2014 The Quietest Season in the west end

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going in September with about 10 Ibiza virgins so hope it's not too quiet or they'll think I've been lying about how good Ibiza is :D

The problem is when people think Ibiza they think expensive. And it is. There are two markets that Ibiza attracts.

Type A - The repeat customer who is usually mid twenties but has been before, by now has a good job with plenty of disposable income and is really in to their music and has their favourite DJs. Then there is Type B the "just finished their A Levels" skint-ish student types who just want to get pissed every night, doesn't matter where it is or what events they go to.

Ibiza wants to attract type A but because club tickets and club drinks are so expensive they will only go to 3-4 big nights a week to see select DJs and would rather do something productive during the day time than sleep off a hangover like they used to. This means pre drinking in their hotel/villa and not visiting the local bars much other than for food. The VIP/all inclusive experience that Ushuaia are doing brilliantly are catering for 1% of tourists who have the cash but also have the cash to go anywhere else in the world and for the VIP experience, Vegas can't be beaten (in my opinion) and ironically 50% of space in Pacha are catering for this 1%.

Ibiza wants and doesn't want the Type Bs. It wants to remain THE party island destination for further generations but for the cost they'd rather go to Magaluf/Malia etc where your Euro goes further. In order for the smaller bars to stay open, they need people to visit who aren't going to the big clubs every night, yet drink prices are still sometimes high which defeats the whole object. This is probably why Gatecrasher isn't doing so well. Why pay 25-30E to go to a mediocre club night and spend 10E+ a drink when you can get smashed in the West End for the same price? The type As won't give Gatecrasher a go because it attracts these Type Bs and a Type A would rather spend more money to segregate themselves away from the riff raff in VIP sections or "VIP only" places such as Ocean Beach that attracts the TOWIE type (even if they're putting a bottle of champagne on a credit card they're going to struggle to pay off!)

The truth is its not about the music for a lot of people anymore, it's just about looking good and taking selfies to show everyone how rich they are. Come next year a lot of people are put off the idea of another week in Ibiza because they are fully aware of the costs involved and are probably still paying off last years holiday. Why spend £3k in Ibiza again when you can try something new and travel Thailand for about the same price? Flights and hotels are relatively cheap, it's purely down to the cost of alcohol in the clubs. Surely if vodka redbulls were around 7E they'd sell an awful lot more? Surely if they removed large VIP only sections full of posers holding the same glass of champagne for 3 hours they'd make more money?
Sorry if I rambled I'm really hungover lol. Bottom line is, I'm really looking forward to visiting again in September but hope I don't end up paying an arm or a leg to listen to some good music and get a bit tipsy.

the economic model of ibiza , this is partially true.

you are focusing on age related cluster of population. from really young to mid 20's and 30's.
I think there are others too. Older moneyed people that do not even party in clubs.
And also the residents of ibiza.

The odd case out of the economic model would be the sunglass sellers and the culture of mafia or underground economic model which is unaccounted for. Oh! and the really wealthy people that come from america or europe that come to pay exhorbitant fees.

That would be a more complex and complete scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
We should be glad that Ibiza still attracts the super rich and the social elite. It's wonderful to rub elbows with the cream of society. But the prices are sometimes crazy! Here is a quote from Pacha:

"Reserve your VIP table at Pacha. 200.00€ per person. Bottles start at 325.00€ and include 12 mixers."

:eek:

We should be glad that Ibiza still attracts the super rich and the social elite. It's wonderful to rub elbows with the cream of society. But the prices are sometimes crazy! Here is a quote from Pacha:

"Reserve your VIP table at Pacha. 200.00€ per person. Bottles start at 325.00€ and include 12 mixers."

:eek:

believe it or not, but this is actually one of the cheapest VIP rates on the island.

I think the way the economy is going un europe, at least as far as I am concerned, ibiza will just cater to the super rich if it keeps going this way. And then it will truly be: the island is dead. Ushuia for the super wealthy and famous and pacha for " the clock punching ilk" featuring its famous night fmif.
( feat. Montgomery burns)

A joke.

I think the way the economy is going un europe, at least as far as I am concerned, ibiza will just cater to the super rich if it keeps going this way. And then it will truly be: the island is dead. Ushuia for the super wealthy and famous and pacha for " the clock punching ilk" featuring its famous night fmif.
( feat. Montgomery burns)

A joke.
What a load of bollocks.

Obviously it will not get to such point.

Just a tiny joke.

All a matter of perspective isn't it. But I think it's a shocking waste of money personally. I'm sure these guys, and many others, would agree :

http://en.ptcgaza.com/
Wow, I agree totally with sentiment mate but unfortunately the £££ make the world go round. Disgusting as it is, it's not the reality for people desperate to get bottle service and can say as such. Just proves what a ridiculous state the planet as a whole is in if you look at the grand scheme if things! :(

Just had a week in Crete where the price of a large beer in the small fishing village I was staying was ........ 3 euros. This was practically right across the board in all of the bars/club and seemed the benchmark everywhere, not a wasted bottle of bubbly in sight!

^^ The playgrounds of the rich and famous (which Ibiza now most certainly is and more so by the year) are exceptions in the Med. Like Costa Smeralda, St Tropez, Monaco, Positano, Capri etc. Little enclaves of shocking prices for the "aspirational" alongside the landed rich. But it does still amuse me that those with the wallets to fork out hundreds of euros for a meal at Cipriani can't even keep their shorts half way up their butts up the steps of their jet. :rolleyes: ...

article-2710277-201C06EF00000578-555_634x610.jpg

There are many many other stunning places without the price tag contagion that comes with the package these "VIPs" bring with them.

It's just a shame it's getting so out of control. You can still have a great time in Ibiza for not very much, but unless you steer the main areas, clubs, beach clubs etc. a very wide berth and 'go local' then sooner or later you'll get hit with large expenses often (but not always) for not very much back. And even going out of town, you can forget saving anything by staying anywhere with the words "Can" in the title. Nice as Agroturismos are they are astronomically expensive for what they are.

Only thing I'll say is that boat day charters / watersports etc. are still cheap relatively speaking if you are careful. Minimum prices in parts of Algarve and South of France far exceeded Ibiza in prices for those on a like-for-like years ago. So it's a case of what you want in the end.

Ive read plenty of stories of how back in the day, people and celebrities with real money would go to the island and act (and even pretend) like they had just as much money as an average joe, blend in , tailor their behaviour to fit in with the islands culture. This is disappearing rapidly and now its the opposite, people without real money pretending they have loads, and being pretty brash with it.
back when I first started going in 97 I would not have had a clue how to get a VIP table, I thought you had to be invited to the VIP. Now its a couple of clicks on a mouse. Mind you not many would have wanted VIP as back then there was still more of a feeling that clubbing was about all being together, now in many peoples eyes its about whos got the biggest bottle of vodka and seating area

Ibiza has ALWAYS been a playground of the rich and famous. There has always been palatial Villas, super yachts in the marina and exclusive clubs and restaurants for the elite. So what some wannabe posho's want to pay ££££s to sit down? Let 'em! As long as people want to dance there will be a dancefloor. So what if the big clubs turn in to clones of Vegas? we'll all go to the smaller clubs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28472079

Interesting for Afrojack and Angello to complain about entry fees and say they are 'ruining' Ibiza, which surely are directly correlated to DJ booking fees in most cases. Also Afrojack complaining about VIP culture seems a little rich? He also holds Mykonos up as a cheaper alternative to Ibiza (apparently 10 euro entry fee). If anyone has ever been to Mykonos it is A) not cheap, B) VIP central.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28472079

Interesting for Afrojack and Angello to complain about entry fees and say they are 'ruining' Ibiza, which surely are directly correlated to DJ booking fees in most cases. Also Afrojack complaining about VIP culture seems a little rich? He also holds Mykonos up as a cheaper alternative to Ibiza (apparently 10 euro entry fee). If anyone has ever been to Mykonos it is A) not cheap, B) VIP central.

I'm glad he thinks that, I hope he turns his back on Ibiza and never returns, along with Aoki, Guetta, Avicii, Diplo and all the rest of them.

Bizarre how R1 are running this story in every news bulletin while simultaneously broadcasting from Ibiza?? Its like turning up to someone's party then slagging it off on FB while your still there.

Ive read plenty of stories of how back in the day, people and celebrities with real money would go to the island and act (and even pretend) like they had just as much money as an average joe, blend in , tailor their behaviour to fit in with the islands culture. This is disappearing rapidly and now its the opposite, people without real money pretending they have loads, and being pretty brash with it.
back when I first started going in 97 I would not have had a clue how to get a VIP table, I thought you had to be invited to the VIP. Now its a couple of clicks on a mouse. Mind you not many would have wanted VIP as back then there was still more of a feeling that clubbing was about all being together, now in many peoples eyes its about whos got the biggest bottle of vodka and seating area

100% correct. It's exactly this turnaround we all moan about. It's not just Ibiza either. The media is to blame of course - and the fact that nowadays entertainment and sport are the fastest ways to get rich quick, even if in many cases your talent plays second fiddle to nepotism and who your friends are. Utter breakdown of values in society blah blah blah won't rant on as no-one nowadays wants to hear it anyway.

I basically don't give two hoots about what these people do out of sight or in a discreet way, but I do when they come in and try to take over the place with their monumental egos. That goes for footballers, film stars, wannabe DJs (PH), talentless singers etc etc Just naff off and go fritter all your money away indulging a bunch of mindless hangers-on and layabouts ... preferably somewhere else. It's actually the mindless hangers-on and layabouts spraying champagne about on someone else's tab who give me the biggest PITA (Bieber excepted who likely takes the crown on his own account entirely). Get some self-respect lol.

It's not any kind of positive reflection on who you are that someone with more money than sense throws you (relative) crumbs off their table :rolleyes: .. nor is it anything to crow about that you went to the same place or ate at the same overpriced restaurant as some celebrity. The fact that Paris Hilton and her lap-man rented the same boat I did, for example, makes me more thankful than ever that the seats were wiped down properly and the vessel adequately disinfected of any residue of her unpalatable trivial self-obsessed aura first :eek:.

Ah well, those old days when celebs came to mingle in and not be recognized is long gone in this age of self-aggrandisement, social media and relentless Paparazzi. Shame really. Now I'm off to book my trip to Mustique where I can maybe still get some peace and quiet before the nouveau riche move in en masse.

All very sad...I have seen things change every year I come (18years). Something's for the worse personally (for others it is the opposite), but generally for the good. I guess I have grown up from being the pilled out clubber to the loon who appreciates other things. I've said and noticed before that I thought generally people in the clubs are getting older. Whilst once when we had less cash we'd be happy slumming it, now we have grown up with our careers etc and like a bit more quality. I do think andy makes a good point, if you don't have punters coming through at the lower end of the market, then there could be a gulf in a few years when there isn't the people wanting to experience the quality.

This is probably the most interesting point of the whole thread from my point of view.

It would appear that in many cases today's West End-dwelling beer monsters are tomorrow's "quality" clubbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back