2014 season so far

I've been here since May 1st and the island is dead. It's that bad that the club I DJ'ed at closed it's doors for good on Sunday night, and I don't think it will be the only one. The West End is dead, as is most of San An, with the exception of Mambo & Ocean Beach. I've also visited PDB a couple of times and the streets are just full of ticket sellers and hardly any tourists.
In the 5 years I've been to Ibiza, including the summers I have worked, this season is BY FAR the quietest.

sorry to contradict andy, but your feeling really only reflects san antonio - and the west end very specifically. have replied in more detail in the other thread you've created.

the 'proper' closing party period is pretty late now

This is great for me now, since my work imposed a holiday embargo period from the mid-end of Sept

Fortunately I booked this years Sept 18th week long trip 2 weeks before they imposed the ban last year :)

I've already said it elsewhere, but tonight is a super busy night in the clubs. avicii opening was rammed (I think sold out or very close to that). then we love was also packed for disclosure. when they finished people spread out more over the club, but it was definitely a very successful we love overall. am now in pacha typing this while I see the busiest solomun+1 of the season so far. must admit I didn't expect pacha to be that busy tonight, seeing what else is going on, but I was definitely wrong.

as for pacha, the venue is having a great season up until now. weakest night is currently ibiza rocks house (although still busy enough, don't worry) while all other nights are working very well. my personal favourite is easily solomun+1, even though I'm not a big fan of him as a DJ (great producer though). it's simply a night with a great crowd, superb vibe and mostly very very good music. compared to insane (which sometimes is great and sometimes a bit flat) it just has a clearer line and a proper identity. big up for them to create this in just over a season. diynamic doing BOTH destino and cova santa is another matter though.

hi guys,

thought i'd open a thread for this season (and will stick it too) so we can discuss this season a bit.

i've read a few comments on here that apparently the island is quieter than normally. this isn't actually true - the latest numbers posted on the diario de biza today http://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuse...-registra-8000-movimientos-900000/705490.html confirm that in june 9% more passengers have arrived than in the same month last year. and as expected, the nation with the biggest growth is the netherlands - since that movie came out two years ago (verlievt of ibiza), a huge ibiza trend started in the netherlands and loads of them are coming. they're everywhere now.

the island as such is really busy - you can always take the beaches as an example. what's true though is that a lot of the parties are a tad quieter than last year currently. why? a few reasons

1. - too much on offer. again people are overdoing it, simple as.

2. - entry prices. there is a good chunk of people who come to ibiza, but just cannot afford to pay those prices (entry & drinks). so they choose a few club nights and do bora bora (just to name a free example) a few times. I think that, compared to a few years ago, people are doing less club nights per stay than before.

3. - not all tourists are clubbers. keep in mind only about 25% of all people arriving in ibiza are actually heading to the clubs. and also there is the footie worldcup factor - people coming later this year.

will update this thread whenever we get news and such. i for one do expect the clubs to get busier from next week onwards, once the worldcup's done.

feel free to add your thoughts!

We've just got back from a 5 day stay. It did seem quiet to me, or quieter than I expected at least. Went to we love for Sasha and James Zabiela and none of the rooms were full, to be honest we ended up on the premier e'tage for most of the night making 1 night party friends but the club seemed to be managing crowds into rooms to make it feel fuller. I hear Disclosure's residency has been packed most nights.

We checked out experimental beach club on the end of Salinas up by the Salt pans, great place. ECC in London is great and they've transported that vibe and the great cocktails. Food is good, not cheap but wasn't expecting it to be. Don't go if you're a stickler for efficient service... We're not but it was amusingly chaotic. Greats day/night nonetheless.

Stivi, firstly thanks for all the great info you provide on here, I'm sure it's appreciated by all! Could you offer also some advice on early October, we're out for 5 days from October 4th, plan is to do Space and DC10 closing but which bars are open that late? Thinking along the lines of KM5, El Churinguito, Experimental beach club. Also does Cova Santa open that late into the season, drove past it and it looks like a great place for an alldayer!

Sorry stivi.....I wasn't meaning the white isle.....way too cool for our main holiday..... I need the sun!!!!

Mexico is a little out of our price range as accomodation is looking like £2.5-£3k between us for two weeks all inc plus quite a bit for spending money
Fancy Thailand but the missus thinks its infested with snakes so won't go....

Andy if you're interested in Mexico, check out Tulum, it's half an hour south of playa del carmen, v cheap local bus or 25$ taxi ride. It's quieter and the beaches are stunning with much less people. Few nights on down there 2 but it hasn't kicked off.

I'd personally avoid Cancun if you want to see anything original about Mexico.

If you want to mix up and sweet beach holiday with some partying bpm festival is on every January and the line ups are cracking. People are starting to call playa del carmen the Ibiza of the Caribbean.

We've been twice and never spent more that £3k between us.

bons - why didn't you come into el salon for our party then? that was very busy :) but yes, discoteca and terraza weren't packed that night. true, disclosure dates at we love are VERY busy always.

i'll say it again - most of the clubs are generally a bit less busy because everywhere is SO DAMN MUCH going on this year. can't wait to get official july arrival numbers from the airport to hopefully be able to prove everyone that in fact the island is busier than ever. the traffic is one good sign - i've never seen that much traffic on the island since I first set foot on ibiza.

as for experimental beach club - yes, lovely place. also ate well when I went there last year and also not surprised at the service not being the best - let's just say it's all very laid-back ;) I'll be definitely going back in september when you can actually catch the sunset from there :)

as for your october trip - KM5 and el chiringuito will definitely still be open, experimental probably as well, but not 100% sure. ask me later again about cova santa, might be possible they do something there around closings (they'll definitely do music on closing afters, but that's before you arrive).

bons - why didn't you come into el salon for our party then? that was very busy :) but yes, discoteca and terraza weren't packed that night. true, disclosure dates at we love are VERY busy always.

i'll say it again - most of the clubs are generally a bit less busy because everywhere is SO DAMN MUCH going on this year. can't wait to get official july arrival numbers from the airport to hopefully be able to prove everyone that in fact the island is busier than ever. the traffic is one good sign - i've never seen that much traffic on the island since I first set foot on ibiza.

as for experimental beach club - yes, lovely place. also ate well when I went there last year and also not surprised at the service not being the best - let's just say it's all very laid-back ;) I'll be definitely going back in september when you can actually catch the sunset from there :)

as for your october trip - KM5 and el chiringuito will definitely still be open, experimental probably as well, but not 100% sure. ask me later again about cova santa, might be possible they do something there around closings (they'll definitely do music on closing afters, but that's before you arrive).

Haha, was that you guys letting loose playing Simply Red?! Loved it! Ended up chatting with Andy Carroll & Ian Belvins upstairs as well. Love that more Balearic vibe, you can probably guess I'm a clubbier of a certain age from that. I'll always love Space, it holds lots of lovely memories. Is there any truth in the horrible rumour I've been hearing? That it might have to close next year????

Shame about the music on closing, that looks like a good party, with a decent crowd.

it was paul reynolds who played simply red ;) that was our anniversary party - so much fun.

well yeah, the short story is, the land where space is built on belongs to matutes (ring a bell? owns half of playa d'en bossa, including ushuaïa, and a lot more in ibiza) and space's contract is running out, i think at the end of 2015, but there are conflicting infos around about this. obviously matutes has plans with this venue but you hear all sorts of rumours about this at the moment. until nothing's definite and certain I won't comment at all.

it was paul reynolds who played simply red ;) that was our anniversary party - so much fun.

well yeah, the short story is, the land where space is built on belongs to matutes (ring a bell? owns half of playa d'en bossa, including ushuaïa, and a lot more in ibiza) and space's contract is running out, i think at the end of 2015, but there are conflicting infos around about this. obviously matutes has plans with this venue but you hear all sorts of rumours about this at the moment. until nothing's definite and certain I won't comment at all.

Ahh great! My friends, lots of scousers (out there for a wedding) loved your party! Congrats on the anniversary! Shame I didn't hang around, the mood we were in, I probably would have pooped over for a chat ;-)

Yeah, so I heard something very similar, I guess the wheels of progress are hard to stop. Another Ushuaia would turn that strip into a mini Vegas/Miami, not somewhere I'd fancy. The depth of music is still on the island though, which gives me hope that there will always be somewhere people can drop a bit of fleetwood mac/ simply red with a warm breeze in their hair and massive grin on their face!

I'm going out on October 3rd for Insane/Ushuaia/Space closings. I'm just wondering, will the regular bars in PDB still be open? I'm thinking places like Moma, Cocos, Pure Life, etc. What do think?

Also, I'm staying at Hard Rock because we got a good deal before it was finished. It's quite a walk from there to the heart of PDB. Does anyone know if there's a bus or anything, and will it be running that time of year?

Cheers

those bars will still be open and your hotel is actually in the heart of playa den bossa, within only a few minutes you're everywhere!

Back