KAISER CHIEFS + PEACE | IBIZA ROCKS | 03/09/14

McRackin

Super Moderator
This season's Ibiza Rocks has had many stand out moments and for all tastes (rapper Nas celebrating the 20th anniversary of his seminal debut album, the return of Ska legends Madness, etc) but for many last night was the big one, the one we've been waiting all summer for: the return of the mighty Kaiser Chiefs!

004+-+copia.JPG

The Birmingham-based band Peace, who will be supporting Bombay Bicycle Club during their december UK tour, were the opening band this week. I was looking forward to it after hearing very positive comments from a friend who saw them recently at the Arenal Sound festival in Castellón. Their well-received first album In Love (2013) will have a follow up very soon, which should confirm them as one of the UK's most important young bands.

The band caught me from the start because as an intro they used the beginning of the classic "Immigrant Song" by the greatest Rock band of all time (that's Led Zeppelin in case you've been living on a different planet!), right before kicking off with "1988" from their first EP Delicious (2012). Aside from some of the best songs of the album ("Follow Baby", "California Daze", "Lovesick", "Wraith", etc) the four-piece also played the new tunes "Money", "Lost On Me" (the first and second singles to be taken from their forthcoming album) and "World Pleasure". By the time they left the stage, after saying goodnight and singing a line from "Don't Look Back In Anger" by Oasis, they had won many new admirers... extraordinary concert!

It's great to see live bands that you've been following for years but it's also important to discover new ones. This year we can't complain with all the new talent we've seen in that stage and Peace are good example of this!

187+-+copia.JPG

Kaiser Chiefs came in 2005 to Privilege's back room before the explosion of their debut Employment, in 2007 to Bar M to present their sophomore Yours Truly, Angry Mob and in 2012 to the Ibiza Rocks Hotel with another two albums under their belts, Off With Their Heads (2008) and The Future Is Medieval (2011).

We still remember their last visit, a concert people keep talking about two years later not only because of its musical quality but also because in the middle of a song the singer Ricky Wilson left the stage and reappeared in the press room balcony and during another he went up to the VIP from where he jumped into the pool... a truly memorable gig!

Since the last time the Leeds quintet played here, their original drummer left the band to concentrate on other projects and they released their fifth album Education, Education, Education & War (2014), which hit the number one spot in the UK albums chart.

It was obvious this time Ricky wasn't going to beat his previous off-stage shenanigans but we suspected something special would happen. The band's fourth gig on the island included songs from the new album like "Ruffians On Parade", "Coming Home" (followed by the first notes of Jimi Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" as a joke) or "My Life", and also old favourites like "Everyday I Love You Less And Less", "Everything Is Average Nowadays" for which the singer came down to the crowd barriers, "Never Miss A Beat", "Na Na Na Na Naa" with their ex-tour manager and Ibiza Rocks' director of live events Mike Darling on the tambourine, their big hit "Ruby", "I Predict A Riot", "The Angry Mob" with Ricky in the middle of the crowd (from where he asked people to put their phones down and enjoy the moment!) and a sit-down or "Oh My God". Curiously, they ignored their 4th release The Future Is Medieval.

Without a doubt my favourite night of the summer!

467+-+copia.JPG

Only two Ibiza Rocks dates left... tickets available here:
:arrow: http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/ibiza_rocks_i.htm

Quick question , although I've visited ibiza many many times I'm still unsure exactly where ibiza rocks is situated in San Antonio ?

It's in the middle of san an...official address is:c/Cervantes 27
actual main entrance is around the corner and up the hill at c/estrella

Back