How's Your Year Been? (2015)

Buckley

An early go at this one this year.

2013 here: http://forum.ibiza-spotlight.com/threads/hows-your-year-been-2013.69979/

Did we do 2014?

*deep breath*

One of the hardest of my life. Early year worries that my 2-year-old son's speech didn't seem to be coming along, and the meltdowns he had with Mrs B becoming more apparent to me too, were swept aside for a little while as mini-me no.2 joined us. Time moved on, an operation to install grommets in his ears, giving us hope glue ear was dampening his hearing and hence a temporary delay on his speech. But no, a few months later, a diagnosis - my beautiful Tommy is autistic. How can he be? He's the most gorgeous child whoever lived! He makes eye contact! He's affectionate. I don't want to believe it. I can't believe it. He melts down in Pizza Express. People complain. The PE staff know us and offer to box up the complainants food. How kind. But I don't want sympathy. I don't. I want to fix this. I want to save my son.

But then light. Mrs B is resourceful, she's not only discovered a therapy that appears to work, there is a chance of full recovery. She puts a team together of therapists to provide 40 hours a week of therapy and we convince nursery to allow an ABA (Applied Behavioural Analysis) tutor to shadow Tommy in nursery. We're three months in right now and life is so much better. The meltdowns that could last half hour plus, where the necessity if stopping him writhing on the ground, out of control, for fear he'd smash his head open, would lead to being headbutted scratched and punched, now last 5 of minutes on a bad day and are far less frequent. He has some words, 15 or so, far below the 200 an average child his age has, but 10 or more of those have come since we started therapy.

So my year. From darkness into hope. We will progress. Tommy will thrive.

I went to Ibiza and got drunk, I played a bit of a football, but nothing could ever define a year like this.

Not meant to be heavy, we are on upward curve and we will succeed, and Spotlight has been a part of my life for long enough it seems relevant.

Also, best performer of the year award to the newcomer. Billy Buckley - the kid's a dream. Slept right through from his first night in his own room.

The Buckley Brothers. Nothing will beat them:
brothers.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Buckley, thanks for sharing your story....and I wish you and your family all the best as you continue to deal/live with your son's condition, sounds like he has already benefitted from your efforts to help him.

Lovely photo of your boys :)

Yes mate well played! Glad to hear the therapy is improving things and making a difference - all the best!

Great to hear your managing to work through that :) My cousin is autistic, and its a struggle at times, but its just the way life is.

I hope you all the best in the future with him :)

Theres no way with the relatively little I know about your attitude to life you won't be smashing this one out of the park, as you know I have two of about the same age so props bro. He's here, hes yours and hes cool as f***.
Mines been good, two kids and my intention to soak up these early years dominated it – had some real mental clarity, including a good read of a good book – the chimp paradox. Ran my first 10k and yesterday entered my first half marathon. All but gave up 5 a side.
Lost a friend (binned) for basically being a massive racist but made a couple more. Ibiza, france, Greece and paris next weekend hols.
Had my tonsils out, feckin unbelievable pain.

Deep breath indeed.

Very emotive post there Buckley. Sometimes, one can go through life and not appreciate the challenges that other people have in their day to day life. I can be guilty of this now and again, often making problems that don't in truth actually exist. I'm sure Tommy's therapy will work wonders.

My eldest daughter struggled a lot at Nursery and school in her early years (okay, not the best comparison to Tommy's), always bottom of the class etc. But she slowly but surely improved, unlike me who went from being bright to a "naughty kid"!

2015 brought us a very proud moment with her celebrating 2 A* 4 A and 4 B at GCSE. She is (apparently), very talented at Humanities subjects and is now doing 4 A levels also securing an external Law program.

I just need to get to grips with the boyfriend scenario now:eek:.

Here she is all grown up and moody at Benirras in July (on the left, younger daughter on right)
22861927574_f60672dac7_k.jpg

Beautiful @diver ! Good work.

I don't know the comparison is that far off mate - there's days when I believe Tommy will live a normal life. Other days - things happen which remind me all is not well. A little ago while they stopped charging for Tommy when we go to the soft play - when I questioned it they said he doesn't really use the equipment. That's really not the case - he's been all over the big kids area since he was 2, but they'd clearly tried to do us a favour because they'd noticed he was different. I don't mind admitting that I cried all the way home in the car.

Anyway, this thread needs others' years reports. @Robder - you're bound to have done some stuff I didn't know was actually a thing. How's your year been?

Ah mate - you guys are such an amazing team and with Mel at the helm looks like you have made all the right steps in securing what Tommy needs to progress and for you to have confidence in his future. Good luck to you and your lovely family unit! xxxx

It is lol - after my self imposed hiatus from all things club related I thought I would pop back in to say Hi :) *waves to everyone who remembers her lol.

I nearly popped over to Ibiza for the last weekend in July to celebrate my 50th at the Clockwork Orange event that weekend but I got "the fear" about a month before and wisely recognised my inability to be sensible and changed my mind lol...

Wish i hadn't bailed now - how goes it with you my friend?

It is lol - after my self imposed hiatus from all things club related I thought I would pop back in to say Hi :) *waves to everyone who remembers her lol.

I nearly popped over to Ibiza for the last weekend in July to celebrate my 50th at the Clockwork Orange event that weekend but I got "the fear" about a month before and wisely recognised my inability to be sensible and changed my mind lol...

Cool and the Gang, I'm the big 44 tomorrow but still up for it (recovery times getting longer now though).

You missed a top party at Clockwork by all accounts. I'm almost 100% doing that weekend in 2016, just waiting for flight prices to drop. Get on it in 2016!! (Hiatus - "a break or interruption"!!!!)

Cool and the Gang, I'm the big 44 tomorrow but still up for it (recovery times getting longer now though).

You missed a top party at Clockwork by all accounts. I'm almost 100% doing that weekend in 2016, just waiting for flight prices to drop. Get on it in 2016!! (Hiatus - "a break or interruption"!!!!)

ha ha ha - yes - I am sick of seeing the photos or hearing about it from Danny /Andy - gits! I will be over next year - just need to take a month off work afterwards with the obligatory Ibiza Flu symptoms - in the words of Arnie "I'll be back" :) :)

It is actually hard to believe that you are 50!

You've got two beautiful lads there Buckley, glad to hear tommy is improving all the time. A friends lad has Autism and he has come on leaps and bounds in the past year,as i dont see him that often I have been astonished with his progress when I do see him.
Ive had a sh*t year, cant wait to see the back of it. Missus had two miscarriages (one IVF, on her birthday , second natural , the day we moved out of our house) . Hoping 2016 is better but fearing it will just be the same to be honest.

On a brighter note I hope everyone has a great 2016:)

Buckers - that was a sad read mate. Goes without saying that Jen and I send our love from the north.

To try and put a more positive spin on the thread - my year has been great. Life changing wuld some it up well. The reason for that would be the little hero that arrived 3 months ago. Thomas has become everything in our lives now! he is great and even the substantial lack of sleep hasnt been too bad ( i knew all them nights of staying up all night after nightclubs would come in handy some day!!)

Other news, work is going well (was promoted this this year), the club night is going stupidly well and Everton are doing ok this season!

That took guts to share that Buckley!

My year has flown by...Still spending way to much time at work that I realise life is passing by and it's now December and don't have a lot to say.

Did a bit of travelling - Ibiza and a bit of travelling in July and will be heading back in a few weeks for NY! Looking forward to seeing the island in the winter!

A very good year, worked hard over the course of the summer. Enjoyed myself, saw some great djs. Went to Ibiza and off to Gran Canaria in less than a week. Oh and the Villa are in the shit and going down. Fantastic up the baggies!

My main aim next year is to see solomun, stay to see carola, do club nights i havent done and explore Ibiza better.

Roll on 2016

Back