Photos + report: Kaiser Chiefs @ Ibiza Rocks - 02.09.05

Dr Mick

chiefs0209_13.jpg

What is it with Manumission and the Mercury Prize? The 2005 nominations for British music’s most lust-inducing honour include Maximo Park (who played Ibiza Rocks opening on July 22), and Hard Fi on August 5. The ‘Mish even have their own resident looky-likey in the form of dj Colin Peters who has been mistaken for Bloc Party lead singer Kele Okereke more than once.

Last Friday (September 2) Ibiza Rocks hosted the 4-1 favourites to take out the 20 grand award, the Kaiser Chiefs. The Leeds five piece have evolved from faux-grunge zeroes to indie heroes in months and now boast at least three songs that every MTV-head knows the words too – ‘Oh My God’, ‘Every Day I Love You Less and Less’ and their recently re-released ‘I Predict A Riot’.

The Chief’s familiarity to the capacity audience was evident at the appearance of two unscheduled guest vocalists. During an early number lead singer Ricky Wilson leapt into crowd with little warning and in the resulting melee was returned to the stage sans microphone. An avid fan sang the rest of the song from the middle of the crowd leaving the now redundant Wilson to conduct.

chiefs0209_03.jpg

Ibiza Rocks @ Privilege - September 2, 2005

Following on from that a koala-like brunette somehow got hold of the huggable rogue during the slow number and would not let go even as he walked around the stage. Eventually he succumbed to her desire to duet and they managed a verse and a chorus or two till she was finally prised from her prize.

chiefs0209_14.jpg

This gig was arguably the wildest night the new Music Box has witnessed this year. Tickets stopped going on sale earlier in the week and the guest list was slashed (though they managed to find room for Jade Jagger and super model chum Kate Moss). The euphoria was palpable prior to their 4am start and the roar when they first took to the stage was stupendous.

chiefs0209_12.jpg

Ricky Wilson plays Ibiza Rocks @ Privilege - September 2, 2005

Live Wilson looks a bit like a round-faced bank clerk wearing his trendiest jeans on a night down the club. Initially he hobbled in on crutches but was only foxing and dispensed with them as he belted out their first number. The musicians in behind him - Andrew “Whitey” White on guitar, Simon Rix the bass player, pork pie hat-wearer Nick “Peanut” Baines (keyboards) and the songwriting Nick Hodgson on drums and vocals - ripped confidently through their hour long set.

After their encore a visibly uplifted Mylo was ushered onto the decks in the Coco Loco as the party slipped into a housier gear till the dawn close.

chiefs0209_11.jpg

Mylo plays Ibiza Rocks @ Privilege - September 2, 2005

chiefs0209_07.jpg

chiefs0209_10.jpg

Wolf & Princess Superstar at Ibiza Rocks @ Privilege - September 2, 2005

chiefs0209_06.jpg

chiefs0209_05.jpg

chiefs0209_04.jpg

chiefs0209_02.jpg

chiefs0209_01.jpg

chiefs0209_09.jpg

chiefs0209_08.jpg

Ibiza Rocks @ Privilege - September 2, 2005[/b]

This is the night I most wannted to go to in Ibiza this whole year, beats the crap out of anything else in my opinion. It was even on the normal week i go to ibiza for my birthday....damn my best mate for getting married on the Saturday so i couldn't go this year :lol: :evil:

Ricky did actually need the cruthes...he injured his ankle doing other crowd related stunts at a show a couple of weeks ago - rock 'n' roll, live the dream!!! 8)

Dr Mick said:
What is it with Manumission and the Mercury Prize? The 2005 nominations for British music’s most lust-inducing honour include Maximo Park (who played Ibiza Rocks opening on July 22), and Hard Fi on August 5. The ‘Mish even have their own resident looky-likey in the form of dj Colin Peters who has been mistaken for Bloc Party lead singer Kele Okereke more than once.

Last Friday (September 2) Ibiza Rocks hosted the 4-1 favourites to take out the 20 grand award, the Kaiser Chiefs.

They lost!

From the Guardian online:

Former choirboy turned cross-dresser scoops Mercury prize from favourites

American-based musician made British shortlist on technicality, say Kaiser Chiefs

Patrick Barkham
Wednesday September 7, 2005

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/mercury2005/story/0,,1564286,00.html

I loved it too. We arrived about 1am, and just chilled at the front of the stage. It was my birthday from midnight so I was well in the mood. The warmup band were pretty decent, and by the time the Kaisers came on, the music box was rocking. They just have so much energy. At one of his stage dives, I actually caught him, which was funny. I also had some guy called Lee up on my shoulders for a couple of songs.
I remember leaving at about 6, thinking, I never thought I'd be in a mosh pit in ibiza. I've been to quite a few gigs including U2 and Robbie Williams, but this topped the lot just for the energy of the gig.

Any room for a Kaiser Chiefs/Rick Waller duet gag on this thread?

"I predict a diet!"

Thought not

*Bails*

Buckley said:

"I predict a diet!"

Thought not

*Bails*

Worryingly I am informed that Moyles has been singing this on Radio 1 and as I hadn't heard it there, our minds must be as one :eek:

Buckley said:
Buckley said:

"I predict a diet!"

Thought not

*Bails*

Worryingly I am informed that Moyles has been singing this on Radio 1 and as I hadn't heard it there, our minds must be as one :eek:

You also look very similiar, are you twins :confused: :?: ;)

weloveliam@space said:
Buckley said:
Buckley said:

"I predict a diet!"

Thought not

*Bails*

Have you ever seen us at he same time? :p

Have you heard the KCs new one about the OK Coral?

"I predict a Wyatt!"

*the snorkel parka with busted zip please*

weloveliam@space said:
[Stop telling jokes or the pussy gets it !! [/size]

Apparently, with tourism bosses have hired them to boost the hotel trade.......

"I predict a Hyatt"

*shoots self*

weloveliam@space said:
Buckley said:
Buckley said:

"I predict a diet!"

Thought not

*Bails*

john,-moyles,-buckley-and-f.jpg

Hmmm. They both have gay friends.

Dr Mick said:
http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/image/night/club_reviews/monza/john,-moyles,-buckley-and-f.jpg

Hmmm. They both have gay friends[/quote]

:lol:

Well he does go by the name of "Chocolate" :lol:

Back