Diabetic and working the summer?

Hello, could somebody give me some advice on the situation of working in Ibiza for 2 .3 months and being able to get insulin please? I'm a uk citizen and don't know how health care is over there? Thank you

Not posted here in a while but saw this and thought I'd try and help being Type 1 myself although never been to Ibiza for more than a week at a time.

I think the best advice would be to try and take plenty with you (keep in hand luggage, not in suitcase when flying out there) and it must remain in the fridge - although make sure the fridge is not too cold as I've had insulin freeze before and that's as bad as cooking it. Invest in a FRIO pouch as you can use this if desperate and it's easy to pack. Don't forget to take some ID with you saying you are diabetic and take some high sugar food/drink (NOT alcohol) for hypos; nothing worse than having a hypo on a good night out). I normally carry Dextro tablets but fruit juice and/or full fat coke may be better here as easier to get. Your doctor or hospital can provide a note for airport security saying you need to carry certain medication on bard the plane, there may be a small charge for this but would be a wise investment.

Assuming you use a pen take plenty of needles and somewhere to get rid of them.

Insulin in the UK is 100ui, if you need spare I'm sure you can get it over there just make sure that number is the same as other countries may use different concentrations.

Beware of any shots etc they are full of sugar, so keep an eye on blood sugar levels; a hypo will make you feel like shit for a while, but high sugars will also and make you drink more and very quickly not to mention the risk of DKA.

Have fun and let us know how you get on. Wish I'd done this when I was a bit younger!

Back