Privilege

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1183

Best club in the world in the 80's , home of Manumission in the 90's till mid 2000's.

I don't know why this legendary club isn't successful anymore!
since manumission nothing has been very successful (supermarxte, tiesto and asot was working well) but nothing to compare from the past.

So i'm wondering that now that the EDM thing is bigger than ever why "dj" like Avicci, hardwell, guetta and co don't make their own night in this club?

So i'm wondering that now that the EDM thing is bigger than ever why "dj" like Avicci, hardwell, guetta and co don't make their own night in this club?

before any of those artists do a residency in privilege, the venue needs a big investment in refurbishment. I'm not talking about fixing a few things here and there and a bit of fresh paint, but a PROPER 'bring it up to scratch' action - which for a place like that can cost millions. I mean it's not as bad as about 5-6 years ago, but sometimes you gotta say the truth: the club is currently simply not up to standard. and as privilege's future after 2016 is pretty uncertain, I do understand why currently no big investments are made.

that said, I totally agree that IF the club did get refurbished and put on the same level as the rest of the clubs, it would make a perfect home for the big EDM guys. It would then again need a lot of money to actually make them play there (if still under the same ownership as now), but I personally think a few of them might enjoy playing a real night time slot on the island. let's see what happens in two years!

Never understood why they don't go down the Ibiza Rocks type nights route but get in BIG acts. The likes of the Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy or Kasabian live each week with supporting DJs. They could all pull a crowd of 10,000 easy each week and the setting would be perfect.

Primal Scream at Amnesia a few years ago did something similar with DJs and then the band and it was a brilliant night.

Never understood why they don't go down the Ibiza Rocks type nights route but get in BIG acts. The likes of the Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy or Kasabian live each week with supporting DJs. They could all pull a crowd of 10,000 easy each week and the setting would be perfect.

Primal Scream at Amnesia a few years ago did something similar with DJs and then the band and it was a brilliant night.

did they not try that a few years ago
a mix of dance acts and more dancey pop acts
IIRC Faithless, Kylie etc

couldn't have been profitable or else they'd try that again

yes they did to that. but to make that work you need huge names every week over at least two months if not more. one or two weeks with a bit weaker names and gone are the good numbers.

Totally agree.

They need to have a night each week with big names. Get The Chemical Brothers signed up for a Friday night every week for two months with supporting DJs and it would be huge. People would travel just to see them and I am sure they would love two months in Ibiza where they could make money and work on music in between.

Don't understand paying a DJ £150,000 a night when you could yet a decent band for that amount.

Also,use it as a venue. The second busiest venue in the world now is the Hydro in Glasgow.12,500 capacity and it attracts everyone,from The Who to Lady Gaga.

The capacity is there and it doesn't necearily mean it has to be dance music. You have people who are even more likely to want a big night or to see their favourite group because they are on holiday. Again people would make a holiday around a group or act they wanted to see and it would hugely benefit Ibiza as a whole (might help to fill some of those five start hotels)

hmmm as much as I like the chems, I am not sure they'd fill privilege week in week out nowadays dirk.

you know, it's interesting to see how many different venues and promoters have failed with live artists. over the last years, various promoters tried it (come together, beat & raw come to mind for example, plus one-offs in privilege), but none lasted more than a season or two. ibiza rocks is the exception and IMO this is because their venue isn't huge. but even IR are doing more and more electronic stuff nowadays.

even palladium group (ushuaïa / HRH) last year had to learn that if you have a big venue, you won't make it with a b-list live artists in ibiza.

Stivi , is it true that the future of space is uncertain as well like privilege?
I know that the boss is Pepe Rosello but the land is from the matutes family right? I have heard that maybe they will built a new space venue on the island!(maybe just rumors) has it will cost millions to rebuilt a club like that, taking to account also that Pepe is not very young and not sure he could still running space in 10 years time.

Chemical Brothers wouldn't sell 10,000 tickets, especially with the choice of nights you have now. Maybe 10 years ago.

10984113_10153153770679349_5998149008171607504_n.jpg

They are teasing something! Interested to see what it could be...! Only club with nothing confirmed so far isn't it?

It' s very sad that elrow didn't stay there , in my personal taste, elrow was much better in Vista club than space, love that room especially in the morning when it's sunrise time and you can see Ibiza town, this place is amazing even back then when it was cocoloco. Do you know why the change location? maybe just because a promotor having his night at space is probably much rewarding than in privilege!

Elrow was so much better when it was in the Vista club, I really like that venue too but didnt go last year at all, was thinking about Reverse the techno night, but apparently that had been struggling to get the numbers in.

Shame really, Privilege is a great club, and its great to walk around when fully open, love the multi level garden too.. they should really try and open it up for day time parties, be great if they could open the roof up again too, no idea when the last time they did that was, the thing has probably rusted shut!

Apart from the Radipo One weekend, it doesn't seem to go for the big djs or promotors anymore, im sure if Cream moved there for example that would work very well

I haven't been to Privilege since MONZA Closing Party 2009, and have probably been to Ibiza 20 times since then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back