2014 The Quietest Season in the west end

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I haven't been around the bay for a about a week and a half now, so can't say for sure, maybe I have been misinformed or been told the wrong name.
I can say however that the bay is also very quiet this season, even at it's peak time of 1am.

... They're a victim of their own success for some, but on the flip side, would they still be around today if they had continued untouched since the early 90s?

Actually, I am pretty sure yes, they would be still around, but I don't want them to be untouched for decades. Evolution its all what it is about and this could have also be done in a more moderate way.
Today, they are overturning it. Especially for the last years, there are so many venues, events day after day, during the day, sunset etc.
There is no time left to relax.
Todays worklive is extremely fast, so why should you keep that pace also during holidays? Probably people start to recognize this and take their time out in the early evening. Rather prefer a quiet meal with some drinks before heading to the Clubs instead of getting hammered in the West End.

came back yesterday, what I experienced was, PdB was already good crowded (also on the beach) and getting more and more from Saturday on. The nights we visitted were also very perfectly crowded. Of course, in August Coxy is more packed (and may the sound is not that hard?) but I enjoyed to have some space behind the bar and the dance floor itself was perfectly busy. Departure and Ants at Ushuhaia was also full and so was Solumon. What I've missed was a typical house night like defected in Booom (but went for Carl that night). Generally it seems to me that Booom sticks to house music. We loved the drinks in Pacha, bit more expensive (at least on the terrace) but you really get something for your money (premium spirits and a lot of it!)

Monday evening we have been to San An, as two of our friends where first timers, the area around Cafe del Mar and Mambo was full (chairs and also the rocks in the front), also the chairs / tables in Cafe del Mar with 45€ minimum consumption per person where all gone. Also Salinas was very busy on Monday. What I've loved much: there are more taxis (+100%?) and they have a new dispatching system, was really happy about this.

Last edited:
i think what he means are the tables in the new bit (closer to mambo) where they also serve food. they had that rule for this part of CdM already last year. i think the normal tables right in front of the original CdM are still 'free', but am not entirely sure

i think what he means are the tables in the new bit (closer to mambo) where they also serve food. they had that rule for this part of CdM already last year. i think the normal tables right in front of the original CdM are still 'free', but am not entirely sure

Yes you are right, it was on the new area very close to mambo (to close when it comes to music). But the only "first row" seats available when we arrived. To be more specific, this policy just applied to the first row, and we have not checked other areas. We had a few beers and cocktails and with some nachos we where able to spend the money.

CDM always confused me... Is the original part never open anymore!?!?? For a few years didn't even realise the new part at the corner was actually CDM!!!! I thought it was just the original place and that it was always closed..

CDM always confused me... Is the original part never open anymore!?!?? For a few years didn't even realise the new part at the corner was actually CDM!!!! I thought it was just the original place and that it was always closed..

no ric, the original part is open as usual

Reactions: ric
Happy days... Looks like i'll be having a few alcoholic free ( :lol: ) beverages there...

well I've just booked my flight home for next Thursday. So sad to be leaving, but due to the lack of work, because of how quiet San An is, it had to be done.
I also think that's me done with Ibiza now, not sure I could handle returning even for a holiday after working there, seems like it would be too sad.

Andy, you have to move with the times when places evolve. Relatively speaking it's only a tiny part of the island where things have changed this year. Other parts of the island have gone through similar highs and lows before and will again. But if demand is down this year in San Antoni then it's just one of those things.

The West End is such a small part of what a really beautiful island has to offer. If what you love is limited to San An and the people there I honestly think this is more a reflection of not having got out to appreciate the rest of the island more, especially the North etc. But it's understandable in a way if you've worked there and stuck to a relatively small 'stomping ground', the seeming demise of that takes on a proportionately greater significance and more so if you depend on it for a living.

Get home and then have a look back objectively... and if you can take some time out next week to see the rest of Ibiza whilst it's there on a plate. And I don't mean Playa d'en Tosser - there's the whole East coast up to Es Canar, Salinas etc. Your attitude about going back may change after you look at these places objectively, and also look beyond the bars and clubs. It's one of the most beautiful and rewarding places to be that I've been, but very few people can expect Ibiza to provide a steady living over a Season and cover their costs. You can, however, still appreciate the positives of the island - and accept that the price of being there is often instability and work can be unstable unless you're a top-name DJ etc. so you need to be prepared to heavily subsidise your time there (as so many wind up doing) when work isn't about.

Having a steady income blowing up in your face and watching a venue which had likely 'come of age' close after so much effort is as much of a headf*ck anywhere as in San Antoni. But it happens all over all the time for different reasons. I can fully appreciate this is all likely to come with a lot of mental and financial issues to grapple with right now. But in reality August will most likely be busy enough (as always) and so I think objectively you just went over a month too soon, the bars misjudged the market and you had some very bad luck with the venue involved not having the pockets to ride a lull. Being self-supporting in Ibiza is hard for anyone and even people like the Sankeys guys have nearly bankrupted themselves trying to get something enduring off the ground there whilst their club was empty at the beginning. With a few notable exceptions, bars and clubs just aren't a steady or secure line of business to depend on.

Places are reinvented, faces change and it all goes on regardless. Things turning sour does make the scales drop from your eyes - but that's a good thing in a way as it helps you separate the dream from the reality. If you can't live with the reality alongside the dream then it's definitely time to move on. But don't blame the island - nothing's really changed there. It's the visitors to it and what they want (or don't as the case may be) responsible for what you're going through :).

I'm a bit worried now, I booked my holiday shortly before this thread appeared and I've been lurking ever since. I've been coming to Ibiza for 6 or 7 years and every year it seems quieter and quieter, this year I'm coming on my own and staying in San An again and I'm a bit worried I might end up alone in a ghost town! As I haven't paid for the hotel yet I suppose I could consider staying on the other side of the island.

I'm a bit worried now, I booked my holiday shortly before this thread appeared and I've been lurking ever since. I've been coming to Ibiza for 6 or 7 years and every year it seems quieter and quieter, this year I'm coming on my own and staying in San An again and I'm a bit worried I might end up alone in a ghost town! As I haven't paid for the hotel yet I suppose I could consider staying on the other side of the island.
I went the end of June and the West end was busy enough, and that was a month ago! Don't expect it to be a ghost town at all :D

The negativity in this thread is bad news, but on the face of it Ibiza isn't anywhere near dead yet, San an has needed a revamp for a long time. Only the strong survive in these tough times, I hope it picks up for all concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back