in the bay. We got out our gear and decided that we will try to reach one of the cliffs out in the sea that was on the left from us... what we didn't know it was Isla de Es Vedra... yeah, you don't want to be swimming that far. I felt incredibly tired and I almost fell asleep while swimming, and more than that I was terribly cold. We got out of the water and I lied down on my towel where I immediately passed out. I have no idea for how long we slept (well, at least I) but after I woke up, Steve had this idea to go in water again. I was still feeling a bit chilly even though there was no reason for that and getting in the water again didn't sound like a good idea at the time. I knew that part of it is just my dissatisfaction with the world today so I allowed him to talk me into putting my gear on again and going back in the water.

What I can tell you - this was the best idea of the day. The water had warmed up and I didn't feel cold, which alone was worth something. This time we decided to swim out next to the right coast and reach the end of the bay. I had several things that I wanted to do in this trip and one of them was to swim out in the sea to reach one of the rocks there. We got out of the bay and I had been looking at this cliff a bit further out and we decided to get there - as soon as we got there, it felt like someone had just given me a shot of serotonin. The satisfaction and joy that I felt after completing something I really wanted to do was just astonishing and we spent the next hour just swimming around there. We saw some huge fishes and had fun trying to follow them around, Steve found a starfish and that hour felt physically recharging and mentally reviving. We wanted to have a nice dinner here and there is a restaurant right at the beach but we spotted another one up on the cliff where we swimming around. The only problem was - how to get there... there was no access from the beach and while there was a ladder that lead down to where we were swimming, there was no way how to get up there - it was too high.
So we decided - we will get to the shore and find the way to that restaurant (and there were cars there, so it was possible to drive there). We figured the most likely way how to get there and true enough - after few minutes of driving we found it. The restaurant is called Es Boldado and this is a place we will return to - the food was amazingly good, the atmosphere was great, and it was definitely a good price-performance.

I felt vivid again and I cannot come close to describe the difference between how I felt in the morning and how I felt sitting up there, watching the water, laughing about Russians at the table next to us because they thought no one here understands what they are saying, and getting more and more excited about night to come.
After dinner we got home, got ready and went to Tulp Cafe. Tonight we were going to Space for closing of Enter but before that we finally had planned to meet with few other spotlighters. First to show up was BOS and ASDF - we met them in Tulp where they joined us for few drinks. That started an epic trail of events that followed for next 9 days and resulted in the best trip of my life so far (next years are still to come:))

After few drinks we drove to PDB - we had hoped to get sorted out but no luck... so we went to Murphy's where we met with few other - Scottish-Helen, Rebbeca G, Nathan and other crowd. What can I say - I love you guys and we had a blast hanging out with you for the rest of our time there.
After having fun conversations with everyone around the table drinking terrible rum and coke, they set out to Amnesia for Cream and Steve and I went to Space. I won't spend much time describing the event but in a word - total disappointment. I remember dancing at some point and the beat didn't change for 10 minutes... we just got bored. We had few drinks and explored the rest of the club but then we realized this is not getting any better, so we decided to just head home.
Steve was hungry so we went to the nearby hotdog booth and had a quick bite to eat. By the time we got back to the car, I was stone cold sober so I volunteered to drive us back. Half an hour and we were back in our hotel room, blissfully passed out under covers...

... to be continued...

Friday, the 14th

I don't have clear memories about the morning but I remember driving around the area where is DC 10 around lunch time. I think we were trying to find the beach near airport again but somehow we got lost. We were hungry and so we spotted this one tiny Spanish cafe with great food and "Spanish service" and decided to have lunch there.
Lunch was great and even with the "Spanish service" I liked the place. We were having a good time and I didn't notice it at first but I was getting more and more spaced out. I noticed it only after Steve started looking at me all weird and worried, and when I tried to get up I almost fainted. We thought I had spent too much time in the sun (happens) and he sent me back to the car while he stayed there to get the bill. I remember getting to the car, turning the AC on and then passing out for what turned out to be 40 minutes (yep, that's how long it took for him to get the bill). I sorta remember him coming to the car and talking to me, drive home where I continued to pass out, and a fogy walk to our hotel room. He left me to sleep there and got back with a box of ice cream. I remember eating the ice cream and passing out again.

When I finally woke up it was close to sunset. I felt much better but still very weak so we decided that a nice sunset dinner would be in order. We set out to find Kumaras - we tried to find the place on our first trip and failed but this time we were successful and right around sunset time we found ourselves drinking cocktails and enjoying the view. I liked the place and we stayed there for dinner as well. Dinner was great (I can recommend the wok dish) and the service was pleasant. Unfortunately, I was still feeling half ill so after the dinner we decided that we could use some decent sleep as we still had 8 days left, so we called BOS to tell him that we are staying in tonight and set home.

Saturday, the 15th

Morning is once again hazy and half gone but shortly after noon we received a call from BOS who asked what we were doing. It turned out there is a Hippy Market (I think it was in San Carlos) and apparently they had interesting things and delicious cocktails there. We had planned to have dinner in Eivissa town tonight but we figured that a nice drive to the Hippy Market would go with that. Finding it was a bit challenging but luckily BOS is a very patient man and a wonderful friend and he took his time explaining how to get there. And they were right - the things there were interesting and cocktails were absolutely delicious.
After walking around for a while we called BOS and others again and found out they are now in Portinax, waiting for the sunset and so we agreed that we will meet them there and have dinned in Eivissa town later together with them.

Now, we have been driving around the island for more than a week now, we have our map and... we somehow managed to make a wrong turn. It was almost like driving from BDB to Eivissa town through San An... However, wrong turns may lead right ways. We were driving on this tiny dirt road and saw a sign for a beach. Now, this is in the middle of nowhere and we thought to ourselves that tomorrow we are going to explore this one because it might be just what we are looking for.
Finally after driving forever, we arrive in Portinax and join Rebecca, BOS and ASDF. We had our fun explaining how we got there, watching shooting stars, and talking about the festivities to come. Rebecca was planning to go to Formentera the next day and it seemed like a good idea to join her.

Around 11pm we figured it is time for dinner. It took a while to get to Eivissa town and find a place and you would be surprised how full it was almost in the middle of the night and finding a place for group of 5 people was challenging. We settled down in a restaurant La Oliva and after a short while Helen and Nathan joined us as well. Lots of sangria, wine, delicious food and laughing to tears... that's how I will always remember that night. Sometime later we decided that the night is still young and we could go to BDP and see what's happening there. We also needed to get sorted for the next days and since our guy was out of supply, we went to another one, recommended by a friend of course. :) The night continued in drinking... something... in a bar in PDB, I do remember playing pool (BOS, help me out here, I think it was that night, right?) and we got sorted out - this time gray x-factors. I think this is one of the nights when we stayed out till the morning light without going to a club. We had a phenomenally good time - the fun you can have in a group of people is just a different kind of fun and in our case, we were in a group of people who know how to have fun! :)

Home.. bed... this part is missing again but I don't blame the alcohol as I managed to drink myself sober that night. I remember setting my alarm so we could catch the boat to Formentera together with Rebecca and drifting away in my weird dreamland. :)

Sunday, the 16th

We had slept for maybe few hours when the alarm went off. It didn't seem like a good idea to wake up but we really wanted to have some beach time so we forced ourselves to get out of the bed and get going. When we got to the pier it turned out that the boat has left a short while ago.
Oh well... we walked around to see if there is a different one but there was not and so we decided to have breakfast in Subway and go back home to take a nap because we both were still dog tired.
After waking up the second time few hours later we decided to go to the beach that we saw the sign for yesterday. We had only approximate idea where it was on the map so how to find such a place? Right - you go back where you started and get lost again! :) The plan worked perfectly well and we found the beach in no time. We parked the car and we were surprised how many cars were there (considering the location) but we still wanted to explore it, so we took our gear from the car and headed down a very steep road. The moment when we saw the beach we both stopped and just stared at it and my first thought was - so that's where they shoot the Bounty commercials... it is real after all.

It was the most beautiful place I've seen in my life - white sands, sky blue unbelievably clear water and oddly but beautifully shaped cliffs. All together it seemed like mother nature had a good day when she made this place.
We left our things on the shore and went for a swim... it was the next surprise - we swam out as far as we could and we could still see the bottom clearly while not being able to touch it even diving. The water was unbelievably soft and warm and the place had some sort of "happy" feeling about it. We were playing in the water, laughing and chasing waves, and then there was this feeling of insane happiness and joy.

Unfortunately, even the paradise has its flaws... jellyfish...

We got out and put our snorkeling gear on and we had a great half an hour swimming close to the shore. We wanted to get a little bit more out to one of the cliffs and after swimming for a while I spotted a jellyfish a little bit further ahead. Can't say I panicked but I saw Steve who was swimming past me as I stopped and I knew he doesn't see it. We both have a very bad experience with jellyfish so I needed to stop him and luckily I managed to catch his arm the very last moment. We started swimming back to the shore and while Steve didn't want to try a different cliff I really wanted to. We chose a cliff closer to the shore and I was swimming ahead looking around for unpleasant surprises and it all seemed ok. I increased my speed and after swimming for few minutes I spotted something with a corner of my eye and stopped immediately - there was a jellyfish less than 20cm from my forehead. It was ~10 large, brown and I saw several other up ahead and Steve is approaching them and me. This all happened within few seconds and he noticed my sudden stop and panicky swim backwards and that was enough... We got out of the water and I was shaking as it is nothing pleasant to suddenly see a jellyfish so close to your face but there is nothing a glass of martini can't cure. We spent another half hour lying on the beach, drinking and calming down, cursing jellyfishes, and making up a plan for the night. The plan looked like this - dinner and sunset at Portinax, heading home and Espuma party (closing) tonight! We left hoping to return again either during this trip or the next as this place even with unpleasant presence of jellyfish will always be a paradise to us.

Dinner was great and even though we missed the sunset, we still walked around the cliffs (the furthest north point) enjoying the view that even after the sun went down was absolutely stunning. The mosquitoes chased us back to the car and we headed back to our hotel to take a shower and get ready for the night.

As usual - nap turned out to be useful but we missed our alarm and the first bus to Amnesia. We were sitting in the bus stop waiting for the next bus when a new couple joined us. Great people, we had fun talking to them on the way and when we arrive to Amnesia we wish them a good night and split up.

Steve, being a wonderful friend and a perfect gentleman as always, tested the x-factors before feeding them to me. They turned out to be great and actually work, which was odd as we had spent already 10 days on the island. We had fun and remembering my last experiences with security and other creepy guys, we started going to bathrooms together so we would split up and meet at the door. We were dancing, watching the crowd and enjoying the vibe of the night, and sometime later (I think it was around 4am) I suddenly feel someone touching my shoulder. We turn around and it is BOS! :) He had just come from Judgment Sundays and so we continued to dance there together waiting for the foam. This was the closing party so they almost drowned everyone. After jumping around in foam, taking pictures and getting washed off, it was time to head home. At first we tried to get to the bus but it took forever so we ended up getting a cab. The cab driver looked at us and said with a smile on his face: "You wet? Wait!" and he took out a blanket from the trunk to cover the seats for us. We let BOS out at his place and drove back to our hotel.

I am a smart woman and sometimes I get really brilliant ideas. :) I knew I was hungry and if I will not eat, I will feel terrible when I wake up but at the same time - I really didn't feel like eating anything but... ice cream. Somehow it seemed like a good idea to have an ice cream before going to bed and so we ask the cab driver to let us out at the west end and we went searching for ice cream. After eating the first one I realized it feels unbelievably good and we got a second one as well.
We had a pretty nice walk while getting and eating the ice cream and getting back to the hotel as well so when we finally get home, we are tired and happy and able to fall asleep :)

... to be continued...

I am glad you are enjoying this. I've heard from people that I take my time to tell the story but it takes time to create the feeling. One thing is to tell the fact but in Ibiza it is the feeling that matters :)

yeah the "feeling" is 100% correct, I think reading these reviews without actually having been to ibiza just wouldn't be the same, I honestly feel down for people when I read the end of a review as I no how horrible it is leaving the place!

yeah the "feeling" is 100% correct, I think reading these reviews without actually having been to ibiza just wouldn't be the same, I honestly feel down for people when I read the end of a review as I no how horrible it is leaving the place!

Hard to say. I started reading these last summer before our first trip to Ibiza and it made me so anxious about the upcoming trip that it's hard to describe. I like to think that the anticipation is half the fun :)

Hard to say. I started reading these last summer before our first trip to Ibiza and it made me so anxious about the upcoming trip that it's hard to describe. I like to think that the anticipation is half the fun :)

haha yeah suppose thats another way to look at it! The love from ibiza is something else though!

Monday, the 17th

My brilliant idea (having an ice cream before going to bed) was really brilliant! We both woke up fresh and feeling better than ever. We knew that BOS, ASDF, and others are going to Driftwood but we had done that previous week and even though it was PVD playing, we decided to catch up on some sleep.

It was already a little bit late when we woke up but we wanted to find at least another beach so we jumped in the car and drove south-west and after half an hour or so, we found this tiny little beach with only few locals there and tiny little restaurant that was run by a very nice, elderly Spanish lady. The beach looked idyllic - it was a narrow bay surrounded by huge cliffs with caves in them, crystal clear water and it was a home of peace and tranquility. Even though we don't speak Spanish and the lady didn't speak English, we managed to order a meal and a bottle of white wine. The meal was simple but very well prepared and tasty and we both felt incredibly relaxed and happy.
After finishing our meal and the bottle of wine, we got down to the beach and decided to go for a swim before taking a nap. The water was not the warmest I've been in Ibiza. Now granted, for someone who is used to swimming in Baltic's, it didn't stop me from wanting to get in. Wine may have helped at this point... The tricky part was how to get in as the bottom is all covered in these pebbles and rocks and some of them were quite sharp. We took our snorkeling gear and slowly tried to find a way in and may I say, the little fishes that try to eat the old skin off your feet are not helping at this point - it tickles not to mention it is freaky! We got in to a point where you could fall in and swim further so that is what we did. The place was perfect for snorkeling and we are getting back there during one of our trips this year. While swimming we also found another way out of the water, which was quite perfect as I really didn't feel like taking the trip over rocks again, and when we got tired and a bit cold, we climbed out and lied down for a nap.

It was a real nap. We woke up few hours later (around 6pm) and after agreeing that we are not going for one last swim, we packed our things and headed back to the hotel to get ready for ASOT. This time I wanted to make sure we will not miss the opening act so we skipped the nap (but it was ok, as we had an excellent nap on the beach) and after getting ready, headed out for few drinks. We called BOS and agreed to meet them there and come closer to midnight, we went to the bus station and caught a bus that took us to Privilege right on time.

We were sitting outside getting more and more excited and the moment when the music started and they started letting people in the club my excitement went just through the roof. We got in and found BOS, ASDF and Helen. Apparently the Driftwood was awesome and they had the best time but you could see the lack of sleep wearing on them... mostly BOS who had found a nice spot were to sit down. He was sitting there swinging his head from one side to another, beating his foot in the rhythm and enjoying his rum and coke. The balcony was closed because they used it for VIP this time and so we went to the other outdoor area to get our drinks and consume some other supplements.

The music was absolutely great and once again I could see how brilliantly the act was prepared - the opening act was Orjan Nielsen and the music was full of energy and it made you move with it, then a sudden drop to start over again. I mean, if you think about it, there are people still coming to the club and that goes on for an hour and a half. This way no matter when you arrived, the music just took you, transformed you and infected everyone with the same vibe. Quite ingenious actually... After this it was Markus Schulz who again was more aggressive than the first act but also a lot of fun. It is a different kind of fun to dance in a bigger crowd of friends as well and we both quite enjoyed it. After a while I realized that BOS is missing and according to ASDF, he was still "chair dancing".
Steve and I got a bit tired and decided to get some air so we went to the outside area to rest. I have a back problem and I could feel the effect of constantly being on foot wearing on me. Basically, my back just starts hurting bad and the only thing what I can do is stretch it. So we are out there and I am stretching my back and somehow I got a terrible cramp in my leg and I spent almost 20 minutes stretching that as well... nothing pleasant and all together it looked a bit weird but then again, in clubs you see far weirder things than that.

I felt better and we went back in to find BOS who was still doing the "shut eye-head swinging-foot banging" dance only now he was standing (well actually leaning against a column). We asked if he wants to come to the dance floor with us and he just said that he will not leave the safety of this column. We went back to the dance floor and there is a little area where you can sit down (left side near stairway to the bathroom) and it was empty, so we went back, collected BOS and took him there. He could do the "shut eye-head swinging-foot banging" dance again while sitting, and Steve and I danced there together with him. It was great we all had lots of fun. At some point I confused BOS a bit - I had to go to the bathroom and so I asked him to hold my glass and I took his hand and put it on top of it. He looked at me a bit strange but didn't ask any questions. At this time he didn't know my experiences and why I am so careful when it comes to Ibiza Rule No.1.... you never know as even the security guys may try to "roofie" you...

I got back and BOS slowly started feeling better. We found the others and the dancing could continue. Armin had started his set and it was amazing! After a while the ASOT girls with came out with their ice cannons and they fired few shots our way as well. Time flew and Ali and Fila did the last set of the evening.
We danced the whole night through and it just got better and better every moment. I still remember when the last set closed, they have this voice saying "All good things must come to an end" and there us Helen standing next to me shouting "NOOOOOOOOOOOO".

We all got to the bus and headed back to San An where we said goodbye to Helen who was heading home that morning and we walked back to our hotel. A quick ice cream on the way (there was not a single night after this discovery when we would not have an ice cream before going to bed) and we were back in our hotel room, nicely tucked under the covers.

Back