Car Hire and Credit Cards

kaboom

Three days after booking and already we've been thrown a curveball...

We intend to hire a car while in Ibiza next July, but every car hire site I've looked at specifies that a credit card is required at the time of collection.

For most people this isn't a problem, but neither of us have or can have a credit card.

Does anyone know of a company on the island that will rent a car without the need for a credit card, and how I go about contacting them to get a quote.

Thanks in Advance.

With motolouis off here I have booked a hire car a few times without a credit card, had to pay the full excess waiver though. There website does state you have to have a credit card but i've got away with it a few times.

Pretty much every car hire company on the planet will require a credit card.

When did you last try to apply for a card? I don't mean to pry, but if bad credit is your issue, then Martin Lewis (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/) has some good tips.

I got a credit card for the sole purpose of car hire, I use it for nothing else. The credit card company probably hates me for it, but it works.

Some companies allow to use a debit card I think, but the money actually vanishes from your account during the hire, so not very helpful. Plus, with a credit card, if a dodgy company won't give you some or all of your deposit back when you return home, just do a card chargeback on them. You can't do this with a debit card so it is more of a risk.

I have hired with a debit card but it was visa, I paid full insurance so no excess and nothing more was taken. Try the smaller companies in the towns when you arrive ;)

Bear in mind you can insure the hire car with your own insurance if your policy allows. Can't remember the ins and outs of this, but I read it recently. Recommended too if you can afford it, because it covers things like locks and windscreens, which hire companies normally exclude.

I'll have to try and find what I was reading now.

You still have to have a credit card and leave the x 100's euro deposit even with your own insurance. Not good if wanting to use a debit card.

Thanks for your responses folks, to answer your question binaryfinery, yes its bad credit. We're still mid-way through an IVA, so even trying to apply for a card is a no-go.

Ive spoken to 'Turbo' rent-a-car in San An (cant wait to see the phone bill!) who say they don't require a credit card, although I cant get a quote from them yet as their system, either on-line or at their office, stretches to next June yet, they suggest trying it mid-winter.

I'd prefer to get a car sorted before we travel, as that way we'll be certain of getting one, plus it's usually cheaper to book in advance. Planning to give 'Turbo' another ring once the system allows a quote to 'double-double check' they wont need a credit card then make a booking. Fingers crossed.

Failing car hire, whats it like renting a Quad while on the island? I don't suppose many 18 year olds go on their first hol with a credit card, but still hire a Quad.

Back