Your most powerful Ibiza memory.

Popping the question at Hostal De La Torre, at sunset, happened since this thread started. Should have remembered that when I bumped the thread:spank:

Ibiza 2005 still has a special place in my heart. I was on the verge of a burnout at work however I was repeating to myself everything was going to be all right; that year (2005) I decided it was about time to commit myself to a family life and propose to my back then girlfriend and we were to live happily thereafter. Only for my back then girlfriend to tell me bluntly she had met someone else. Well, what would you do when you just start hating your life with a passion? I asked my boss (reluctantly) if he would allow me to take a few days off he encouraged me to take two weeks of holidays:). And I couldn’t go elsewhere than to my spiritual home (Ibiza) and sadly I don’t think this forum existed back then or at least I wasn’t well aware of it otherwise I would’ve been one of the first ‘I was dumped by my ex future fiancée’- posters:)
I still remember everything as if it was yesterday. I arrived on a Monday, however my first club night was on Tuesday in Pacha on the 14th of June (my 30th birthday- see now how cruel my ex was to dump me days before my 30th). That was a Renaissance party with Hernan Cattaneo whom at that time was one of my favourite DJs (I quite liked prog back then). By the time he dropped that 'Warsaw' bomb, I was already having the time of my life and had already forgotten that evil person whom I was once about to propose:) such was the atmosphere that night. I left at 9am, went straight to the beach and plunged into the sea. I didn’t have any sleep the following day and clearly planned to have an early evening however that Brazilian bloke (who amazingly is still there at Zanzibar next to Ushuaia nowadays) somehow tricked me into buying a ticket for Subliminal at Pacha with the good old Eric Morillo at the turntables. It was yet another epic night and I left Pacha at 9am sharp still humming to the tune of Gadjo ‘So Many Times’. I didn’t want to go out again on Thu night and I crossed the street to avoid the Brazilian bloke on my way to the Fiesta hotel but there was still a nice looking girl who somehow managed to persuade me that Salvation at Il Divino was not to be missed. I was absolutely wrecked by Friday so I slept for almost 15 hours. Then went straight to Pure Pacha with Wally Lopez:) Then Saturday came and it was the grand opening at Amnesia which I still consider one of the best night I’ve ever had on the island up to date. Left Amnesia at 8.30am to pack my stuff and almost had a change of heart when I saw the people queuing for WLS at Space the very early hours in the morning. That week brought the smile back on my face and no one would recognise me when I went back to the office – from grumpy Dan I was the happy Dan again.
The only one regret I had was that I didn’t manage to get laid:). I was much fitter back then and a Gym Nazi type of guy but I reckon the ‘come and take me I’m desperate’ look didn’t really do me any favours. Even though I had a golden opportunity the very first day when I landed – I went to this bar near Moorea (forgot the name it’s still there even today) and it was that nice looking lady who asked me what had brought me to Ibiza alone. In a sublime moment of inspiration I managed to come out with this wonderful idea of transposing my own story and told her my best friend from Canada was dumped by his fiancée and he was so depressed that he needed some help. And it was me the unselfish and ever caring friend who suggested him to come to Ibiza and I also took some unpaid holidays and boarded the first flight from Munich (ie where I was based those days) to look after him. Such amazing camaraderie and I kid you not- you could sense she was moved. I even had a few free drinks that night but somehow managed to screw everything up and got wasted – needless to say I avoided that bar for the rest of my trip.

For me it was in 1996 when I first visited mambo (in previous visits to Ibiza I had never stumbled on it), It will always haunt me (and my girlfriend who is now my wife) the DJ playing 'What a wonderful world' by Louise Armstrong just as the sun was setting. Very moving which brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes, not just for me but most of the people in their at the time.

Those were the days when you could just walk right into Mambo and get a front table just for a couple of drinks, no PR, No bouncer, no walkway. Just normal people relaxing and taking in the vibe either on the sunbeds in front of Mambo or on the seats in the bar.

It is the memory that drew me to Ibiza each and every year after that...a memory for me that never fades.

I think I've got three or four that are the most powerful.
Clubs:
2009:
  • Hearing Ferry Corsten play Beautiful, We Belong and Made of Love in Cream @ Amnesia. Absolutely wrecked, on some island in the middle of nowhere, with one other friend. What an experince.
  • The waterfall and the lasers at Privilege for the Tiesto party. When the Tiesto bird started spinning on the waterfall, it was a case of 'what the **** is going on here'
2011:
  • Seeing Above & Beyond play in Ibiza, and them finished on Sun In Your Eyes, one of my favourite songs they've produced. Think it was at this point I realised just how in love I was with my ex. All change now though :lol:
Non-Clubbing
  • Watching the sunset for the first time, with that feeling of excitement and anticipation for the night ahead.
These all still stands. Had some epic times since, but none of them have been this... powerful

First time I did VIP at Pacha for David Guetta. His mixing was spot on and tune selection something else, I was fairly tapping my feet whilst being fed grapes. Next thing we got a massive bottle of grey goose with a big sparkler on top and everyone looked. Doesn't get any better.

Aye, but did he play "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands"?

Had a moment of amazing clarity in Cox @ Space in 2010, i knew i was gonna go home, dump the missus, and give it a try with this sort back in London who had been politely sniffing around for a year or so.

That was it, no turning back, mind made up.

Fast forward 5 years, still with the missus and have a nipper and a mortgage in the sticks. :):(

Had a moment of amazing clarity in Cox @ Space in 2010, i knew i was gonna go home, dump the missus, and give it a try with this sort back in London who had been politely sniffing around for a year or so.

Fast forward 5 years, still with the missus and have a nipper and a mortgage in the sticks. :):(

We've all been there mate :spank:

I hope the current Mrs VV doesn't read here!:spank:

Had a few of those moments of clarity in Ibiza as well, no other holiday does it really, get new job, get new girlfriend, give up crisps - all of which I did, well the crisp one didnt last long...

So anyway, most powerful moment

Clubbing
First time at Space, friend picked me up at the airport, gave me a pill, we didnt even go back to the apartment to drop my bags off, straight in Space on a sunday morning! Laurent Garnier playing French Kiss mixed with Donner Summer Love to Love, so many happy people, the atmosphere, how messy people were at 11am as well! The dark cold discoteca, remember hearing a breakbeat version of beltram Energy Flash in there, sound system was amazing, but it was all about the terrace and the sunshine! The steps at the back, met some charcters there, and the speakers on the floor in the middle with the wire mesh, god the memories are coming back! The fans, the mesh stuff covering the terrace, the planes - basically it blew my mind, best club I had been to, and still is!

Non clubbing
Cala d'hort beach, me and a freind decided to climb the rocks to get a good view of Es Vedra, was bloody hard work and bit dodgy at some points! Got to the top, walked to the edge to the cliff looking out to Es Vedra, the breeze from the sea was strong up there, but you would never of known it down on the beach, it literally took your breath away, sat up there for a good hour or so, talking crap, going deep and meaningful (was the day after Pacha so still bit wired), then the climb down back to the beach, saw a small cliff that people were jumping off, we went down, stood on the edge and got massivly scared! But just did it, was fine but what a thrill! Swam back to shore, and went to the restaurant and had the most amazing grilled calamari and swordfish combo - great day that was!!

But every trip has its moments, but its these early ones that spring to mind :)

When Paul van dyk dropped "alive" in amnesia main room @ cream whilst I was stood right under the ice cannon.

Still not sure whether the ice cannon or the music gave me goosebumps

Hearing PVD play home mashed up with a version of seven nation army whilst watching people around me chew their jaws off was pretty special!

Hearing PVD play home mashed up with a version of seven nation army whilst watching people around me chew their jaws off was pretty special!

:lol: Hearing Ferry Corsten drop Made Of Love and Beautiful while I was trashed, with people chewing their jaws off, was outstanding. As was the pair of stupid aviators I was wearing. :lol:

:lol: Hearing Ferry Corsten drop Made Of Love and Beautiful while I was trashed, with people chewing their jaws off, was outstanding. As was the pair of stupid aviators I was wearing. :lol:

Let's face it, no night is complete unless you're wearing a pair of aviators or a luminous pair from a looky looky man.

They're two of Ferry's best tunes. I remember hearing him play them back to back followed up with Punk! I swear I about shat my pants with excitement.

Interesting that two of my most powerful memories are actually from my very first trip in 2005.

Remember very clearly a packed room at Cream Amnesia going absolutely nuts to PvD dropping Chicane - Saltwater, ice cannon going off. And stepping into that club for the very first time.

Also, my first sunset had a huge affect on me. Magical memory.

The A&B Group Therapy boat party in 2011 was pretty damn special. That will live with me forever. Amazing and surreal afternoon. Will never forget climbing back into the boat after swimming in the sea, slipping and hitting the floor ... hard.

Let's face it, no night is complete unless you're wearing a pair of aviators or a luminous pair from a looky looky man.

They're two of Ferry's best tunes. I remember hearing him play them back to back followed up with Punk! I swear I about shat my pants with excitement.

Those days are gone sadly, it's a killer that they are to me. I'd love to see Ferry of old again

Phil: Do you ever not injure yourself on trips to Ibiza?

Back