Pyramid @ AMNESIA 2023 - Reviews & Reports

Ferd

After positive night's at Circo Loco and Saga, this Sunday was my last outing this year. I had planned to go to see Sasha at Shen but he cancelled this so that tipped me towards Pyramid.

Kolsch, Beyer and Maceo seemed a solid enough line up and I usually like them all. Unfortunately it didn't quite live up to expectations.

Kolsch started soon after I got in. His style can be a bit varied but he usually brings some melodies towards the end, he must've forgotten them last night. Very dull, monotonous set.

Beyer improved things a little, but his set was not his usual high energy Drumcode style. Again dull techouse with strange vocals. Not anything like id consider his typical set. You'll see some of his stories from the night on Instagram where the crowd is just dead bored.

I thought things could only get better with Maceo but how wrong I was. Not seen him for a few years and some clips I've seen of him recently did worry me as they didn't sound that great, and his set was just exactly the same. Tunes that verge on edm, some awful rap style vocals and no flow to the set at all. Don't think he played one single slightly melodic track.
The crowd was flat as anything, just going through the motions. I really don't understand how DJs can't notice this from the booth and try to change things a little.

I decided to cut my losses just before 6.
Not the last night out I was hoping for!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to use the 2022 thread but was only place I could find for this and had to get this off my chest.

After positive night's at Circo Loco and Saga, this Sunday was my last outing this year. I had planned to go to see Sasha at Shen but he cancelled this so that tipped me towards Pyramid.

Kolsch, Beyer and Maceo seemed a solid enough line up and I usually like them all. Unfortunately it didn't quite live up to expectations.

Kolsch started soon after I got in. His style can be a bit varied but he usually brings some melodies towards the end, he must've forgotten them last night. Very dull, monotonous set.

Beyer improved things a little, but his set was not his usual high energy Drumcode style. Again dull techouse with strange vocals. Not anything like id consider his typical set. You'll see some of his stories from the night on Instagram where the crowd is just dead bored.

I thought things could only get better with Maceo but how wrong I was. Not seen him for a few years and some clips I've seen of him recently did worry me as they didn't sound that great, and his set was just exactly the same. Tunes that verge on edm, some awful rap style vocals and no flow to the set at all. Don't think he played one single slightly melodic track.
The crowd was flat as anything, just going through the motions. I really don't understand how DJs can't notice this from the booth and try to change things a little.

I decided to cut my losses just before 6.
Not the last night out I was hoping for!
I went last night for the first time as a last minute option as I wanted to see Alan Fitzpatrick, he did not disappoint!! I was sunglasses on, eyes closed and loving life. We then went to see Adam Beyer who I thought was ok but lost interest towards the end. I thought the night on the whole was good. Busy but not rammed busy and plenty of space to dance.

I went last night for the first time as a last minute option as I wanted to see Alan Fitzpatrick, he did not disappoint!! I was sunglasses on, eyes closed and loving life. We then went to see Adam Beyer who I thought was ok but lost interest towards the end. I thought the night on the whole was good. Busy but not rammed busy and plenty of space to dance.
Ah I should've gone to the main room!
I wanted to give the terrace a chance till the end lol

Pleased that room was good though :)

I went yesterday stayed in main room all night, I like that kind of techno, hard and sweaty. I went too see KOBOSIL because is my favourite DJ atm and he did not disapoint, HORSEPOWER vibes.

44gang

I have to agree main roon was incredible. Fitzpatrick and palmer were awesome. One of my best and memorable amnesia nights. Missed kobosil as my bro was a ruined man.

Wasn't feeling it on the terrace. Mar T early on was good though

Its such a shock going from the main room to the terrace - and vice versa - at Pyramid. I feel you are right to commit to one or the other. I remember going with a group of friends last year who thought the terrace was so slow coming out of the main room. Conversely, i could barely cross the threshold of the main room as it sounded like an explosion at a pots and pan factory.
Still disappointing about the Kolsch/Bayer/Plex lineup as that looked great on paper.

I have to agree main roon was incredible. Fitzpatrick and palmer were awesome. One of my best and memorable amnesia nights. Missed kobosil as my bro was a ruined man.

Wasn't feeling it on the terrace. Mar T early on was good though
Not sure anyone was feeling it on the terrace :D

Looks like I definitely should've made the move!

Its such a shock going from the main room to the terrace - and vice versa - at Pyramid. I feel you are right to commit to one or the other. I remember going with a group of friends last year who thought the terrace was so slow coming out of the main room. Conversely, i could barely cross the threshold of the main room as it sounded like an explosion at a pots and pan factory.
Still disappointing about the Kolsch/Bayer/Plex lineup as that looked great on paper.
Haha I thought exactly the same.

When I went to the toilets at the back of the terrace I'd pop my head in the main room and thought its just a little too much of a change.

Had I started there I couldve easily been there all night though.

I do think they could even the pace between the two rooms. Beyer can definitely bosh it out when he wants to. Maybe not the 150 bpm in the main room but at least 130, it felt like it was 120 in the terrace at times.

Last edited:
Didn't think I was going to post this, it has a lot of negativity to it and I may like Maceo as a producer (Lucid Dreamer!), but on the other hand truth must be told.

Truth is maceo plex can't read a crowd, the only mistake you can't get away with as a dj. A few good reports around here on his recent escapades but it's more often miss than hit with him behind the booth.

Remembering mosaic @ pacha 2015 where he closed the night after barnt and the pachanga boys. The transcendental atmosphere barnt and the boys expertly created was expertly obliterated within minutes by maceo. I was perplexed by the lack of quality he brought to the table. His selection was simply horrendous, he was venturing edm of the worst kind. Couldn't believe he put that crap on being sober. On his own night ffs. Luckily the rooftop terrace and steffi in the funky room saved the night.

I do like his productions and the people/parties he associates with, but when I see him posting an IG video of tony di bart the real thing as a closing track at circoloco, claiming it to be a lost underground gem, I can't help myself but pity the man. Many bedroom dj's put him to shame.

No big fan of kolsch and beyer either tbh. I'd place business techno next to paul van dyk trance these days. They make the whole scene look/feel foolish, which isn't.

Last edited:
Didn't think I was going to post this, it has a lot of negativity to it and I may like Maceo as a producer (Lucid Dreamer!) and on a personal level, but on the other hand truth must be told.

Truth is maceo plex can't read a crowd, the only mistake you can't get away with as a dj. A few good reports around here on his recent escapades but it's more often miss than hit with him behind the booth.

Remembering mosaic @ pacha 2015 where he closed the night after barnt and the pachanga boys. The transcendental atmosphere barnt and the boys expertly created was expertly obliterated within minutes by maceo. His selection was simply horrendous. Can't believe he put that crap on being sober. On his own night ffs. Luckily the rooftop terrace and steffi in the funky room saved the night.

I like a lot of his productions and the people/parties he associates with, but when I see him posting an IG video of tony di bart the real thing as a closing track at circoloco, claiming it to be a lost underground gem, I can't help myself but pity the man. Many bedroom dj's put him to shame.

No big fan of kolsch and beyer either tbh. I'd place business techno next to paul van dyk trance these days. They make the whole scene look/feel foolish, which isn't.

All fair points.

I will say I have seen good sets from Maceo, one night he played the Space Terrace on an Enter night at Space sticks out, it was immense, even if it was 10 years ago haha
Then I also remember his set at Space closing was a bit meh

As for Beyer, Im probably a bit partial to business techno, but he didnt even play that well that night 😭

Any reports from the Pyramid closing yesterday?
A friend of mine sent me a video of someone playing the bagpipes in the terrace DJ booth at some point?!!! :lol:

I liked it, busy but enough with room on the edges to get a drink or change room.

In the beginning Luca Donzelli drawed lots of people into main room. Later Mar-T got the terraza going, from abit calm to very busy. Played some house flavoured with 80s synth pop, what was that? And the festival african chant house track, what was that? Nice variation while still drawing people in, very good work.

Enza Siragusa have been on my list to hear solo, not b2b. Maybe I had abit too high expectations, maybe. Busy and people was up for it, without too much pushing or broken glass. He had some of his tin can clonky percussion with earth shattering basslines, like the one with Alexkid - Kilmanjaro 2.

Maceo sober? did u really pay attention to his moves , Coke as fu*k and confirmed by mate that work (used to as he's been fired this year) with him
been to pyramid closing (first one i paid) , didn't like it we should stay glitterbox, n for Maceo his mix still ok along pyramid i attend on dj free list, even far from my definition of techno wicked set.

Maceo love his white thing :spank: (as lot of people 🤫)

Back