11/11/11 - Did you do it?

Beckiboo

Did you observe the 2 mins silence at 11.11am yesterday? My work didn't :evil: The reason they dont do it is because they're an American company! Yet we have a minute's silence on Sept 11th...

Seems pretty fnked up doesn't it! :rolleyes:

Beckiboo said:
Did you observe the 2 mins silence at 11.11am yesterday? My work didn't :evil: The reason they dont do it is because they're an American company! Yet we have a minute's silence on Sept 11th...

Seems pretty fnked up doesn't it! :rolleyes:

Why two minutes silence? :confused:

We are an US company and we did the 2 min silence - mind you I organised it tho....... its important to remember......

Beckiboo said:
To remember the soliders who died during World War 1. "Rememberance Day" - heard of it :?:

No.
In Spain we don't do this kind of things. No WW for us, during the 2nd the country was in the middle of the Civil War and it's not easy to remember it without hurting "sensibilites"

puppylover said:
We are an US company and we did the 2 min silence - mind you I organised it tho....... its important to remember......

same - someone talked during so i wrote a little note - "shut the funk up you heartless winker" - pissed me right off......

I work for an american company too and work at another american companies site. Both emailed us to advise that the silence should be followed. I was at home and observed it with my own thoughts though as was working late shift.

Its not for WW1, its the internationally observed time for remembering the glorious dead in ALL wars that have ever been fought.

silvia said:
Beckiboo said:
To remember the soliders who died during World War 1. "Rememberance Day" - heard of it :?:

No.
In Spain we don't do this kind of things. No WW for us, during the 2nd the country was in the middle of the Civil War and it's not easy to remember it without hurting "sensibilites"

Hhhhmmm thats the point though kind of i think, it should be remembered and it should hurt peoples 'sensibilities'. Remembering the dead and their ultimate sacrifices would seem a bit odd if it didnt hurt a bit. I've been to the big memorial services in London and even in my town a few times and there are often hundreds of people with tears in their eye. A very sad time but one that must never be forgotten.

N8 said:
Hhhhmmm thats the point though kind of i think, it should be remembered and it should hurt peoples 'sensibilities'. Remembering the dead and their ultimate sacrifices would seem a bit odd if it didnt hurt a bit. I've been to the big memorial services in London and even in my town a few times and there are often hundreds of people with tears in their eye. A very sad time but one that must never be forgotten.

N8, the civil war was brother vs brother, fascist won and we had 40 years of dictatorship. There's nothing to remember than the worst years of our modern history.
It's cultural, I'm quite shocked with this tradition and the poopy one, it's nice but it's strange to me. I'm sure you will be shocked to discover some of our traditions ;)

I know what the spanish civil war was and dont see why the people who died in that should not be remembered? Ok, the facists won but what about the thousands of 'brothers' who dided on the other side? Should they dead not be remembered because the outcome of the war in which they fought wasnt the 'right one' according to modren thinking/ideas?

Should the millions of german soldiers who died in wwII not be remembered because they fought for the Nazis?

Of course they should. The day is about remembering the dead of ALL wars regardless of who they fought for.

Imagine if we decided to forget history (such as the civil war and subsequent facist rule) how bad that would be? Even the very worst of wars and the very worst of history must not be forgotten, if anything to prevent such things happening again. The germans all mark rememberence day, i've often stood side by side with my german collegeues to mark rememberence day too.

History must not be forgotten no matter how hard it is to think of it.

Edit - Cant belieive N a z i s is sensored on this site :rolleyes: So it appears that spotlight likes to help make people forget bits of history.

I'm a teacher and i made my class stop work and observe the silence. Some other classes did too!

I think it should be done by all!

N8 said:
I know what the spanish civil war was and dont see why the people who died in that should not be remembered? Ok, the facists won but what about the thousands of 'brothers' who dided on the other side? Should they dead not be remembered because the outcome of the war in which they fought wasnt the 'right one' according to modren thinking/ideas?

Should the millions of german soldiers who died in wwII not be remembered because they fought for the *beep*?

Of course they should. The day is about remembering the dead of ALL wars regardless of who they fought for.

Imagine if we decided to forget history (such as the civil war and subsequent facist rule) how bad that would be? Even the very worst of wars and the very worst of history must not be forgotten, if anything to prevent such things happening again. The germans all mark rememberence day, i've often stood side by side with my german collegeues to mark rememberence day too.

History must not be forgotten no matter how hard it is to think of it.

THere's a spanish day and the army and the governement and people who wants pays tribute to those death for the country. It's just not that popular than it seems it is in the UK, but it doesn't mean we forget our history, we are not patriots or we want it to happen again.
It's just a cultural thing, patriotism can be understood in many different ways.

Back