The Libertines + Slaves @ Ibiza Rocks (22-07-15)

McRackin

Super Moderator
It's been a long and eventful journey but here we are, celebrating the Ibiza Rocks tenth birthday party. Keeping in mind it was Pete Doherty's show with Babyshambles in 2005 at Bar M (now Ibiza Rocks Bar) that first took the Rocks gigs from Privilege's Music Box (now part of the Vista Club room) to the open air, there was no better band to mark this milestone.

Regarding the opening slot, they couldn't have possibly found a more perfect band for the job as Slaves are one of the most genuinely exciting bands at the moment.

After various singles and EPs, the Kent duo's debut album Are You Satisfied? was released some weeks ago. Songs like "Cheer Up London", "The Hunter", "Feed The Mantaray" (with a guy dressed as a mantaray dancing around the stage and crowdsurfing) or "Hey" (where one of them descended the stage and joined the crowd) kicked serious ass and filled us with adrenaline. Such a spectacle to see what these two guys can do with a minimal drum set-up, a guitar and their voices. To hear them covering "Shutdown" by Skepta was the icing on the cake.

Along with Catfish & The Bottlemen, my favourite gig of the season so far!

P1210918+-+copia.JPG

First time on the island for The Libertines, although Pete Doherty (with Babyshambles at Privilege and at Bar M and solo at Ibiza Rocks Bar) and Carl Barât (with Dirty Pretty Things at Bar M) already played here in the early years of Ibiza Rocks.

Despite only releasing two albums (2002's Up The Bracket and 2004's The Libertines), they're one of the most influential British bands of the 21st century (for example The Bulletproof Bomb, who we saw last week, mention them as one of their faves). They reformed last year and started working on their third album, Anthems For Doomed Youth, due to be released in september.

After the intro ("We'll Meet Again" by Vera Lynn), the four libertines strolled on stage throwing beer cans to their fans. The crowd roared when they started with "Horror Show" and before the song was over Pete had already jumped in the crowd. With all eyes firmly set on him, they continued with their exceptional 22-song set that included two new songs, the first single "Gunga Din" and "Barbarians", and all the expected classics, like "The Delaney", "Time For Heroes", "What Katie Did", "Boys In The Band", "Can't Stand Me Now", "Death On The Stairs", "Tell The King", "What Became Of The Likely Lads", "Up The Bracket", "I Get Along", "What A Waster" or "Don't Look Back Into The Sun".

Great to see them back together and on fine form... it lived up to my expectations and more!

P1220481+-+copia.JPG

Spectacular way to celebrate Ibiza Rocks' first ten years... roll on the next ten!

Rudimental return to the Ibiza Rocks Hotel next week with their explosive live show... tickets available here.

Slaves setlist:
Ninety Nine
Live Like An Animal
Despair And Traffic
Where's Your Car Debbie?
Sockets
Cheer Up London
The Hunter
Feed The Mantaray
Shutdown [Skepta]
Hey

The Libertines setlist:
Horror Show
Campaign Of Hate
The Delaney
Vertigo
Time For Heroes
Begging
The Ha Ha Wall
Gunga Din
Music When The Lights Go Out
What Katie Did
Boys In The Band
Can't Stand Me Now
Barbarians
Last Post On The Bugle
Death On The Stairs
Tell The King
The Good Old Days
What Became Of The Likely Lads
Up The Bracket
I Get Along
What A Waster
Don't Look Back Into The Sun

The Libertines at Ibiza Rocks' 10th Birthday

Energy levels at 1000 volts, a head first stage dive into the crowd by main man Pete Doherty (ragged shirt trailing behind) before the first song was even finished, an endless amount of beer and even a stray guitar flying into the sky to mark the anniversary occasion (we did Pete proud). Live music lived on in Ibiza, as the lazy, hazy drawls between Pete and Carl of longing, loneliness and love intertwined with the sounds of their loosely timed yet perfectly fitting guitar strokes.

Maya

:arrow: Top 15 dance floor moments of Ibiza 2015

Back