Fabric

whoaaa, could be nail in the coffin on the horizon sadly, once they are out to get you any excuse will do it seems..

1. no teenagers should be dying on a night out
2. fabric and the police will somehow have to explain to two grieving families what happened, especially after all the hoo-haa and promises last time
3. regardless of what DID happen, fabric will be under extreme pressure now - the temptation may be to end the farringdon connection and move elsewhere - Space would have been an interesting acquisition!... or simply become a homeless brand and stick to the festival circuit
4. London clubbing is changing for commercial/political/cultural reasons - MOS and Fabric are the last of the old guard. As permanent premises/licences become harder to get hold of, everyone is forced to do one-off events, pop-ups, parks, pubs, festivals, arts/music events tied to other stuff.
5. there will be 16 year olds now who may never set foot in a proper British nightclub. that makes me very sad. I always moaned about London clubs/staff/'attitude' etc but I'm now glad I caught the tail end of the heyday.

1. no teenagers should be dying on a night out
2. fabric and the police will somehow have to explain to two grieving families what happened, especially after all the hoo-haa and promises last time
3. regardless of what DID happen, fabric will be under extreme pressure now - the temptation may be to end the farringdon connection and move elsewhere - Space would have been an interesting acquisition!... or simply become a homeless brand and stick to the festival circuit
4. London clubbing is changing for commercial/political/cultural reasons - MOS and Fabric are the last of the old guard. As permanent premises/licences become harder to get hold of, everyone is forced to do one-off events, pop-ups, parks, pubs, festivals, arts/music events tied to other stuff.
5. there will be 16 year olds now who may never set foot in a proper British nightclub. that makes me very sad. I always moaned about London clubs/staff/'attitude' etc but I'm now glad I caught the tail end of the heyday.

Now there's a thought!

Fabric only works in Farringdon IMHO...they've never done ibiza and lovebox this year was the first time they have done a festival.

I really hope they can get through this. The papers are latching onto cases of teenagers taking strong ecstasy in recent weeks and no doubt this will fuel that. I just wish there was more education etc. You have to feel for fabric they have worked so hard recently to build bridges with the community and local authorities etc.

I really hope they can get through this. The papers are latching onto cases of teenagers taking strong ecstasy in recent weeks and no doubt this will fuel that. I just wish there was more education etc

This is the problem though, papers and online media will all jump aboard the bandwagon claiming places like fabric are a hive of drug taking and death and the license holders should be burned at the stake for allowing this to happen.

Obviously I'm saddened to hear of more drug deaths but you will never be able to separate drug culture from the music places like fabric provide - they're (for better or worse) so deeply intertwined that no matter how many clubs are investigated, shut down, or heavily policed you won't get drugs away from people who want to take them on a night out.

Education is key, these kids were obviously inexperienced, obviously didn't have a sober friend (or at least drug-experienced friend) tell them when they'd had enough, or get them the attention they needed quickly enough.

Unfortunately it's easier to just point the stick at nightclubs, demand answers and when things like this continue to happen (which they will) these institutions get closed down and it takes away another part of our culture.

Drugs are not inherently bad things, when done right they can add a very special element and make very memorable experiences, you just have to know what you're doing and have a safety net.

I really, really hope this doesn't spell the end for fabric, it would be a travesty and probably spell the end of what's left of London's underground scene if they have to close :(

Unless Fabric was directly involved in the supply of the drugs which I doubt I personally don't think these two bodies need to give any explanations (in a way which they accept blame). Any drug user knows the risks and if they don't then it's as much the fault government for the lack of a proper drugs education programme.

From my experience Fabric goes to incredible lengths to stop drugs going through the doors. More than many other clubs and events (such as media loving Glastonbury from what I've heard)

Last edited:
License suspended indefinitely, full hearing within 28 days. Fabric have not appealed the decision letting police fully investigate. Gutted for them, the met press release is bullshit too.

Hope Fabric can survive this but it isn't looking good for them unfortunately. Especially given the prime piece of real estate they are sat in...

What a travesty.

I feel as though Islington Council are now on a personal vendetta after they failed to have their way the last time they locked horns with fabric. Unfortunately, the ball is now back in their court so we'll have to see how they spin this one to demand either extremely stringent rules (dogs/ID) or just request it be shut down.

It'll be an extremely sad day if this leads to permanent closure and will affect vast numbers who come to London purely to experience this legendary place.

3 London clubs gone in a week... not good. (Fabric, 338, Dance Tunnel)

Saw something about Egg getting a bit of pressure at the moment too over a few incidents...

3 London clubs gone in a week... not good. (Fabric, 338, Dance Tunnel)

Saw something about Egg getting a bit of pressure at the moment too over a few incidents...

What annoys me most is how the police / local government / authorities always choose the easier option to just shut these places even though they’re fully aware it isn’t the root cause of the problem.

One of the articles leading off from the DJ Mag used a good analogy about how when a jewelry shop suffers a break in, it is considered a victim of crime, rather than a perpetrator of it for supplying goods worth stealing. Yet when a nightclub suffers a death of one of its customers it, for some reason, is the culprit and should be punished.

All that will happen when these places close is individuals will find other ways to get high and enjoy themselves. Be that through legitimate channels and go abroad to places with a more modern approach to dance music culture such as Berlin or Amsterdam. Or, push them onto the streets into illegal raves or house parties which are far more likely to cause deaths simply down to lack of security, organisation and the inevitable clashes with police.

But as usual, we can rant and rave until we’re blue in the face – but as long as the government claim to be ‘doing something’, they can chalk up numbers and spout made up statistics about how it’s ‘better for the community’ to force places to close instead of deal with the real issues at hand.

1. The Police/council have got to be seen as doing something. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
2. Government don't get revenue from sale of illegal drugs.

Back