Eivissa or ibiza

blackandwhiteviking

Hi quick question, Would a resident of Ibiza say ibiza or eivissa? just wondering as i am considering getting a tattoo and not sure which word to have done. cheers.

spanish (castellano) = ibiza
catalan = eivissa

both is correct really. if you're an island native and your parents also have grown up here and their parents too, then it's more likely you'd use eivissa, but a lot of people would still use ibiza.

Lizard-tattoo-designs-2.jpg

@Pancho .I beefa - Lol....hate it when i hear brits pronounce it like that.
Agree.

If any of you have watched the video uploaded a day or two ago by Nick Ibizahire you will notice he not only pronounces Ibiza as I-bEEfa but now also adds "IBIZA" on the screen at that moment so viewers know what he's taking about. I switched off the video at the point.

Let's compare this to Copenhagen. There are three alternatives for me: Copenhagen (English), Kjøpenhavn (Norwegian) and København (Danish). If I was talking in English I'd say Copenhagen. In Norwegian I'd say Kjøpenhavn, and if I was talking to a Dane in English I'd say Copenhagen. However, Scandinavians most often talk to each other in their own languages. I would then be speaking Norwegian and pronounce it Kjøpenhavn, whilst the Dane would be speaking Danish and say København to me.

The same goes with Oslo. If I was talking in English I'd pronounce it Os-lo. If I was talking in Norwegian I'd say Oess-lo. If I found myself in the east end of town surrounded by a gang of thuggish eastenders, I'd say Osch-lo (simply to avoid getting beaten up).

Don't get me started on Kiev..

Rant over.

Back