What exactly is going on with Gatecrasher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

binaryfinary

Heard loads of stories about Gatecrasher this year, from DJs saying on Twitter they've cancelled their appearance (but the club is still advertising their name), to complex financial stuff about how they've no money left.

Anyone know what the score is?

Such a shame, because Eden, as it was last year, looked great after the refurb, some great nights and a great location if you're staying in San An.

Heard loads of stories about Gatecrasher this year, from DJs saying on Twitter they've cancelled their appearance (but the club is still advertising their name), to complex financial stuff about how they've no money left.

Anyone know what the score is?

Such a shame, because Eden, as it was last year, looked great after the refurb, some great nights and a great location if you're staying in San An.

Basically (I've been following this for quite some time), Gatecrasher are well known both in the UK and Abroad for refusing to sign contracts with artists who play for them.
So because there is no protection, Gatecrasher get out of having to pay their artists, or cover expenses (flights, hotels, etc). So this forced a lot of different artists to pull out. It's also lead to promoters such as Creche pulling out (I don't know the story behind Kisstory, but imagine it's the same issue... I may well be wrong on that though).
They have also been terrible at contact with agents. One agency discovered through this forum that their artist was no longer on a Crasher lineup, so pulled his gigs for the rest of the season.

They've used the 'second room not ready' reason for pulling half their lineups, but that's not true from what I've been told. It is ready, but the numbers aren't enough to warrant opening it, so because there are no contracts in place, they can just cancel and not have to pay.

Binary Finary - inspired by the producers?

One agency discovered through this forum that their artist was no longer on a Crasher lineup, so pulled his gigs for the rest of the season.
792.gif

Yeah inspired by Binary Finary the producers, 1998 got me into dance music in the first place and I always wanted to hear it live on the island, and did last year at Eden courtesy of Ferry Corsten.

Such a shame this has happened, because despite being near the fabled "west end" (which was pretty tame compared to what I was expecting) Eden/Crasher was just the same as any other club on the island--a good crowd of people, into their music, looking to have a good time. The refurb was stunning too, very well executed, though navigating the DJ booth with a full camera rig was a little tricky!

The main night I'm looking to go to is Garlands/Bedlam as it's my local back home and they're good guys who put on a great night.

Heard some rumours that the free alcohol is making people ill. Yeah, I bet it is.... "I only had 17 pints of it and it made me really ill, I couldn't stand up, the room was spinning, I was throwing up. Even the next day I felt like shit and had a banging headache."

Yeah inspired by Binary Finary the producers, 1998 got me into dance music in the first place and I always wanted to hear it live on the island, and did last year at Eden courtesy of Ferry Corsten.

Such a shame this has happened, because despite being near the fabled "west end" (which was pretty tame compared to what I was expecting) Eden/Crasher was just the same as any other club on the island--a good crowd of people, into their music, looking to have a good time. The refurb was stunning too, very well executed, though navigating the DJ booth with a full camera rig was a little tricky!

The main night I'm looking to go to is Garlands/Bedlam as it's my local back home and they're good guys who put on a great night.

Heard some rumours that the free alcohol is making people ill. Yeah, I bet it is.... "I only had 17 pints of it and it made me really ill, I couldn't stand up, the room was spinning, I was throwing up. Even the next day I felt like shit and had a banging headache."

:lol: 1989 is actually one of my favourite tracks of all time, particularly Alex M.O.R.P.H's remix of it. Hopefully going forward they will sort themselves out, however unlikely, and be a proper club and brand again. I have nothing but respect for what GC did for dance and trance music a decade ago.

Bedlam cancelled as well now, looks like Gatecrasher have well and truly f***ed everyone over.

I'm guessing it will be shut down by September. Hopefully by next year someone who knows how to run a club will have taken over the place, would be a shame to see the place go to ruin.

Really. Where is the news on Bedlam.

Quite a few people on the Gatecrasher website talked about the fact they thought it would be a disaster before the season started.

GC really was at the top of the tree Once in the glory years. The Lotherton Hall events that pre dated the more famous Summer Sound System along with the Republic were unfortunately a very long time ago. It's obvious whilst Simon Raine maybe is still something to do with the current setup. He is not the driving force in what was is going so disasteriously wrong with the Brand in Ibiza.

Bedlam cancelled as well now, looks like Gatecrasher have well and truly f***ed everyone over.

I'm guessing it will be shut down by September. Hopefully by next year someone who knows how to run a club will have taken over the place, would be a shame to see the place go to ruin.

Firstly I really don't know SanAn that well. But does the venue have a future? As other threads tell us, the West End is down in numbers, but places like Ocean, Cafe Del, Mambo are booming. Ushuaia has some massive EDM events that must be taking people away pre-midnight. The balance is back towards Ibiza Town and PDB. Booom now has ToolRoomKnights (which should on paper by a big night in SanAn), Defected is at Booom etc etc (all British brands). Is there room for a credible club in San An with so much going on?

To me gatecrasher spent too much time pissing about at the start of year while DJ's/Nights were being snapped up by clubs. The nights they have put on apart from 2 look abit shit tbh. I mean im from Birmingham and gatecrasher Birmingham put on better nights every week than GB/Ibiza.

Firstly I really don't know SanAn that well. But does the venue have a future? As other threads tell us, the West End is down in numbers, but places like Ocean, Cafe Del, Mambo are booming. Ushuaia has some massive EDM events that must be taking people away pre-midnight. The balance is back towards Ibiza Town and PDB. Booom now has ToolRoomKnights (which should on paper by a big night in SanAn), Defected is at Booom etc etc (all British brands). Is there room for a credible club in San An with so much going on?

I don't see why not, it just depends what nights you put on. A lot of people are attracted by names rather than the club. Staying in San An, I make trips to the likes of Space, Booom, Pacha, DC10, Amnesia, Privilege, Ushuaia, Sankeys, etc, because of the nights and music on offer, not so much the club itself. If Eden plays host to decent promotors, people will go yes.

I obviously don't know the ins and out, but I would bet money that the reason Crasher failed is due to dodgy investment and poor management decisions, nothing to do with attendance.

I'm HOPING, and that Facebook post above gives some credence to this idea, that maybe Crasher were just investors in the club, and they're going leave the island (and good riddance) and it'll just be back to good old Eden again.

If that is the case, such as shame that Crasher, or whoever was responsible, have ruined an entire season for so many people.

I feel worse for the DJs involved. I know some of these guys, albeit vaguely through work, and they're honest, hardworking guys who've now been denied the chance to play out the season on an island they all love. It's awful.

Exactly mate, san an to me is/has been the heartbeat of Ibiza for many years, whether your stopping there or over other end of island, your end up venturing over there. A lot of clubs are out the way but people will still travel to them for the nights that are put on so gatecrasher certainly wont be any different. I hope somethings sorted soon as I use to love going eden back in the day.

What's go on with this place? parties getting cancelled left right & centre & Eddie Halliwell saying he'll not be playing anymore gigs this summer because of breach of contract. super8 & tab never played the other week because of breach of contact. Seems they don't have the right people running it, the people in charge are running it into the ground as far as i can see.

What they need is a decent brand like Fabric to come in, put on some cool nights like Sankeys Ibiza do, attract the workers and in turn attract the tourist. The Gatecrasher brand IMO isn't a selling point to most people, if anything it will have the opposite effect. I don't that the current position can be recovered unfortunately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back