Dreaming of Ibiza....

Col-ez

Hi there!

Like many on this forum, I am also planning on throwing in the proverbial towel and saying goodbye to London in search for a more fulfilling life in Ibiza. I have read many of the complications that people have faced on this forum but I guess everybody’s situation is slightly different. I have been to Ibiza around 10 times on holiday and really feel we could adapt to life there.

It would be myself, girlfriend and or 2 beautiful girls (aged 5 and 1) moving. I work in the football analysis industry. I can’t really take my work with me but should be able to do a little bit of project work remotely (certainly not enough to provide for the family) but at least it is something. I have done a TEFL, (though it was around 8 years ago, I am looking at doing a refresher course). I, like most other people, would be happy to do any work to pay the bills. One benefit of our situation is that we have made money on our flat in London so should be able to buy a property in Ibiza outright mortgage-free. So we really just need enough money for utility bills, food and petrol.

What I would like to know is:

Is English teaching a reasonably safe option for income over there? Do positions come around very often?

Is there much chance of obtaining bar/café/restaurant/shop/cleaning work in winter (knowing basic Spanish)?

Is it worth the risk?!!! I am thinking if we don’t do it now (whilst we are selling our flat and relatively young), will we ever do it!!? Probably not

We probably will have enough money to buy a home and have around 1 year in savings in case we don’t find work as quickly as we hope.

I really feel it is now or never whilst the girls are young enough to adapt into new surroundings and learning environments.

We’re planning to visit Ibiza for a week at the end of May to start to make enquiry’s.

What do you guys think? Reckon we’re in with a decent shout??

Cheers

Ben

your story is similar to mine and my gf - except we aint got children. we lived in Cyprus previously and whilst it cant exactly be compared we found that those people with the best work ethic will find work. Be prepared to work for less but you offset that against the lifestyle/weather and you'll soon know if it is worth it.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything straight away.... maybe come over and rent for a while to get a taste of the place (especially in winter!)..... (But looking at the date of the original post you might already be here?) (2014!)

Hi there!

Like many on this forum, I am also planning on throwing in the proverbial towel and saying goodbye to London in search for a more fulfilling life in Ibiza. I have read many of the complications that people have faced on this forum but I guess everybody’s situation is slightly different. I have been to Ibiza around 10 times on holiday and really feel we could adapt to life there.

It would be myself, girlfriend and or 2 beautiful girls (aged 5 and 1) moving. I work in the football analysis industry. I can’t really take my work with me but should be able to do a little bit of project work remotely (certainly not enough to provide for the family) but at least it is something. I have done a TEFL, (though it was around 8 years ago, I am looking at doing a refresher course). I, like most other people, would be happy to do any work to pay the bills. One benefit of our situation is that we have made money on our flat in London so should be able to buy a property in Ibiza outright mortgage-free. So we really just need enough money for utility bills, food and petrol.

What I would like to know is:

Is English teaching a reasonably safe option for income over there? Do positions come around very often?

Is there much chance of obtaining bar/café/restaurant/shop/cleaning work in winter (knowing basic Spanish)?

Is it worth the risk?!!! I am thinking if we don’t do it now (whilst we are selling our flat and relatively young), will we ever do it!!? Probably not

We probably will have enough money to buy a home and have around 1 year in savings in case we don’t find work as quickly as we hope.

I really feel it is now or never whilst the girls are young enough to adapt into new surroundings and learning environments.

We’re planning to visit Ibiza for a week at the end of May to start to make enquiry’s.

What do you guys think? Reckon we’re in with a decent shout??

Cheers

Ben

Ben it took 9 months for somebody to reply to your post !!!

See y latter

Back