7 days of excess 9-16/8/14

Pancho

Booked way way back in December, the plan was 7 nights, 12 people, 1 villa in PDB and all the partying we could possibly handle. And that's pretty much what we did!

This would be my 3rd trip so naturally the organising was all left to me. Find the villa, pick the nights, book the flights etc etc. Not that I really minded but it's very difficult trying to cater for all 11 people and yourself, so inevitably concessions had to be made. If I go again it will be with a small group who really know their music.

My friend's tastes are very commercial, with three of them having virtually no interest in House music. When we got back I really questioned why they came. If you want a week of DnB, Dubstep and EDM, you're on the wrong plane!!

Despite all that moaning I still had a great trip and will certainly be back.

So... The review:

Friday 8th August:

One of the main drawbacks of living on the pretty island of Jersey is the overpriced and poorly scheduled flights to the mainland. This meant flying to Gatwick the night before and staying at Premier Inn to catch our 7.30am flight to Ibiza.

The excitement and anticipation on the flight was incredible. Only two of us had been before, the other 10 had truly no idea what to expect.

We sat in the Premier Inn bar swapping previous holiday stories and enjoying far too many beers than was really sensible with such a big week ahead of us. The last of us wandered off to bed around 1.30am, to be awoken less than 3 hours later by our alarms

Will try and write up a day at a time but to be honest i'm still struggling to handle life

Will try and write up a day at a time but to be honest i'm still struggling to handle life

:lol: ... that's something which never changes when you come back from Ibiza - takes about 4 days to get yourself remotely together even after 2-3 day trip :eek:. jackmontandon speaks wisely

Saturday 9th August:

Awoke at 4.30am feeling horrendous, i'm really not a morning person at the best of times but after 8 or 9 Stellas and a double Tallisker on the rocks as a night cap I was feeling rougher than fresh sandpaper. Quick shower and stumble down to the Premier Inn reception for a coffee and smoke. Seeing everyone else so excited helped blow the cobwebs out but it wasn't the ideal start to what would be a very long day.

Stumbled through security and onto the plane without incident, except having to explain very slowly to my friends that you cant buy duty free and that vodka is so cheap in Ibiza its not really worth lugging it all the way there. (10Eur for a bottle of Smirnoff at most supermarkets)

We had booked with Thomson but it was a Norwegian flight. Was really impressed by the plane and the service. Best of all food and drinks were sensibly priced. The plane also had on-board WiFi for those who cant bare to be without Facebook for more than 5 minutes. Unfortunately seats were pre allocated and the group was spread all over the plane, sat at the very back in a window seat I did the sensible thing and went to sleep.
Woke up as the plane crossed the Pyrenees and the flight attendant offered me a drink, great timing!

We approached from the north, following the west coast. As we passed San Antonio my iPod must have known where we were: Mark Knight's Man with the Red Face started playing, just what I needed to wake me up and get me in the mood.

Landed at around 11.30am, itching to get out of the airport I stormed towards the taxi queue, the rest of the party bumbling around like it was there first time away from home. It became apparent that I was the only one who had bothered to take note where the villa was so it was up to me to direct all three taxis. It frustrates me that when travelling with a group most people just want to sit back and follow the leader. Any ability to organise themselves seemed to have been left in Jersey!

A short taxi ride to Playa and we were outside the villa, as expected the cleaners were still straightening the place out but we were met with smiles and they were happy to look after our bags. The heat was unbearable so we all changed and headed out for some food and beers.

Ate at Café Dausol, nothing spectacular but good portion sizes and reasonable prices. Quick bit of shopping for groceries, towels and pool toys. Headed back to the villa to find the cleaners had finished, had the tour and talk, handed over the keys and said bye to the Rep. Time to get stuck in!

Bags were hurled in to rooms and we were back on the street flagging down the first taxis in sight to take us to Zoo Project.

I love the Zoo, and headliners last year Maribou State were top of the bill again tonight. So a fantastic start to the week was assured. We got straight in with no queue and round to the bar for a jug of vodka limon each. At 20eur each they sound pricey but you get at least 1/4 bottle of spirits in each one, and one is usually enough to get me in the mood. Arriving pretty early (around 6pm) meant the main stage was still pretty quiet but the Seal Pit was already busy, we found a spot and got straight into it. Some say Zoo Project is for posers but I think if that were so the music would be very very different. You certainly wont here any chart music there. Sure, the girls (and boys) make a real effort with makeup, costumes etc but it's the music that sets the mood for the place.

I don't know who was playing but the music was spot on, tribal house getting everyone going. We left the seal pit a few times for drinks/toilet stops, checking out each area on the way. At some point I managed to lose my girlfriend, then lost everyone. Being an idiot I had decided to leave my phone in the safe at the villa. I spent the next two hours (Est. no phone = no time) till closing searching for my friends :(

I should have just accepted they were probably somewhere and carried on having a good time but I instead missed Maribou State B2B with Pedestrian. I then spent another hour in the taxi queue, only to be kicked out just as I reached the front because the bouncers wanted to put the barriers away. Had to get in an illegal taxi with a bunch of other stranded souls to get back to PDB.

Not the start to the holiday I'd really wanted, was feeling pretty down about the whole thing when I got back to the villa...

I'm tempted to go for Opening week next year, August/September is always a really busy time for me anyway so maybe going at the start of the season would work out better. Has anyone been before, how busy is it?

The illegal taxi dropped me at Sankeys round the corner from my villa, on the walk home I was thinking of what a funny story i'll have to tell them all. Got to the villa, lights were off, doors were closed. No one home ''Hmm maybe I beat them home? Maybe they went to San An?'' Got my phone out the safe to find a load of texts and missed calls. Rang one of the group, they were all already at Pacha... My blood boiled, why the f*** would they come home, get ready to go out then leave without me? By now I was pretty annoyed. I grabbed some supplies and got in a cab to Pacha around 2am. Bob Sinclar and Sidney Sampson were playing, the last thing I would have picked had it been up to me. At least i'd be able to meet them all there and could try to get my night back on track..

i've not been opening parties before but i imagine the clubs are really busy but the island not as much. that's what it was like when i went for the closing parties a few years ago.
i feel your pain about pacha, i'd only ever go for Solomun i reckon, last time i went was for Luciano and left within 1 hour.

Good review so far, thats one of the problems with going with a big group to ibiza, trying to organise and what not! Pacho And Benjamn6 , i quite fancy the openings aswell and never done them either! Maybe get a little group together ? Would be awesome to go with like minded people for a change!

So one minute they are acting like helpless toddlers not knowing what's going on and asking to be "organized" .... the next they're making decisions for themselves, self-organizing and managing to get themselves to Pacha without so much as a bye or leave. Or any thought whatsoever for where you are, whether you're OK or whether you want to come with them. Honestly .... :rolleyes: Read the signs and do your own thing !!! :D

i'm looking at going 31/5-3or4 of june, that way i'll get ammensia and space opening. i think dc10 opening will be the week before though but i'll get dc10 week2. i'll be going with the mrs and another couple. you be going solo srobertson?

I like Zoo project...on Saturday you dont have much options for big daytime parties...
Ushuaia An'ts party is the only party i can bear there because i dont like very much the policy of this club with their commercial menu....
Quiet Frustrating when you plan stuff & you loose people once in a club(some forget their cell phone), it happened in DC10's opening ...lost 2 mates, cant find another mate that join us(we are supposed to go there 4 of us,because of battery issue, met a guy from spotlight after texting each other along 01h00 :where r you? just at entrance door of main room close to shopping area...I was not in the mood to follow him as he wanted to go inside with his mate & it was too rammy for me (i was beaten, too & feets are burning , Dc10 ws the 4th day partying :eek: ...i left the club at midnight, landed there at 7.00 pm..my worst night of Ibiza opening,planning to be back at 3.00am after a good dinner but i felt asleep in my bed :spank:, i regret not to follow the spotlight guy with his mate, but this day i was in a bad mood :oops:, i should do what i ve decided first ,seeing legend Cesar del rio & Isaac Indart at bora bora ibiza white passion party opening,but did not know the time of their timetable, even i wrote to Cesar, he did not answer ,at 6.00 pm he was not there...i should hang in bora bora,see him on the Decks ,salute him , having a picture & then join my mates at Dc10...wtf with Dc10? u can' get close to the Djs ...& pricey.i pay 70€ instead of regular 50€...as some poeple take advantage of the situation, i did not beleive a rp the morning when he told us..the 10 last tickets at 55€..:lol: & i did not want to go to DC 10 but mates keep on telling me DC10!DC10! even i did not really enjoy the 2 times ive been to dc10, ok i 'll give a try as it's the opening...) past years :D:I don't understand why people like this place...too little ,victim of their succes...Enjoy more Zoo project as u ve got place to Dance to chill out..
I ve done the opening for the first time this year...last year just one week after the opening...Well with all parties seen on August event the worst period for many reasons, ill go on august 3 weeks for sure in 2015..many of my contacts in Paris were in Ibiza all along August including some Parisian Djs(they invite me to private party :cool:) & so many options than the opening(I miss Cox B day,Limbo Parties @ Km5, Glitterbox parties @ Boom & many many daytime parties with Ibz legend Djs :mad: ).....I miss so many djs i follow in Ibiza as their parties were launch after the opening periods....& maybe other 3 weeks for Closing or opening...

i'm looking at going 31/5-3or4 of june, that way i'll get ammensia and space opening. i think dc10 opening will be the week before though but i'll get dc10 week2. i'll be going with the mrs and another couple. you be going solo srobertson?

yeah i'll be going solo mate, my mates are more into the EDM shite...so would be pretty decent to go with people in the same boat so to speak

Sorry for not getting this up sooner, been really busy with work and life since I got back. Anyways..

Got to Pacha, found my friends. Tried hard to forget about earlier and get into it, but the music was awful. Bob Sinclar was on in the main room when I arrived, with Sidney Sampson taking over later on. It was the same bilge you get in any mediocre club anywhere in the world. Really heavy, noisy EDM and hip hop influenced 'club' music. The club was also rammed, the worst ive ever seen Pacha. I made for the roof terrace, there was space, air and best of all, house music!

By 5am I was starting to feel pretty burnt out. I had lost everyone again - most of them wanted to stay downstairs. Fine by me, there were plenty of people to talk to on the roof. I phoned one of them: ''Oh, we're already back at the villa, we thought you'd gone.'' Another f***ing taxi by myself. Got back to the villa, by then so tired I didn't have the energy to be angry. Chilled for a little while round the pool with everyone, most of them were still tucking in to the supplies. To me that's a highway to nowhere. Had a joint, went to bed in my brutally hot, AC free room around 7am..

PS.
The room to the right once you go through the front entrance (Global Room) had what I thought was Kareoke on at one point. I must have been seeing things, does anyone know what was actually going on in there that night?

Last edited:
Sunday 10th August

Woke up feeling pretty alright, same couldn't be said for some of the group who were still smashing it. Each to their own but I knew they would be ruined by midnight.

Two of us walked down to the Strip to buy some beers and have a look around. I'd heard about Bora Bora but never been so we walked down the beach to have a look. Wow! I couldn't believe how busy it was! Bora Bora itself were playing pretty cheesy EDM stuff but the crowd were loving it and looked like they'd been enjoying it for some time. Some seriously twisted people at 7pm. Fair play if they actually made it out, I know I wouldn't have. We chilled with a few beers people watching. We should have stayed longer but between us we had about 10 euros and no supplies. We'd only gone out to buy some beers, half of which we drank before getting home! Next time I'll make a day of it at Bora Bora, well, the pool party next door, the music was much more to my liking. Does anyone know what the deal is with the pool party? do you need to be a resident or is it open to all? On the walk back the PRs advertising the Loco Dice-We Love Takeover at Space told us Carl Cox was the so far unannounced special guest! Oh Yes Oh Yes is all I could think. We were planning to go anyway but getting to see Carl Cox would be the icing on the cake! :D

Back to the villa, bit of dinner, a few lines and it time for Space, a 15 minute walk from the villa. Arrived at Space around 1.30am, through the front doors, HOLY SHIT its busy! Last year I went to the We Love 20th birthday, it felt twice as busy as that. We got a drink in El Salon, I'd never been in there before, its a nice place to chill if its all getting a bit much. Watched a bit of Josh Wink on the Terrace before the obligatory fag break. The roof terrace was ridiculous, so many people we couldn't get much further than the top of the stairs. I think Chuck Flask was on, the vibe was good, but it was so rammed I couldn't even see the stage. I'd wanted to see Nightmares on Wax up there later on but abandoned the idea pretty quick.

The guys in our group that had been partying through the day had soon had enough and left around 3, to me that's a waste of a ticket. It ended up just 2/12 of us in the main room. Chris Liebing was incredible, I've never been into techno, but the relentless focus of the music and the intensity of the crowd really made it feel special, Loco Dice also played for a while, good, but Liebing turned me to techno, cant get enough of it now! At about 6am we went back to the Terrace, the crowd had thinned quite a bit and there was plenty of room, no idea who was playing, it was tech house and it was pretty intense. I could of stayed till closing but my friend was starting to come down. Despite being completely in to commercial house/EDM he loved it. Hopefully another techno convert ;)

7am Walked home and saw two lads ringing the bell of the brothel across the street from our villa. And being let in ! :eek: Brave boys! The only thing I could manage by then was a joint, some fruit and a good sleep!

Same dates I was looking at yesterday.

Space Opening would probably be the weekend before. Would get VIVA Warriors & Ants Openings though.
That's if they are the same dates as this year.

Last edited:
i think amnesia (saturday), space (sunday) and DC10 (monday) openings are all on the of their respective last days in May. so DC10 would be 25/5, amnesia 30/5 then space 31/5. i might be wrong though, Stivi would prob be able to confirm or correct me.

i think amnesia (saturday), space (sunday) and DC10 (monday) openings are all on the of their respective last days in May. so DC10 would be 25/5, amnesia 30/5 then space 31/5. i might be wrong though, Stivi would prob be able to confirm or correct me.

Back