ED SHEERAN + SAINT RAYMOND | IBIZA ROCKS | 23/07/14

McRackin

Super Moderator
Still buzzing from another magical night of live music at Ibiza Rocks, who this week celebrated their 9th anniversary (4th and final in Mallorca) with the return of one of the biggest stars on the planet right now and the busiest wednesday of the season so far (there was people queuing outside more than an hour before the doors opened... now that's dedication!). Thankfully MTV was there to capture everything that happened on stage and behind the scenes and will dedicate one of this year's seven shows to it.

005+-+copia.JPG

By the time this week's opening act hit the stage the hotel was rammed, definitely the biggest crowd for a support in recent times.

Saint Raymond (real name Callum Burrows), who is currently on tour with Sheeran, is a singer and songwriter from Nottingham who has released a few EPs and whose music reminds me of Two Door Cinema Club among others.

Accompanied by the three members of his band, he proved that his summery and vibrant songs work perfectly live and that he has an incredible voice. We enjoyed songs like "Everything She Wants", "Young Blood", "Bonfires", the short "As We Are Now" (performed by Callum alone), "Ghosts" or the superb "Fall At Your Feet".

Great concert from a rising star that is bound to be big!

85e+-+copia.JPG

In between the two acts they showed in the big screen in the stage images of the best concerts we've seen this 9 years. So many fond memories...

Ed Sheeran first played on the island at Ibiza Rocks' 2012 opening party presenting his quintuple platinum debut album + (2011) and this year they brought him back for the birthday party. With the second album X under his belt, released just one month ago, he's more popular than ever before so it wasn't surprising to see the hotel so busy.

Two years ago with only one album the ginger man played a quite long set so this time wasn't going to be different and he gave us eighty-five minutes of music with his usual stripped-back style. It amazes me how just him alone on stage with his small guitar and his loop pedal can put up such a great show and keep your attention from beginning to end. Aside from two screens behind him that was it, no gimmicks of any kind needed.

The English artist appeared on stage and went straight into "I'm A Mess", with deafening screams echoing across the entire venue. He performed a lot of his latest material, like "Don't" or "Thinking Out Loud", along with the most popular songs from his first album, like "Lego House" or "Drunk", with plenty of sing-a-long moments. Biggest moment of the show came with the massive hit "Give Me Love" (which was sung by literally everybody) followed by "Sing" (where he demanded that the crowd wave their shirts in the air) after which he left the stage, but people continued singing it until he came back for the encore, which included an extended version of "You Need Me, I Don't Need You", "The A Team" and "I See Fire" as the grand finale.

If we had to measure how good it was by how loud the fans were screaming, we could say this was one of the best nights ever at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel!

223+-+copia.JPG

Right after the concert finished I stopped in the VIP for a bit and the fans were allowed in a room to meet the star. It was worth to pop in there just to witness the big smiles on the faces of these young fans after the encounter with their idol and after getting pictures taken with him, posters signed, etc... happy birthday Ibiza Rocks and I hope you continue making us smile for many years!

Half of the season is done but there's still many biggies to look forward to... check the line-ups here:
:arrow: http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/ibiza_rocks_i.htm

We celebrate 9 years of Ibiza Rocks with live music under the stars from Ed Sheeran and Saint Raymond!

Back