Car hire -fuel

Connor

Does anybody know when you rent a car, does the car come with fuel (petrol, diesel) already in the vehicle or do you have to top it up.

When returning the vehicle do you have to top it up again to the level it was when you rented it?

I know it is common courtesy to re fuel the car but I'm just wondering does anyone have experiences to share.

Thanks

It all depends on what you sign up for; full tank to empty,which is quite common,you will be charged at top $$$ and asked to bring back empty (almost impossible on a 7 day hire). Full to full,you will be charged for the fuel if not replaced + a service charge. With a 3 day or less hire the full/full should apply. Obviously full/full is the way to go. Also check out excess insurance.

Thanks Simon. I'm only going to be renting it for 2 days, pick up Friday and leave back on Sunday.

So when you order the car do they ask you how much you would like or how do the options work?

The only option is what company you go with,then it's usually policy one way or the other.
Having said that, I've had half full to half full,(ideal for 7 days) and even empty to empty...with a promise that there was at least 50kms worth in the tank (there was). On a short rental you will probably just be asked to return the car as it was (like for like) so a little top up. Whoever you choose try and read their T&Cs before you book.

Back