AKASHA

Nile Rodgers said that "the best clubs should feel like centre of the universe" and last night certainly felt like that. By now, you should all know how much I love Akasha, and it was definitely my favourite ever night there. Easily.

Laurent played a lot of same tracks he did at Time Warp, only being somewhere so intimate and with him in the centre of the room, those tracks took on a whole new meaning.

And like @dublinsays, he played everything from Disco to UKG (there was some Streets in there) to Funk and Techno.Even an Aretha Franklin remix.

Also for me personally, the first time (after longing it for happen for so long) where somebody has played Donna Summer I Feel Love whilst rushing and, oh my, it felt every bit as good as I imagined.

Will post some more tracks tomorrow, but needless to say, it was a masterclass. What a DJ. What a club.

Nice one! Sounds mega,. If you haven't already check out his "Excess Luggage" compilation from 2003. A masterclass in eclecticism, set building and unexpected detours.

he played (60% correct - 40% not sure) and I miss at least 50 records :
I Don't Know Why
Boobjazz
Dump Days
Be yourself
Apaga la luz
Zadig
Untight BANGER !
Je pense moodymann
Starlight
Soldier
Liveinla de moodymann i think he played also another one from moodymann not sure
Danger eel newbies
and then it was fire with a track with the lyrics "you don't know what you are listening bla bla bla derrick may ... i though it was house is or Life Like feat
Forest life
Teho ad makoto san => totally crazy
I say a little prayer
Hear waht they hear
And a pepito wha you gonna do !
Balsting off
Liquid samba
He became more mad/hard with
Turn the page
Funky fanfare perhaps
and sure Waht the f*** !
Funkstar deluxe
Go brooklyn
Nocturno according to shazam
Machine lernt
Hrony
Followed by last chance
Love story
AC slater and RObinson
Dances on wood clearly a masterpiece
Touch me
Irregul synth (not sure)
Urban suite
Only solution (probably)
House music
Rave theory
Underground gang ?
Save me ?
Can you feel the night
Malfunction Manipulation like often for the moment
0303am (again shazam)
Incantations for world peace
Da fonk
I feel love donna summer
Girogio
Space like me
Possibly hans zimmer
Biene maya
DCLVIII
Feeling of realism
Keep on
Time pen perry
Cafe del mar miw with soemting
Emotional overload
Fully focused
The fixer old school
Nice to meet you

During the mix he was searching track on his turntable turning a knob then he stopped, it was like his eyes pop out of his orbits "wide eyes" then he nods his head as if to say, 'Oh yeah, that's going to send them to another planet

He's one of the best because he judges the mood so well and isn't restricted by genres or tempos or current fads. Something the newer DJs would do well to learn from. The other thing is that he was given time here. You CANNOT restrict a DJ to 90 minutes. That simply isn't enough time for anyone to build a set, a point I keep repeating over and over.

He's one of the best because he judges the mood so well and isn't restricted by genres or tempos or current fads. Something the newer DJs would do well to learn from. The other thing is that he was given time here. You CANNOT restrict a DJ to 90 minutes. That simply isn't enough time for anyone to build a set, a point I keep repeating over and over.
A completely different league to the one genre” Djs that are around; including some very well known names that are championed right here on this forum. He definitely hasn’t sold out.

edit
and not forgotting the refreshing change that Akasha has brought to the island.

Last edited:
My music knowledge and skill is very limited, granted... But if i aspired to be a dj then id look no further than Garnier, he is the pinnacle of his profession imo of what ive heard.

I love that he genuinely hates short sets, because why would you want punters to get half or even less of the experience.

I remember when turntablists were sniffing at laptop djs, he really turned it into an artform. The energy and drama in those sets was amazing. Not to mention all the awesome music he made or remixed.
When i went to subclub to see him a year or so ago, thats one of if not my fav set ive seen in person

Back