I'm Sad.

Wow guys! When I opened this thread several days ago I had no idea it would build up such a momentum. So first I would like to say thanks to all of you who voiced your opinions, you definitely made some very good points that made me optimistic and helped me realize that we must accept the change.

Yes, I will no longer dance on the terrace at 3 PM completely off my face with the sun in my eyes, I won't go to Space at 9 AM to crush the remainders of the night before, I won't do the Sunday - Tuesday marathon of We Love -> DC10 -> Cocoon -> In Bed -> Cox anymore, but I have. I did it, and it will always be with me.

I guess I sometimes feel so down when looking back to these years is because in 2005-2007 I've fell in love with 2 girls there, and the moments I had there were incredible. While 10 years ago those memories haunt me like they were an hour ago, and every Ibiza visit since brings back memories of then. It was just such a majestic time for me.

But I digress, the main point is that I still see that you people love the island, and you will keep supporting it, and believe in the change. Small confession: This year I didn't go not because of money, all my friends are going, but they are all couples/married, and I didn't want to get in the way, so I decided to pass, which I now regret.

Next year, I will definitely be there, and I will absolutely love to meet some of you Spotlighters, maybe even come solo, make new friendships and create amazing new experiences. After 10 years on this board ,and 11 years on the Island, it's definitely time to get to know the gang, meet new people, and maybe you guys can show me a side of Ibiza I've never seen before.

Bless you all, and have a blast at the closing week! Wish I could be there to party with you guys.

Zach

I guess I sometimes feel so down when looking back to these years is because in 2005-2007 I've fell in love with 2 girls there, and the moments I had there were incredible. While 10 years ago those memories haunt me like they were an hour ago, and every Ibiza visit since brings back memories of then. It was just such a majestic time for me.

Zach

I was with you until the girls bit, if I am any use to a woman in Ibiza i am clearly not hammered enough!

Next year, I will definitely be there, and I will absolutely love to meet some of you Spotlighters, maybe even come solo, make new friendships and create amazing new experiences. After 10 years on this board ,and 11 years on the Island, it's definitely time to get to know the gang, meet new people, and maybe you guys can show me a side of Ibiza I've never seen before.

Zach
You won't regret going solo and meeting Spolighters, had some fantastic times and a side of the island I had never seen (although I did spend 15 years in 2 acres of San An and PDB and a narrow strip travelling between the two)

I was with you until the girls bit, if I am any use to a woman in Ibiza i am clearly not hammered enough!

Heh, trust me I was hammered plenty. But I was a also a young 21 year old kid who fell into the magic of the place, the drugs, the experience, and the girls... No regrets.

You won't regret going solo and meeting Spolighters

A few Spotlighters go out without their other halves. Being surrounded by couples "being coupley together" isn't easy to deal with on holiday at the best of times anywhere let alone in Ibiza. Even when I've been "part of a couple" I've absolutely hated going out with other couples :lol:. One of the best things about the place is there are always tonnes of decent people to spend time with and going solo is never a problem, often more of a release !

Heh, trust me I was hammered plenty. But I was a also a young 21 year old kid who fell into the magic of the place, the drugs, the experience, and the girls... No regrets.
I can't imagine any lady could have been attracted to my gurning, dribbling , incoherent self, you mst be a looker!

On a side note, a good set does not need any pyrotechnics. One should be able to grab the audience's attention by the music and not by the show.

The show was as much a part of the deal at Manumission as the music ... plus think back to fireworks over Privilege, fashion parades etc There's been glam big club fiestas sat alongside music-focused parties in Ibiza for decades, and indoor fireworks at Gashouder for example are actually pretty cool. It's the fact they over-use pyros etc. and combine it all with really bad / inane ear-splitting SHM/EDM drivel that's the real problem - the show production becomes what people go to see and the music becomes an accompaniment to it rather than the other way around.

Personally I think clubbers fall into two categories when they visit Ibiza:

A) Those who have heard about it through mainstream artists and only listen to ‘EDM’ with no real specific musical taste. Usually have a lot of money and a lot of likeminded friends who are loud, obnoxious and generally give credence to the bad stereotype of young clubbers. This is now becoming more prevalent as the money floods onto the island.

B) Those who have a vested interest in electronic music, specific genres and DJ’s and who would rather listen to a good, well-structured set than just a DJ throwing tunes in one after another *cough* Hardwell *cough*

Most of the ‘old school’ crowd will fall into category B, having grown up with dance music culture’s evolution and the early days of 90’s rave - but there are plenty of younger clubbers (myself included) who also appreciate the music and see it being overrun by people more akin to Category A.

This ultimately leads to some disillusionment not just from the old guard, but also people like myself who can only see the homogenisation of music and clubs out there and no real ‘unique’ clubbing experiences.

I don’t think this is exclusive to Ibiza though, and echoes the problems at home (UK) with gentrification and homogenisation of nightlife culture. It’s sadly a culture where money talks and genuine creativity is stifled by those looking to rope in gullible people who believe they are having a ‘real Ibiza experience’ listening to Guetta on a weekday afternoon, in Ushuaia, wearing a snapback and oversized vest.

It raises the question if Ibiza will be able to keep the balance between ‘underground’ parties whilst catering to the masses wanting Radio 1 playlists posing in swimming pools.

The time of true clubbing for music taste is probably over.

I can't imagine any lady could have been attracted to my gurning, dribbling , incoherent self, you mst be a looker!

I dug up this old thing, August 2006 in Ibiza:

c52ef6b2ff3c42649ede8a3ff09feef7.png

ea3661eabd7d4c2ab73433660bfcca9e.png

That's the girl I fell for, yes she's British, yes we're both f*cked in this photo, yes, I once had hair :D

Time of my life.

Last edited:

A) Those who have heard about it through mainstream artists and only listen to ‘EDM’ with no real specific musical taste. Usually have a lot of money and a lot of likeminded friends who are loud, obnoxious and generally give credence to the bad stereotype of young clubbers. This is now becoming more prevalent as the money floods onto the island.

B) Those who have a vested interest in electronic music, specific genres and DJ’s and who would rather listen to a good, well-structured set than just a DJ throwing tunes in one after another *cough* Hardwell *cough*

Most of the ‘old school’ crowd will fall into category B, having grown up with dance music culture’s evolution and the early days of 90’s rave - but there are plenty of younger clubbers (myself included) who also appreciate the music and see it being overrun by people more akin to Category A.

This ultimately leads to some disillusionment not just from the old guard, but also people like myself who can only see the homogenisation of music and clubs out there and no real ‘unique’ clubbing experiences.

I don’t think this is exclusive to Ibiza though, and echoes the problems at home (UK) with gentrification and homogenisation of nightlife culture. It’s sadly a culture where money talks and genuine creativity is stifled by those looking to rope in gullible people who believe they are having a ‘real Ibiza experience’ listening to Guetta on a weekday afternoon, in Ushuaia, wearing a snapback and oversized vest.

It raises the question if Ibiza will be able to keep the balance between ‘underground’ parties whilst catering to the masses wanting Radio 1 playlists posing in swimming pools.

There's room for both but they need to stop crushing small venues because that's where the best of the former happen anyway

It's just got harder to find and a bit more erratic. Personally I'm not that bothered about being driven out of mainstream club venues. Started out like that and whilst it's handy the party is about the music and people first and the venue second.

Excellent post

My hunch is ibiza will continue to go down the same path as major european cities - the brash, in your face crap will complete its takeover of the major clubs whilst the good parties will be hidden away in the more rural areas or back streets, secret fincas, bars, villas that are increasingly difficult to access. smart, discerning promoters will advertise more and more guerilla events on the quiet, word of mouth, you need to know 5 people to join a fb group etc etc. it is harder to keep secrets on a small island but it is the only way forward because otherwise the enemy have won.

Back