Years & Years + Blonde @ Ibiza Rocks (17-06-15)

McRackin

Super Moderator
Last night marked the start of Ibiza Rocks' 10th anniversary season, during which we'll see live the likes of Catfish & The Bottlemen, The Libertines, Slaves, De La Soul or The Courteeners, just to name the ones I'm looking forward to the most.

On arrival I was greeted by a long queue of people around the block, not only because it was going to be a pretty busy night but also because now on wednesdays and fridays they open the doors at 8pm (instead of 7). Once inside, I was curious to see the announced changes at the hotel, the most visible one being the addition of a new VIP area to the right side of the stage (where the stage used to be before they relocated it in 2013).

P1180337+-+copia.JPG

Along with the resident Patrick Nazemi, Silvia Superstar (who was already invited to get behind the decks for last summer's closing with Dan Croll and Bombay Bicycle Club) warmed up nicely to kick things off. The singer of the Spanish Pop-Punk band Killer Barbies also dj'd later for Rock Nights, who are hosting the guest list only afterparty at Pikes for second year.

P1180343+-+copia.JPG

Continuing with their tradition of bringing high quality new talent to the island, Deep House production duo Blonde were the first act of the summer to take the Rocks stage.

The fact the two Bristolians have a total of seven dates in Ibiza this summer (for example before yesterday at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel new Colada Club pool party) proves that they're such a hot name right now, although yesterday was the only one with the full live band. The audience erupted in delight as they started with the hit single "I Loved You", that was followed by irresistible songs such as "Superhero", "Foolish" or "All Cried Out" thanks to which Jacob Manson and Adam Englefield (co-founder of Eton Messy) had the audience in the palm of their hands. To top it all, they finished with the classic 90's hit "Rhythm Of The Night" by Corona.

Blonde definitely got us in the mood for a great night!

P1180423+-+copia.JPG

Back in January, Years & Years won the BBC Sound of 2015 award so who better to book for the opening? Fronted by charismatic actor and singer Olly Alexander, the London trio went from promising new act to worldwide sensation in no time without even having an album out thanks to the massive hit "King".

Olly, Emre and Mikey (backed on the road by Dylan on drums) dazzled us with their effective Electro-Pop with big and hooky choruses. Undoubtedly what makes their songs special is Olly's soft and gentle vocal style, that separates them from other acts. They played almost in its integrity their debut studio album Communion (due to be released in three weeks) including the singles "Take Shelter", "Desire" (tune!), "Real" and the mentioned "King" to finish, plus others like "Worship", "Shine" (their next single) or the b-side "Breathe" (a Blu Cantrell cover).

Time will tell but seems like Years & Years are set to hit it big time!

P1180724+-+copia.JPG

More pictures, both setlists, etc will be posted at some point during the next few days...

Tickets for next week with Sigma and Krept & Konan are available here.

Blonde setlist:
I Loved You
Superhero
All Night
Foolish
Nothing Like This
Feel Good
Jessica Knows
All Cried Out
Rhythm Of The Night [Corona]

Years & years setlist:
Foundation