El_Loco's 4 weeks of bliss

el_loco

this year for my 8th trip to ibiza I did 4 weeks. as this is quite a long time I'd like to do my review in the form of handing out awards again. here we go:

biggest ibiza - shooting star: RECONDITE. though in many ways this was the big summer for ilario alicante I think I have to give this award to one of my producer-heroes at the moment. along with other new berlin techno-artists like rodhad or answer code request this man stands out. I loved his last album and had a great time at his ENTER main room set.

best new night: rumors @ beachhouse. great vibe, gerber in a good mood and always a packed beach. plus: this location will always have a special place in my heart.

worst night: ENTER Closing. I had two legendary ENTER parties this season so it really came as a big surprise to me that I did not enjoy the closing. maybe my expectations were to high after the cocoon closing marathon or I personally just didn't feel it this particular night. the biggest disappointment of the night were tale of us. I knew they would be dark and moody but I found them simply boring, and I heard almost all of their set. crowned by a really bad set by richie no matter when I tried the main room (he played more or less ambient at around 7.30) I'm trying to forget about this night.

best party: cocoon. did three of them plus the closing-after at destino and these parties were unmatched. especially sven's main room set one week before the actual closing party was nothing short of legendary.

best set: apollonia all night long @ ENTER. Sorry Rich, no "discovering" and "exploring" this time, the guys got me glued to the terrace from first to last record. loved them!! also ghenacia and shonky's warmup for sven's beachhouse-set was awesome.

worst set: tapesh at ants. not that he can't mix but considering the tracks he selects he should open for axwell or avicii and not at ushuaias only underground night.

loser of the season: gatecrasher. what a close race as last season's greatest loser privilege had an even worse season in my opinion than last year. but as you probably all know the story behind gatecrasher this season it had to be them of course.

worst marketing idea: keeping the clandestin label for trance. what the hell was space thinking?! last season they tried to establish an underground night under this label. when they secured ferry corsten (which was great) you would have thought they'd get rid of the name again. no - now clandestin suddenly should stand for trance music. the hell?!

best billboard: origins by luciano. loved the artwork, really beautiful. had to get the t-shirt though i didn't enjoy luciano's sets this season.

worst billboard: supermartxe. they've always been provocative but in a rather cool way. now they are just a cheap mess.

most overused party theme: tribes/natives/"indians". everywhere at tribal sessions/origins/a tribe called paradise. remains the question: who was first and who stole from whom?

disappointment of the season: ANTS. I loved this party last season and it won my best new night award. Great was my disappointment when I had to see how commercial this event got this season. Yes, we are still a long way from the EDM nights at ushuaia but some of the music was really bad that night and don't get me started on the visuals and special effects. lasers, LEDs and an outright ugly metal construction in front of the DJs - what the hell was that supposed to be anyways - really got me wishing I had gone to the zoo project instead.

track of the season - most played: Oliver & - Pushing on // Patrick Topping - Forget.
track of the season - personal favourite: Gary Beck - Get Together. As played countless times by Sven :)

surprise of the season: richie hawtin playing "Age of Love". ENTER main room at around 6, and also the rest of hawtin's set that night was amazing!

best club: once again space. awesome lineups and residents, best security, best organization at the door, best staff, best sound system and with the terrace my favourite floor on this island. plus it's amazing what ENTER is doing to this club every week. This season I found richie finally got the main room right, with introducing more colour and mind-blowing visuals. ENTER main used to be the scariest place in ibiza ;-)

best compilation of the summer: ENTER. Especially the set of matador stood out for me.

best non-club experience: going SUP in cala xuclar in the north of the island. amazing!

biggest pain in the ass: driving in ibiza town and getting into one of the autumn-storms that turned the streets into wild rivers. yes, it was just like you've seen in the newspapers. SCARY!!

douche of the year: steve aoki. "mh, why do I put my face only once on the billboards when there is still room for more of my face. I'll put my face twice on my billboards. take that, superstar djs". jerk!

the 'gotta be kidding me' award: the discobus driver who stubbornly refused to give back my money as I noticed I'm in the wrong bus and got off before the journey. what an asshole.

special award for outstanding contribution: the pizza at picaro in playa d'en bossa. thank you for everything :)

Ace. :) Enter closing was my fave night, but then I only went out 3 nights and sadly the music wasn't what I had hoped for the others. Plus I was pretty wasted going to Enter! Ha. Ah a couple of days earlier and we would have been there for Cocoon closing. Sigh. Hopefully next year. Seeing Richie and Sven back to back at Cocoon going back a good few years was one of my favourite nights of all time.

worst billboard: supermartxe. they've always been provocative but in a rather cool way. now they are just a cheap mess.
they've always been ridiculously bad!

btw, the san carlos peeps taking the piss...

10374434_970089896340818_861717657124040916_n.jpg

surprise of the season: richie hawtin playing "Age of Love". ENTER main room at around 6, and also the rest of hawtin's set that night was amazing

Was this on the 11th Sept Party? Everyone went nuts when that came on.

I wasn't gonna do a review of my 3 weeks as it was just too much to type and i've other stuff happening in my life at the minute now but after reading this i think i'll do one of these with maybe a few extra Awards thrown in...

:)

Back