Mike & Claire Manumission's Phantasmagoria

actually sounds ok to me (Craig Richards is superb) ...but i am a bit confused...as i think the whole point of this is....to be confused... you can buy tickets to watch a film and you get food (feck the food!) etc. its a mystery...good luck, seems like something new

"What baffles me is all those people holding their smartphones in the air and i ask myself ‘what are they going to do with that footage?’ Do they sit at home and enjoy what they should have enjoyed in the actual moment?

And who made the DJs so important?

Of course the DJ is an integral part of a good party, he or she is definitely essential but to only worship that one element puts the whole system in question."

Remember when Manumission didn't announce their DJs, you just went along and knew if would be decent. Changed days, now people go along to stand and hear DJs they are meant to like according to the hipsters in white socks, vests and jaunty angled back to front snap backs.

I don’t think that’s always necessarily true, it may be the case in a lot of clubs and festival tents across the UK but I still feel confident that I can go to Ibiza and find a sound emerging that I wouldn’t have had a fecking clue about otherwise. Plus I don’t think Booom! reflects that policy. Manumission was a promotion unmatched in the island’s history, it became the club it was in...it wasn’t the fact you were going to Privilege it was purely the experience of Manumission you were entering. So there is a void where that was before, the island has moved on in parts but not others. It’s definitely in some kind of transition period and with the likes of Ushuaia out there, I think it’s very important to look at nights like this as cultivating a fresh look on what that distinct atmosphere from the mid 90s/early 00s was. Whether it revives it or takes it somewhere new again is another question.
Derrick Carter on your opening night speaks of the basic fundamentals to me.

Loved Manumission, not a fan of Booom, but I hope this is a success. Jury is still out for me at the moment, but I am prepared to be dazzled.

It's funny that the last "sex shows" were in 1998 & from a personal note the last time there was more than one dwarf (myself) was 1997 yet people seem to dwell on these things like they were a constant feature of "Manumission".... The mind boggles

I think it's silly to try and deny the reputation of the earlier shows and how that created an initial buzz and consequently the mystique surrounding the performances.
And back to my point Dirk Bigler...you have the organisers of the night involved in it's cabaret...so of course it has always been centered around them!

It's funny that the last "sex shows" were in 1998 & from a personal note the last time there was more than one dwarf (myself) was 1997 yet people seem to dwell on these things like they were a constant feature of "Manumission".... The mind boggles
Just out of interest why were they stopped?

Back