WOLF ALICE + L.A. | IBIZA ROCKS | 14/09/16

McRackin

Super Moderator
Due to some technical problems, this week's event had to be moved to Ibiza Rocks Bar so it was like a return to the good old days of Bar M...

Ley DJ warmed up for Jack Garratt last june and she was invited back for the closing, the fifth time the Valencian DJ'd at Ibiza Rocks in the last three years. She was also part of the line-up for Rock Nights at Pikes, which this week featured Marky Ramone as very special guest DJ.

P1340579+-+copia.JPG

L.A. is one of Spain's most internationally recognised bands and has released a few albums and EP's. Their latest (and probably best) album is called From The City To The Ocean Side (2015). Think American-influenced folk rock with a Vedder-esque voice... or even better, do yourself a favour and have a listen.

After playing at Mallorca Rocks twice in the past, the Mallorca four-piece was supposed to debut at Ibiza Rocks yesterday but in the end what we got was an acoustic show by Luis Alberto, the band's leader. It was actually the third time he played in acoustic format on the island as he already performed at El Reencuentro (San Antonio) two years ago and at Santos (Playa Den Bossa) last june. This time he only had fourty minutes to present his music so he chose some of L.A.'s most popular songs, like "Under Radar", "Secrets Undone" or "In The Meadow".

Hopefully we'll get to see the whole band in the near future.

P1340586+-+copia.JPG

Wolf Alice's debut album My Love Is Cool was one of the biggest surprises of 2015 (Courtney Barnett's Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit is another one that springs to mind while I write these lines) with echoes of bands like Hole, My Bloody Valentine, Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Veruca Salt, etc (although, as you can read in the interview the drummer did for Spotlight, they prefer to not cite any name in particular as an inspiration)... I just love how 90's they are.

The London quartet, fronted by Ellie Rowsell, are one of the most exciting new bands around so I've been waiting for this gig all summer long. The critically acclaimed indie rockers came to Ibiza following a meteoric year, which has seen the band play in all the most important festivals around the globe... to be able to see a band of this magnitude perform in a perfect sized venue like that was great. Wolf Alice proved that the chemistry between them is extraordinary and that they're able to approach different styles and not only do it well but to sound credible. They certainly managed to find a perfect balance between melody and intensity. Songs like "Your Loves Whore", "You're A Germ", "Bros", "Lisbon", "The Wonderwhy", "Fluffy", "Moaning Lisa Smile" or "Giant Peach" were an assault on the senses, sounding really spectacular.

I loved their powerful live show and it was difficult to take my eyes off them, what an adrenaline rush... as an avid concert goer, I'm happy to report this was probably the finest one I've witnessed this year.

P1340675+-+copia.JPG

Ibiza Rocks has been shaking up the scene in Ibiza since 2005 and with the opening of Ibiza Rocks Hotel in 2008 they reconfigured live music on the island with a successful concept that has been imitated by other party hotels. Now that the concept has been copied endlessly it's time to evolve and seems like 2017 will bring some changes but it's too early to talk about it... the gigs of Slaves, LCD Soundsystem, Kaiser Chiefs, Faithless and Wolf Alice are still too fresh in my memory to start thinking about next season!

Ibiza Rocks said:
We cannot believe it is time for our official #Rocks2016 closing party! Thank you to everyone who has joined us this summer, big up @patricknazemi for being a dream

14374115_1084502738305976_37893306_n.jpg

rbaldwin.audio said:
Tonight show was a little bit different. To close the wednesday night events we went to a more intermet venue, back where ibiza rocks first started off. The Ibiza Rocks Bar! It played host to the wonderful band and crew that is Wolf Alice! Support came from L.A. with Ley DJ amongst regulars Pat Nazemi, Danny Beck and Oli P spinning tunes to complete the night!

14262801_964561036988271_344125862_n.jpg

Wolf Alice setlist:
Your Loves Whore
You're A Germ
Freazy
Bros
Lisbon
90 Mile Beach
Silk
The Wonderwhy
Storms
Fluffy
She
Moaning Lisa Smile
Blush
Giant Peach

1f389.png
Top 10 Moments of #Rocks2016
1f389.png

In at Number 8 on our countdown we pay tribute to where it all began for Ibiza Rocks by closing our season with the mighty Wolf Alice live at Ibiza Rocks Bar, San Antonio!

Ibiza Rocks, the home of live music in Ibiza...

1zh2p3p.gif

Back